No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Causes Girl To Drop Out of College

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
    You obviously don't use Ubuntu. Your characterization is completely inaccurate. It is possible to do anything you need without even touching the CLI. *snip
    B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T. Just two examples for instance. Visudo for user specific su pass bypassing, and compiling apps from source. No conflicts? Ha! Have you even used Synaptic before? This issue occurs periodically depending on what app you're trying to install to dress the distro up. I've had to use aptitude several times to clean up packages or synap to uninstall stock/install my package to resolve issues. It CAN happen.

I knew you were going to go the bash Windows route, but here's what I have to say about it, there is more tinkering going on in the Ubuntu and PSUbuntu forums trying to get hardware and win port software to work for Ubuntu than the headaches you will ever encounter fiddling with Windows in comparison. 99.9% of the complaints with Windows vs. Linux revolve around M$ and their corner cutting OS's vulnerability to rootkits and spyware/viruses from 3rd party sources. My deal with this is, at least on the internet end (minus software), 100% of this is avoidable if dingbat PC users knew how to use Internet Explorer. You see, in IE options you have the ability to zone sites to security levels. Trusted sites you should give more liberties to and untrusted ones you just deny all scripting and active-x control use to... or you can download Firefox. All spyware/virus related issues go from hectic to nil doing one or the other. Problem solved. No running to a new OS necessary.

If anything, the real reason folks should move over to a free OS is to get big brother off of their computer, not because of mild software, software/hardware issues. Ubuntu is a WIP, it's not done yet and shouldn't be recommended to 'puter noobs.

And other than the no data loss deal and security superiority, Windows still has Ubuntu beat. In 3 years that will be another story though. They're getting better, but it's just not there yet in ease of use. Ubuntu has come a long way since Dapper, but that's all I'm giving it.
    Last edited by Haglerwins; 01-15-2009, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I forgot to add that compared to your driver problem for your printer, fully modding a PSUbuntu to run all gaming emulators in Ubuntu without practical internet access (Ubuntu hardware incompatability) is the single greatest headache I've ever had in dealing with computers in the last 10 years. I'm an accomplished web developer, I have IDE modded and custom flashed Xboxes before and the hoops I had to go through to get arcade/console emulation working to point-and-click satisfaction (for my computer illiterate brother) made that stuff look like child's play.

Comment

Ubuntu is awesome, im a big fan of anything free. I use Blender alot for 3D modelling, if Ubuntu was able to run modern games I would use it, it's a fantastic OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Haglerwins View Post
          B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T. Just two examples for instance. Visudo for user specific su pass bypassing, and compiling apps from source. No conflicts? Ha! Have you even used Synaptic before? This issue occurs periodically depending on what app you're trying to install to dress the distro up. I've had to use aptitude several times to clean up packages or synap to uninstall stock/install my package to resolve issues. It CAN happen.

I knew you were going to go the bash Windows route, but here's what I have to say about it, there is more tinkering going on in the Ubuntu and PSUbuntu forums trying to get hardware and win port software to work for Ubuntu than the headaches you will ever encounter fiddling with Windows in comparison. 99.9% of the complaints with Windows vs. Linux revolve around M$ and their corner cutting OS's vulnerability to rootkits and spyware/viruses from 3rd party sources. My deal with this is, at least on the internet end (minus software), 100% of this is avoidable if dingbat PC users knew how to use Internet Explorer. You see, in IE options you have the ability to zone sites to security levels. Trusted sites you should give more liberties to and untrusted ones you just deny all scripting and active-x control use to... or you can download Firefox. All spyware/virus related issues go from hectic to nil doing one or the other. Problem solved. No running to a new OS necessary.

If anything, the real reason folks should move over to a free OS is to get big brother off of their computer, not because of mild software, software/hardware issues. Ubuntu is a WIP, it's not done yet and shouldn't be recommended to 'puter noobs.

And other than the no data loss deal and security superiority, Windows still has Ubuntu beat. In 3 years that will be another story though. They're getting better, but it's just not there yet in ease of use. Ubuntu has come a long way since Dapper, but that's all I'm giving it.
          All hardware problems have to do with brand spanking new hardware that has not been implemented into the linux kernel, that has nothing to do with Ubuntu. Your average user will never have to compile a program from source. Using synaptic is a simple gui function that is much easier than sorting through a pack of cds and installing them and worrying about uninstalling old versions.

The only problems I have ever had with Ubuntu have been when testing alpha releases.

You also neglect the problems of disk fragmentation associated with windows stupid file system.

Ubuntu is far superior to windows.

