Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Ward vs GGG/KOVA - Double Standards?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doug Fischer's response to Golovkin's 164 offer:

So, to me – and this is just my opinion, I haven’t spoken to Loeffler or anyone else from GGG’s team about this silliness – the 164-pound catchweight offer was just a stab at Ward. They were giving him s__t in a very public way. They know Ward has a big ego and views himself as the “A-side” (I also hate this term) in a potential matchup with GGG. The catchweight offer was their way of saying, “No, Dre you are not the star in this matchup. GGG is. He will dictate the terms to you.” I just saw it as a big “F__k you” to Team Ward in response to some of Ward’s recent pissy interviews about GGG and Loeffler.

I got a kick out of the reaction within the Twitterverse. Why anyone would take what Loeffler said seriously given that Ward just came back from a near-two-year hiatus and fought an unranked fighter at light heavyweight is beyond my understanding. When Ward deems himself ready to face a legit ranked contender at super middleweight THEN I think we can take talk of a Ward-GGG showdown seriously.

Regardless, the GGG hate has definitely turned up a notch. Maybe you’re among the haters now. LOL. That’s all good. His fan base is big enough to take ya’ll on, and for the time being, it’s still growing.
    http://ri ngtv.craveonline.com/news/394209-dougies-monday-mailbag-236#.VaNw9R2O2kk.twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
      You are ignoring an important fact. GGG said that fighting Froch or Chavez Jr. at 168 was a matter of respect. In his recent Russian interview Golovkin made it quite clear that he has little respect if any for Ward and this may be a way of making that point.

Comment

Originally posted by theBEASTwithin View Post
        So, GGG has been getting a lot of flak around here ever since his promoter said they are willing to meet Ward in the middle at 164 + give him a 50% split to make this fight happen. I, personally, would prefer the bout take place at 168 (if/when GGG moves up naturally)- just to leave no doubt, but that could take too long and for now, meeting in the middle shouldn't be out of the question since they both have fought at their own weight divisions for pretty much their entire pro careers and it is pretty close to their natural weights. Isn't this why catchweights exist? Think about the CW for Cotto-Geale for a minute, and compare.

Now, Ward "fans" are saying GGG should just move up right now and even go as far as calling him a coward for not doing so. Shouldn't the same logic apply to Ward moving up to 175? Even more so? ..since he struggles to even make 168 now? I know he's been out the game for a while so I'm willing to cut him some slack but the guy himself has said many times that he plans on moving up to 175, his last fight technically was at LHW (over 168 limit) and he has already "cleaned out" 168 as his fans love to keep repeating..

..and there is the difference. One guy has already cleaned out his division and pretty much has nothing left to prove at that weight and much to gain by moving up, while the other still has unfinished business and at least 2 potential big money fights left at his weight and less to gain by moving up.. and GGG should be the one to move up? to leave that all behind for a fight with Ward? On Ward's terms? Really?

I know that GGG was willing to go up to 168 for Froch & JCC jr but those are big money fights and Ward simply is NOT. Ward wouldn't bring anywhere near the amount of $ those names bring to the table and would no doubt demand more than he deserves (which GGG is willing to give him btw, at 164). Ward should be bending over backwards to make these fights happen, but instead insists on being a Diva as usual and wonders why GGG/Kova are more respected and popular than he is.

Thoughts? (fIomos need not respond, we already know the hate you're going to spew)
        You make some good points about the financial incentive to fight at a catchweight. Also, lets face it, Ward is a harder fight and GGG people may feel like any compromise is a disadvantage. Dawson paid a price for not being at his best against Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
          Who's ward calling out at 175? What don't you guys get? Gg is trying so hard to fight froch and jcc at *gasp* 168 but said ward 164. Did ward say he'll fight pascal or Hopkins at 175 but Kov at 171?
          "If it makes dollars, it makes sense" - Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr

Comment

ward has a better overall resume than ggg no one can deny that but just look at the last 3+ years of each guys career and what type of fighter they are right now.

in the last 3 years...

ggg has fought 6 top 10 fighters and 3 top 5 fighters.

ward has fought 1 top 10 fighter and a drained dawson if you want to count that.

now lets talk about who they tried to fight...

ggg has tried to fight cotto(champ), martinez(champ), sturm(champ), quillin(champ), lee(champ), pirog(champ), soliman(champ), ndam, froch, chavez jr, etc...

ward has tried to fight dmitri sartison, caleb truax, and tomas oosthizen while rejecting fights with bute, stevenson, and froch II

its obvious one guy wants to fight the best in his division and is up for challenges while the other guy is happy with his 2 million guarantee and doesn't want any challenges. ward was kicked off hbo because he didn't want to fight anyone good.
            Last edited by daggum; 07-13-2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              ward has a better overall resume than ggg no one can deny that but just look at the last 3+ years of each guys career and what type of fighter they are right now.

in the last 3 years...

ggg has fought 6 top 10 fighters and 3 top 5 fighters.

ward has fought 1 top 10 fighter and a drained dawson if you want to count that.

now lets talk about who they tried to fight...

ggg has tried to fight cotto(champ), martinez(champ), sturm(champ), quillin(champ), lee(champ), pirog(champ), soliman(champ), ndam, froch, chavez jr, etc...

ward has tried to fight dmitri sartison, caleb truax, and tomas oosthizen while rejecting fights with bute, stevenson, and froch II

its obvious one guy wants to fight the best in his division and is up for challenges while the other guy is happy with his 2 million guarantee and doesn't want any challenges. ward was kicked off hbo because he didn't want to fight anyone good.
              When they were both active, Lampley used his on air time to downplay this fight, saying this isn't the fight fans want.

HBO doesn't want GGG to fight Ward IMO because they are worried a loss, especially one where he gets KO'd or outclassed, will hurt GGG's ability to sell a PPV.

HBO wants GGG to beat Canelo or Cotto or both on PPV before they ok him to fight Ward.

Comment

Working...
              X