No announcement yet.

Should Sparring Be Regulated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Sparring Be Regulated?

I hear it is more regulated in the UK and NY but should sparring be regulated in more areas and result in fines, suspension and even result in gyms being shut down that violate whatever rules were came up with?

Obviously it wouldn't be easy to police this, but it seems like you could stop some of the extreme sparring situations that go on among licensed boxing people and potentially insure guys go into fights in healthier shape as some of the recent deaths and severe injuries have been rumored or speculated to be connected to sparring habits leading into their fight.
    Yes
    8.33%
    No
    91.67%

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    I hear it is more regulated in the UK and NY but should sparring be regulated in more areas and result in fines, suspension and even result in gyms being shut down that violate whatever rules were came up with?

Obviously it wouldn't be easy to police this, but it seems like you could stop some of the extreme sparring situations that go on among licensed boxing people and potentially insure guys go into fights in healthier shape as some of the recent deaths and severe injuries have been rumored or speculated to be connected to sparring habits leading into their fight.
    No, its simply too hard to regulate, unfair for boxers because everyone learns at a different pace, and its unfair to other boxers who want/need to get sparring in and be denied opportunity because then it'd be over their allotment. If the goal is to prevent severe injuries that are connected to sparring you're probably better off scheduling a mandatory doctor visit a week before a televised card.

Comment

How is it not? Whenever I’m at the gym and a dude is getting worked they usually stop the session, never seen anyone get up from 3 knockdowns in a sparring session and keep going type ish.

Comment

Does sound like it would be a nightmare to police. I mean what is sparring, moving around, bodywork only, technical sparring, when does light become full. Is it for pros & ams, when does someone become an amateur covered by it.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
          How is it not? Whenever I’m at the gym and a dude is getting worked they usually stop the session, never seen anyone get up from 3 knockdowns in a sparring session and keep going type ish.
          OP's never been in a boxing gym in his life.

Comment

Naw just leave it up to peoples discretion. I doubt people are dumb enough to get in gym wars these days. But if they are it's their career they're shortening.

Comment

The overall sport needs to be regulated. Former Senator McCain and a couple other congressmen tried pushing through a bill but it never saw the floor of either house.

Comment

If someone has a biscuit chin dont let them spar.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
                  How is it not?
                  For an easy example they are doing 8+ minute rounds and wacky sh^t like that at Floyd's gym.

And I'm not saying no one is being mindful or just using common sense with sparring limits. I specifically mentioned the UK and NY have rules on the books and I'm sure plenty of gyms got limitations that are unofficial. I think plenty of gyms don't doe and I think with the seriousness and ability to suffer lifelong damage from this game due to sparring.

For another ez example plenty of people think Muhammad Ali's health post-boxing was more the result of his sparring habits than his actual fights.

Comment

Originally posted by andocom View Post
                    Does sound like it would be a nightmare to police. I mean what is sparring, moving around, bodywork only, technical sparring, when does light become full. Is it for pros & ams, when does someone become an amateur covered by it.
                    Good point on legit sparring vs light sparring. That would be an issue and make it even harder to police Id imagine.

Comment

Working...
                    X