Ubuntu Causes Girl To Drop Out of College

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Causes Girl To Drop Out of College

You can't do anything with a computer without Microsoft Windows.....LOL

MCFARLAND (WKOW) -- Abbie Schubert paid more than $1,100 for a Dell laptop hoping to enroll in online classes at Madison Area Technical College, or MATC.
    But something stopped her: she bought an operating system for her computer she never heard of, Ubuntu.
    That's an operating system for your computer similar to Windows that contains Linux. It's highly regarded among some people and extremely popular with certain circles of computer users because it's free.
    Schubert says she ordered her laptop online at Dell.com expecting to buy your classic bread-and-butter computer.
    She didn't realize until the next morning her laptop defaulted to the Ubuntu operating system.
    "It's been a mess," she said. "I regret ordering the computer."

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9667184

Comment

Dell sickens me, fuckin ****s.

Comment

I do feel bad for her

Ubuntu has a pretty steep learning curve if you're a casual pc user (internet, gaming, word processing). The OS should be classified as a WIP. No way is that thing done. It's absolutely murder if you have no access to the internet and you NEED to install additional programs (Try modding it on the PS3 for full emulation capabilities if you don't believe me).

Comment

Most of the people here have not heard of Ubuntu, BSD or *Nix operational systems.

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynBomber View Post
            Most of the people here have not heard of Ubuntu, BSD or *Nix operational systems.
            I run Ubuntu, its awesome. Haven't touched windows in ages.

Comment

What the ****? How did that **** make the news...who gives a ****?
              You're a stupid **** for posting this.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                I run Ubuntu, its awesome. Haven't touched windows in ages.
                ^ It's more often not awesome for the casual user just starting though. The CLI focus and the permissions system is intimidating and confusing to noobs. It can take months to learn/commit to memory if computers aren't your thing, and that's a lot to ask when the dominating big-brother OS does anything you want it to in minutes and 99.9% of it is point and click. Damn Ubuntu should be advertised with a warning label instead of cheering people on to try it recklessly. Let's not even mention the risk of conflicts and packages not working on upgrades either. I used to be tempted, but I don't recommend it to anyone one I know who doesn't have any nerd in them.
                Last edited by Haglerwins; 01-15-2009, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Stupid ****ing yanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Haglerwins View Post
                    ^ It's more often not awesome for the casual user just starting though. The CLI focus and the permissions system is intimidating and confusing to noobs. It can take months to learn/commit to memory if computers aren't your thing, and that's a lot to ask when the dominating big-brother OS does anything you want it to in minutes and 99.9% of it is point and click. Damn Ubuntu should be advertised with a warning label instead of cheering people on to try it recklessly. Let's not even mention the risk of conflicts and packages not working on upgrades either. I used to be tempted, but I don't recommend it to anyone one I know who doesn't have any nerd in them.
                    You obviously don't use Ubuntu. Your characterization is completely inaccurate. It is possible to do anything you need without even touching the CLI. Packages are never conflicting. Things always work. No viruses, no freezing, no slowdowns, no spyware.

The learning curve is no different than switching from PC to mac.

You sir are a douche bag for bashing something you don't use and probably have never even tried. I use to be a die hard windows guy until I tried Ubuntu and realized it not only has fewer problems, but the problems are less severe, easier to fix, and never result in data loss.

The difference between Ubuntu and Windows is quite simple. Ubuntu just works. No stupid errors, no worrying about viruses, no incompatible drivers. You don't even have to install drivers, all that is done automatically. Unlike windows...

I can plug into any printer and just use it. No searching for drivers or any of that bull****. I can plug into any camera, any scanner, and anything and it just works, no questions asked.

It took us over an hour to get our expensive hp printer working on vista, it required downloading 200mb in drivers, then futzing with them and all that good stuff.

I just plugged it into my ubuntu laptop and it just worked. All the functions worked. The scanner worked. I could send digital faxes. No setup required. No searching for drivers. No downloading anything. It just worked.

Ubuntu is infinitely superior to windows. Its really hard to describe how much better it is than windows. Some times I forget that computers even have problems because I have NONE.

Comment

Working...
                    X