Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: If I Had Wilder - He'd Be a Star, Joshua Would Beg

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
    Oscar was too busy drinking and drugging while Richard Schaefer made him into a champion.

Can someone please name one star that Golden Boy has besides Canelo, who is only popular because he's Mexican and by the way also became popular under Richard Schaefer?
    this^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Deus View Post
      I
      In truth... Kell Brook was able to fill up a small stadium in his hometown (but would have no hope anywhere else) and Joshua fills a stadium anywhere. Outside of those 2 fighters there haven't been any stadium fights in the UK to fill because promoters know that there isn't enough demand to fill entire stadiums. Even Haye v Bellew 2 which will be a big fight is only being hosted at the 02 Arena (20,000 capacity) rather than a full stadium.

Boxing has grown in the UK massively since Joshua burst onto the scene but it is still some way behind the likes Football, Rugby, Tennis, Cricket and probably F1.
      I would add that stadium fights aren’t really a great gauge, since they are a pain in the ass for promoters to deal with, everything from security/policing, catering, logistics of staging, traffic management etc, it’s expensive and a lot of hassle especially as you can only use them half the year and have to book them far in advance.

An events centre is more manageable, 20,000 is a decent gate and if you get 20k at the gate you probably have good fight that will do strong PPV numbers.

Now, how many UK boxers could draw this interest? well Bellew, AJ, Brook, Khan (yes believe it or not still has a big UK fan base), Saunders would be getting close, stuggling to think of many others.

I think the sweet spot though is 5k - 10k gates, now here you’d have quite a few boxers, Whyte might even get his for a title fight headliner, the Smith boys would be in the vicinity, probably a pretty long list if I spent a while on it.

I agree that recent resurgence in interest in GB boxing is AJ, but its been fairly steadily repped in GB for a while now, Lewis, Hatton, Calzaghe, Haye and Khan kept people interested, AJ has just next levelled that. Audrey Harrison almost single handidly wrecked boxing for the casual in GB. Funnily enough Froch never really got a fan base, it’s why he’s always green with envy whenever there is mention of the other guys.

Comment

Hate to say this but I got to agree with Oscar here...Wilder would be way bigger I mean he’s an American heavyweight champion of the world he should be huge,, a lot of people in the U.S seem to turn on him (correct me if I’m wrong I’m from the U.K)

Who promotes these guys seriously? It’s the same thing with Errol Spence he could become a huge huge PPV star, yet he’s fought once this year? It’s almost criminal in my eyes.

There’s so many talented fighters with Al Haymon that get fights but are lucky (very lucky) to get 2 fights in a year and if we’re being honest it’s usually just the once, it’s the same thing with Degale he’s been with Haymon for a while now and he’s had like 3 fights in 3 years...what’s going on lol?

Comment

Originally posted by ELHITMAN606 View Post
          Richard Shaefer promoted Wilder not Oscar
          Lol at least you realize that

Comment

[QUOTE=kushking;18201188]
            Originally posted by Fabes88 View Post

I knew someone would nitpick my statement to the extreme right now boxing in the U.K is huge $$ overall & anytime you have fighters with a name or with a major belt defending in a glamour division you'll have the potential to fill a stadium,I never said what stadiums,they can range from 15000 all the way up,so stop trying to twist my words.

Im saying that British boxing is the 2nd sport getting hype lately to football in the USA,as in out of sports that are watched over here boxing is in 2nd place of all British sports so out of sports that are international sports in England boxing is basically 2nd place. Those other sports are sports most the world can care less about. . I read the daily mail sports all the time as well as sky mirror sun etc.etc.
            If you read the sun and the mirror you'll know how little coverage boxing gets in comparison to most other sports in the U.K.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame
              Fraudley helped the sport overall. He petitioned Downing street to increase Team GBs budget re. Boxing & grassroots Boxing.
              That’s something at least. As a pro I remember soo many mates that were casual fans telling me ‘see that’s why we don’t watch boxing’ he really messed up with the whole ‘A-Force’ thing and the TV coverage for his first fights against taxi drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by sportbuddha View Post
                Yeah whatever, you must be one of Hoya’s 28 kids, you so keen to stick up for him.

who’s Golden Boy got besides Canelo? .... Lianares and Lemieux? Cotto ? None of these guys has much time left. Hard to see where the next big names are coming from and this is one of the biggest brands in boxing promotion? He’s probably a great guy, but why aren’t they signing for him, word gets around in the world of boxing that’s why.

I’m not saying TMT are killing it with quality, but they have a comparable stable given how long they have been around and the size of the team behind them. GB has more boxers but for all their cash and branding they are failing.
                I just keep it real. I don't see how TMT has a better stable of fighters at all. The only two well known Fighters it has is Jack and Davis.
                Golden Boy promotions has a number of fighters who keep fighting on HBO repeatedly so that should tell you something.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                  Sure, Top Rank - Pacquiao.
                  Lol, C'mon man you don't really believe that. Manny Pacquiao is done! And if he does come back you think he'll be the fighter he once was or sell huge ppv numbers??
                  He was a star but unfortunately father time has caught up with him and he's not even a top 5 welterweight anymore. If he does come back he'll be fighting the Jeff Horn's of the world cause he can't compete at a high level anymore.

Comment

You missed Foch .. him and Groves filled Wembley.

PS del La Hoya maybe you could have done better (he is criminally under promoted) but ..

""I promoted Deontay Wilder during his first 33 fights and I made him a champion."

.. you say that likes its a positive look at Aj's record, I'd have kept quiet about the whole 33 fights bit.

Originally posted by sportbuddha View Post
                    I would add that stadium fights aren’t really a great gauge, since they are a pain in the ass for promoters to deal with, everything from security/policing, catering, logistics of staging, traffic management etc, it’s expensive and a lot of hassle especially as you can only use them half the year and have to book them far in advance.

An events centre is more manageable, 20,000 is a decent gate and if you get 20k at the gate you probably have good fight that will do strong PPV numbers.

Now, how many UK boxers could draw this interest? well Bellew, AJ, Brook, Khan (yes believe it or not still has a big UK fan base), Saunders would be getting close, stuggling to think of many others.

I think the sweet spot though is 5k - 10k gates, now here you’d have quite a few boxers, Whyte might even get his for a title fight headliner, the Smith boys would be in the vicinity, probably a pretty long list if I spent a while on it.

I agree that recent resurgence in interest in GB boxing is AJ, but its been fairly steadily repped in GB for a while now, Lewis, Hatton, Calzaghe, Haye and Khan kept people interested, AJ has just next levelled that. Audrey Harrison almost single handidly wrecked boxing for the casual in GB. Funnily enough Froch never really got a fan base, it’s why he’s always green with envy whenever there is mention of the other guys.

Comment

Originally posted by DougalDylan View Post
                      You missed Foch .. him and Groves filled Wembley.

PS del La Hoya maybe you could have done better (he is criminally under promoted) but ..

""I promoted Deontay Wilder during his first 33 fights and I made him a champion."

.. you say that likes its a positive look at Aj's record, I'd have kept quiet about the whole 33 fights bit.
                      I did miss Froch because he is retired and he never really had a great fan base, but yeah Groves would be another to pull a good gate, especially against Eubank Jnr or Callum Smith.

Comment

Working...
                      X