No announcement yet.

Which gloves should I use

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which gloves should I use

I have a pair of 16oz which I use for sparring, hitting the bags and pads. Should I use a different oz for hitting the pads ?

Originally posted by welsh_rarebit View Post
    I have a pair of 16oz which I use for sparring, hitting the bags and pads. Should I use a different oz for hitting the pads ?
    I use 16oz Cleto Reyes for everything - works well for me!

Comment

The first pair I ever bought was Title. Then I got Cleto Reyes after that and it's crazy how much better the Reyes ones feel.

Comment

16 is always for sparring. I once had 14 oz for hitting the bag. I actually liked them a lot. But my mindset has always been when you’re working real hard with 16 ozs, in a fight those 12 oz feel like gardening gloves.

Comment

I'll just stick with the 16oz ones I have then. I bought a cheap pair of rdx ones which seem to be going good so far

Comment

I'll just stick with the 16oz ones I have then. I bought a cheap pair of rdx ones which seem to be going good so far
            Like they say, if it works don't try to fix it.

Comment

Ideal to have a pair strictly for sparring and another pair for bags and mitts.

Comment

You should always train with 16 oz gloves, I train with velcro 16 oz for everything but sparring, I spar with laced 16 oz gloves

Comment

Originally posted by scbb View Post

You should always train with 16 oz gloves, I train with velcro 16 oz for everything but sparring, I spar with laced 16 oz gloves
                  Just out of curiosity: Why the velcro for training and the laces for sparring? Is it because the velcro can scrape your opponent during sparring? My coach - who I often spar - has complained about that a few times.
                  Last edited by Le_Grand; 03-13-2019, 07:56 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Comment

i saw an interview with this successful coach who said that he would get his fighters to train with the weight of glove that they would be fighting with, even in sparring. his rationale was that it messes up a fighter's timing to be training with a different weight glove, and that at a certain level one should be able to control the intensity of punches in sparring, without having to rely on the equipment. he was a very old-school coach, from the 60s, 70s, i believe. i think there is something to it, and i have seen boxers who train with 12oz for everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X