No announcement yet.

Tips for cutting back on sodium?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    That's my only vice. I love salt. Wish they made a salt sub like sweet and low.
    Yeah Sweet and Low. I'm not sold on that stuff. There is controversy about the effects of artificial sweeteners.

http://www.totalbeauty.com/mobile/content/gallery/best-worst-sugar-sub/p104142/page2

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
      Yeah Sweet and Low. I'm not sold on that stuff. There is controversy about the effects of artificial sweeteners.

http://www.totalbeauty.com/mobile/co.../p104142/page2
      That's why I only use on packet for tea, usually one or two a day at most.

Comment

Since it’s possibly hereditary it might be your natural baseline. Have you noticed an increase or has it always been high? It seems counterintuitive but increasing your water intake could lower your bp

Comment

Originally posted by Hnnnggg View Post
          Since it’s possibly hereditary it might be your natural baseline. Have you noticed an increase or has it always been high? It seems counterintuitive but increasing your water intake could lower your bp
          I always thought sodium made you retain more water weight?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            I always thought sodium made you retain more water weight?
            You’re exactly right, high sodium concentrations in blood causes reabsorption of water in back into circulation. Essentially an imbalance in osmolarity due to higher ion concentration in blood than filtrate. To counteract the imbalance an increase in fluid intake can decrease water retention by diluting sodium concentration in blood. Excess water is just excreted

Comment

Make your own food. High salt is in everything because that's the cheapest way to make things taste good. Even "low sodium" stuff is often salty.

Pepper opens your taste buds too so it's a helpful alternative.
              Last edited by Redd Foxx; 06-06-2018, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                Make your own food. High salt is in everything because that's the cheapest way to make things taste good. Even "low sodium" stuff is often salty.

Pepper opens your taste buds too so it's a helpful alternative.
                I use pepper often on salad, potatoes.

Comment

You may not wish to; if you would like to read an opposing viewpoint I'd suggest the book THE SALT FIX and articles and videos featuring author James DiNicolantonio.

Comment

Real food, less processed. Whole/natural foods and home cooked meals

Usually find the good stuff costs a bit more or needs you doing it

Natural peanut butter is a good example. Get a decent proper peanut butter with no additives..zero salt. Get a cheaper version with additives and its sodium per spoon

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
                      High blood pressure (sort of) runs in my family and I'm trying to maintain a diet where I don't take in a bunch of excess sodium.

It seems like everywhere you turn, food is loaded with sodium and if you don't watch it at all, you may very well take in 300% the daily recommended sodium in a day.

One cool trick I found so far is that steel cut oats have no sodium whereas the quicker oatmeal has a decent amount. It takes about 1/2 hour to make, but I just make a gigantic batch for the whole week.
                      Lift weights or do some type of strength training 3x per week, run sprints or long distance a minimum of 3x per week, and train really hard 3x per week and you should be fine. Sodium isn't inherently bad for you. You need sodium in your body, it's an electrolyte. If you cut sodium down to damn near nothing then you're going to have problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X