Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder-Fury Rematch Could Land on April 27 or May, Says Warren

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kafkod View Post
    To me, cleaning out a division means winning all the belts - unless one of the other champions refuses to fight you - and beating all the "name" contenders.

Usyk and Crawford cleaned out divisions, but not Ward, and AJ still has a lot to do in order to clean out HW.
    Nobody will clean out HW. It doesn't happen. You can clean out a lower division because you beat everyone then move up. In Heavyweight you beat everyone and then you stay there until someone knocks you off the throne.

Comment

• Originally posted by Batfink View Post
      There is far to much focus in this forum on the subject of clearing out a division by collecting the ABCs. This is a fable and worthless example to determine the best. There is a long history of paper champions who hold onto belts and claiming their belt by beating them is by no means an achievement unless of course it makes you a 2x champion or 3x champion which is why when a champion looses he will look for a weak champion to achieve that multiple champion status. It’s all a game.

The cruserweight division is a nonsense weight category there’s better fights in light heavyweight and heavyweight so what if Usyk claimed all the belts it’s just for the record nothing more.

I’m not sure you can question Andre Ward he was a tremendous fight and put the big names in their place.

This forum is rightly about AJ and for him he has a lot of work to do. I think all that time he spent with Klitschko he thought he could mimick his career and be a 10 year champion while ploughing in huge paychecks. That is not going to happen right now and thank the boxing Gods for that. In my view there are 3 champions out there Fury Wilder and Joshua and any one can be number one. They all have to fight to earn the right to be called best in this post Klitschko era and it’s going to take some time to come to fruition.

The numbers in USA are so big they can’t be ignored Joshua has to go there and shine to the public but in my view I think he has already lost that popularity contest to Fury.

Don’t get confused with the moniker of champion and the best those are not the same thing particularly in boxing.
      Ward beat 2 of the top men at 168 - one in a very controversial manner -and ducked the other 2.

Usyk beat everybody, in their own backyards, without favours, fouls or controversy.

Usyk >> Ward and it isn't even close.
      Last edited by kafkod; 01-22-2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
        Nobody will clean out HW. It doesn't happen. You can clean out a lower division because you beat everyone then move up. In Heavyweight you beat everyone and then you stay there until someone knocks you off the throne.
        That's what I was talking about in my other post by saying that cleaning out a division is a never ending task. You can't move up after cleaning out HW. You can either retire or carry on fighting to keep it clean until someone better comes along.

Comment

That's what I was talking about in my other post by saying that cleaning out a division is a never ending task. You can't move up after cleaning out HW. You can either retire or carry on fighting to keep it clean until someone better comes along.
          exactly. Eventually you'll be dethroned. Any other weight division you can "clean it out" and then move up a division to avoid someone and everyone will cum in their pants saying that you're challenging yourself. Meanwhile someone can become undisputed HW champ and rule the division until their 40, retire undefeated and they'd be criticized for retiring on top.

Comment

• Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
            exactly. Eventually you'll be dethroned. Any other weight division you can "clean it out" and then move up a division to avoid someone and everyone will cum in their pants saying that you're challenging yourself. Meanwhile someone can become undisputed HW champ and rule the division until their 40, retire undefeated and they'd be criticized for retiring on top.
            Makes me think that I have a shot at a professional boxing career after all

Comment

• Boxing is not a computer game.

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
              Ward beat 2 of the top men at 168, and ducked the other 2. He then beat one of the top men at 175 twice, both times in highly controversial and dubious ways.

Usyk beat everybody, in their own backyards, without favours, fouls or controversy.

Usyk >> Ward and it isn't even close.
              I’m not sure that it’s a worthwhile discussion it’s like clutching at straws. Usyk is in a division of nobodies let’s see him even try and beat a decent heavyweight. When you move weights in the lower divisions you can be giving away a huge advantage in weight and although on the weighin it’s close on fight night it can be up to 20lbs or more.

