No announcement yet.

GGG vs Sergio Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daggum View Post
    Martinez wasn’t slick. His defense was quite bad. His movement was good and when that went it was over. He wasn’t a slip defender like canelo. He just moved out of range but when ggg got on him which he would he doesn’t have the ability to defend himself enough
    He was still slick for a guy his age.
    And he was a lefty.
    And he had a great chin.
    And he didn't have to ko a guy to win convincingly.

If GGG doesn't get a guy out of there, he must be fighting a legit guy and is in for a tough night.

Comment

Originally posted by hmc87 View Post
      Sergio

GGG has never decisively beaten a single top Middleweight. And it's his own fault for passing on marquee fights against Charlo, BJS, Andrade, Ward, Lara, Canelo/Cotto/Brook at catchweights.

The four times he fought a top 5 MW he arguably lost every fight (Canelo 1 and 2, Jacobs, and Dervenchenko).

Sergio was better in big fights (JCC, PWill, Pavlik, etc) and had more variety to his game
      Ggg vs Charlo is a marquee fight hmm what has charlo done at mw

He also arguably won all 4 fights. You think Chavez was on the Jacobs canelo level. And Williams never beat anyone at 160 cept Martinez and that was a robbery. Weird all over the place standards

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
        He was still slick for a guy his age.
        And he was a lefty.
        And he had a great chin.
        And he didn't have to ko a guy to win convincingly.

If GGG doesn't get a guy out of there, he must be fighting a legit guy and is in for a tough night.
        But he wasn’t. He was fighting Chavez and Williams. Please. Those guys walk into punches which is what ggg does cept he knows how to apply effective pressure in the process like marg who destroyed him. Do you think Martinez beats guys like canelo or Jacobs convincingly cause I dont. The guys Martinez fought were all slow plodders to look good against. He didn’t want a guy like pirog. Ducked him hard. At least ggg signed to fight pirog

Comment

Martinez was slick and calculated. I rated him highly in terms of boxing skill. UD Martinez but it would be tough

Comment

But he wasn’t. He was fighting Chavez and Williams. Please. Those guys walk into punches which is what ggg does cept he knows how to apply effective pressure in the process like marg who destroyed him. Do you think Martinez beats guys like canelo or Jacobs convincingly cause I dont. The guys Martinez fought were all slow plodders to look good against. He didn’t want a guy like pirog. Ducked him hard. At least ggg signed to fight pirog
            Yeah, GGG is a speedster who always boxes circles around top tier guys

Put it this way, he would have been too slick for GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by Blu View Post
              GGG vs Sergio Martinez

So how do you guys see this fight turning out now that GGG has finally been tested by a few fighters.

Lets pretend Sergio never tried to cash out or suffered all those injuries: who do you guys have taking it for the middleweight crown?
              ... bare facts:

... back in March 2012 (after the Martinez vs Macklin fight), GGG called out Martinez... (see: )

... then (in Oct 2012) Martinez fought and beat Chavez Jr. (the guy Maravillia was actually after, tbh)... and Martinez got badly injured into the process... and that's what Lou DiBella said after that fight (Sept 2012):

"At 37 years old, he (Martinez) is going to fight the biggest possible fight. Who would give a flying ****, and why are you even asking? Who knows Gennady Golovkin other than you, me and a few other people? How many people would he bring to the table? How much money would he generate? He is the last guy … He is a very good fighter, but it’s a fight that economically makes no sense.”
              “There are a lot of other fighters who have nothing to do. Let him fight (Dmitry) Pirog. Let him fight someone else who needs to make a name in the States. He (Golovkin) fought a stiff (Grzegorz Proksa) in his last fight. I think Golovkin beats Pirog, I think he beats a lot of the other middleweights, but he didn’t beat anyone in his last fight and this is Sergio’s time to make a lot of money. … We’re not going to fight fights that do not generate any income.”

( https://sundaypuncher.com/a-timeline-of-gennady-golovkins-quest-for-a-big-fight-9ac0d387d37c

... Now: do you remember that Lou DiBella from Saturday, tbh???
              Last edited by MDPopescu; 10-07-2019, 05:25 AM.

Comment

GGG's best weapon, his jab
                Lefties are a nightmare for an orthodox guy who jabs.
                Now add in speed, angles and power.

The end

Comment

Sexy Sergio embarasses Triple Gift

Boxing is about levels. Sergio is an A level fighter. Triple Gift is a B level fighter than needs gifts to get past uber drivers with 14 fights

Comment

Martinez wasn’t slick. His defense was quite bad. His movement was good and when that went it was over. He wasn’t a slip defender like canelo. He just moved out of range but when ggg got on him which he would he doesn’t have the ability to defend himself enough
                    Slick Sexy Sergio would destroy B rate Triple Gift

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                      ... bare facts:

... back in March 2012 (after the Martinez vs Macklin fight), GGG called out Martinez... (see: )

... then (in Oct 2012) Martinez fought and beat Chavez Jr. (the guy Maravillia was actually after, tbh)... and Martinez got badly injured into the process... and that's what Lou DiBella said after that fight (Sept 2012):

"At 37 years old, he (Martinez) is going to fight the biggest possible fight. Who would give a flying ****, and why are you even asking? Who knows Gennady Golovkin other than you, me and a few other people? How many people would he bring to the table? How much money would he generate? He is the last guy … He is a very good fighter, but it’s a fight that economically makes no sense.”
                      “There are a lot of other fighters who have nothing to do. Let him fight (Dmitry) Pirog. Let him fight someone else who needs to make a name in the States. He (Golovkin) fought a stiff (Grzegorz Proksa) in his last fight. I think Golovkin beats Pirog, I think he beats a lot of the other middleweights, but he didn’t beat anyone in his last fight and this is Sergio’s time to make a lot of money. … We’re not going to fight fights that do not generate any income.”

( https://sundaypuncher.com/a-timeline-of-gennady-golovkins-quest-for-a-big-fight-9ac0d387d37c

... Now: do you remember that Lou DiBella from Saturday, tbh???
                      ... On Jul 1, 2013:

... DiBella received a call from Martinez on Monday, and he told the promoter he wanted a match with Golovkin when he's able.

"Sergio called me and said, 'I have never ducked anyone in my career and I'm not going to duck anyone now,' " DiBella said.

"[Martinez] is not going to come off a 14-month layoff and fight this animal," DiBella said Saturday night.

Comment

Working...
                      X