No problems, all the same program functionality.

It has every need of your average computer user covered at a much higher reliability rate.

Throw in that its free. Every program for it is free, and you have an unbeatable deal.

You would literally have to spend THOUSANDS of dollars to equip a windows based computer with software equal to that which Ubuntu comes with on the live cd.

Openoffice is equal to Msoffice. It supports all ms formats.
          Evolution is supperior to Outlook in my view.
          Firefox > IE
          Gimp > Mspaint
          Fspot > nothing (ms has not equal)
          Pidgin > all the bs you have to get with windows
          xsane image scanner > whatever bs windows comes with now.
          compiz > vista aero crap

add in that you can run any windows program under wine and you have a winner.

Oh yeah, you can run WINDOWS under ubuntu.

Comment

Listen, I'm well aware of wine and compiz fusion, no need to bring it up. I only even mentioned hardware, because you mentioned a software/hardware issue you had as reason alone to dismiss Windows. I haven't defragged my XP for 2 years and I really can't say I notice a damn thing in slow down and I haven't had a crash in about 6 months, and being that I have my internet properly adjusted I experience 0 problems from outside attacks since '01. **** I had multiple Ubuntu PPC crashes just last week trying to run startup manager and trying to access onBoard from accessibility.

The crux of the issue here was that you said you don't need to use CLI on Ubuntu when that is a lie, it becomes an imperative tool the more you desire to customize the distro and you know this, even a noob will find themselves having to use it when they eventually want to add an app that won't be in the repositories or their editing files owned by root. And I can get any program I want for free on a Windows machine. The best thing about Ubuntu is Gimp. That's Photoshop right there. The only software I've ever bought (that aren't games) are Photoshop 6 and Illustrator 9 back in 2000.

Comment

And how did I forget apt-get. This command is the first thing that scares the daylights out of newbies when they need to upgrade or add new ****. You can go to the Ubuntu forums right now and I bet there's some newb on there complaining how it's not easy to play with Ubuntu if you have to open up cli and know the basic syntax.

Comment

Originally posted by Haglerwins View Post
                Listen, I'm well aware of wine and compiz fusion, no need to bring it up. I only even mentioned hardware, because you mentioned a software/hardware issue you had as reason alone to dismiss Windows. I haven't defragged my XP for 2 years and I really can't say I notice a damn thing in slow down and I haven't had a crash in about 6 months, and being that I have my internet properly adjusted I experience 0 problems from outside attacks since '01. **** I had multiple Ubuntu PPC crashes just last week trying to run startup manager and trying to access onBoard from accessibility.

The crux of the issue here was that you said you don't need to use CLI on Ubuntu when that is a lie, it becomes an imperative tool the more you desire to customize the distro and you know this, even a noob will find themselves having to use it when they eventually want to add an app that won't be in the repositories or their editing files owned by root. And I can get any program I want for free on a Windows machine. The best thing about Ubuntu is Gimp. That's Photoshop right there. The only software I've ever bought (that aren't games) are Photoshop 6 and Illustrator 9 back in 2000.
                Your average user will never need to customize their distro. Most people don't go looking for fancy programs and widgets. Most people use their computers to surf the internet and do word processing.

For both of those ubuntu is superior out of the box by a country mile. No setting up firewalls and permissions and installing all sort of security apps. Its ready to go from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  Your average user will never need to customize their distro. Most people don't go looking for fancy programs and widgets. Most people use their computers to surf the internet and do word processing.

For both of those ubuntu is superior out of the box by a country mile. No setting up firewalls and permissions and installing all sort of security apps. Its ready to go from the start.
                  Isn't this a big reason why market share is dominated by Windows? Users will want to tweak their's when they got to places like Gnome Look or see folks running emulators and all sorts of things on it. It's one of the biggest parts of being a hipster.

And no on the security in my case, but I know where you are coming from. The only thing I have on my machine is the native firewall and the bundled active AV that came with this PC 3 years ago. It's even footing for all intents and purposes whether folks like it or not. Ubuntu's strength (like all Linux distros) is in the bells and whistles of complete customization. Windows functionality has been to such a degree already that switching is a bit of a hassle if everything already works for you. You'll only want Ubuntu if you want to show off imo (which I have done shamelessly)... or you're a spy, or work for a sensitive area in government lol.
                  Last edited by Haglerwins; 01-15-2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I run Ubuntu aslo.... I NEVER EVER EVER have ever had a virus...... Ubuntu is the ****!!!!!

Comment

That ***** is just stupid.

Comment

Working...
                      X