Im not a massive Ward fan I’m a boxing fan and I think ward deserves a little more credit than you are giving as sometimes there’s fights in your division that simply aren’t worth taking. They make no financial sense or career sense or even you may not have the appetite to fight someone because it doesn’t fulfil your own ambition. There may well be an element of ducking but you have to remember a boxer has a limited career span at the top and once they have reached the pinicle they don’t have too many fights left in the tank. Some fights take out more than others. The welterweight division is the one where it’s lit for all the ABCs to fight each other that’s not a common occurrence. Lucian Bute was a paper champion for years was it worth fighting him in a unification bout or undisputed status or would you consider moving up or down in weight to fight another boxer that’s more interesting for your career and gives you multi weight champion status? Those are the real questions facing elite boxers not whether they should hold all belts in a division.

I think when your talking Andre Ward you have to consider why he retired...he was bored and had no appetite and further planned to bulk up possibly to take a shot at heavyweight. By the looks of things in the heavyweight division and size of the guys in there he can forget about that unless he can come back looking like a peak Mike Tyson.

When judging a boxing career it’s important not be one dimensional, you must follow the fighters journey in life and in the ring.

There’s not many great boxers out there in any era but many boxers can participate in great fights. Considering the limited lifetime of a boxer it’s important to choose your opponents carefully to build whatever legacy is important.

Comment

• Originally posted by Batfink View Post
                I’m not sure that it’s a worthwhile discussion it’s like clutching at straws. Usyk is in a division of nobodies let’s see him even try and beat a decent heavyweight. When you move weights in the lower divisions you can be giving away a huge advantage in weight and although on the weighin it’s close on fight night it can be up to 20lbs or more.

Im not a massive Ward fan I’m a boxing fan and I think ward deserves a little more credit than you are giving as sometimes there’s fights in your division that simply aren’t worth taking. They make no financial sense or career sense or even you may not have the appetite to fight someone because it doesn’t fulfil your own ambition. There may well be an element of ducking but you have to remember a boxer has a limited career span at the top and once they have reached the pinicle they don’t have too many fights left in the tank. Some fights take out more than others. The welterweight division is the one where it’s lit for all the ABCs to fight each other that’s not a common occurrence. Lucian Bute was a paper champion for years was it worth fighting him in a unification bout or undisputed status or would you consider moving up or down in weight to fight another boxer that’s more interesting for your career and gives you multi weight champion status? Those are the real questions facing elite boxers not whether they should hold all belts in a division.

I think when your talking Andre Ward you have to consider why he retired...he was bored and had no appetite and further planned to bulk up possibly to take a shot at heavyweight. By the looks of things in the heavyweight division and size of the guys in there he can forget about that unless he can come back looking like a peak Mike Tyson.

When judging a boxing career it’s important not be one dimensional, you must follow the fighters journey in life and in the ring.

There’s not many great boxers out there in any era but many boxers can participate in great fights. Considering the limited lifetime of a boxer it’s important to choose your opponents carefully to build whatever legacy is important.
                Ward retired because he knew he wouldn't be able to pull the same tricks with any of the other top LH's that he used to steal Kovelev's titles.

Good riddance to the dishonourable cheating fukker.

Comment

Ward retired because he knew he wouldn't be able to pull the same tricks with any of the other top LH's that he used to steal Kovelev's titles.

Good riddance to the dishonourable cheating fukker.
                  That’s a little harsh is it not. Boxing is not a highly honourable sport it’s for the punters to bet and plenty of interested parties participate in the spectacle. It’s like dog racing or horse racing. I wouldn’t get overly upset by a boxers choices there’s plenty of divisions with some great fights. I think that some of my biggest gripes aren’t with so called boxers ducking but the actual judging and refereeing leaves a lot to be desired. Although Ward Kovalev II I think ward had his number.

Usyk like all cruserweights before him has to prove himself at heavyweight maybe win a title like David Haye. However in this division right now I think he may struggle with the size of these guys, they may have to set him up with Chisora/Takam before moving on any further than that ...

Comment

• They shouldn't put it that close to the Canelo fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
                      They shouldn't put it that close to the Canelo fight.
                      Late May is fine. But putting it late April makes no sense, especially if you are putting that fight at the T-Mobile arena. Again, no clue why Warren even mentioned that date. Unless he is talking early to mid April which is only do able if Joshua elects to fight in June instead. Still, just don't see that happening.

May 25 or June 1 work the best IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X