Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I training enough to become a great boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saintsFPS View Post
    Yeah I don’t do low reps to often, just every once in a while to test strength, I can get these stats for you if you tell me how to test em, except swimming, I only learnt how to swim like 2 years ago and needless to say I’m terrible at it, but If you tell me how I can test the other two and post em here.
    You'll read a lot on these forums about running being not an incredibly important exercise for boxers. But believe me, if you can get competent at distances from 800m to 10k in addition to your boxing training, you'll find sparring at pace far easier. Sprints and intervals for the short distances. Longer tempo runs for the longer distances as well as the odd long slow jog.

You can push hard hitting the heavy bag, shadow boxing and skipping rope. But improvements in fitness are not easily measurable, except in your own perception.

Cycling is a great exercise too, but I'm less familiar with times in relation to physical competence.

It's a pity that running is so painful for you. My Father has flat feet, but they never bothered him in a running sense when he was young. Perhaps advice from a physio or some well cushioned footwear may help. I've always found Saucony Fast Twitch to have good arch support. Brooks Glycerin are a really soft, supportive trainer that fit like a glove.

Comment

Yeah I would think running would be important, all the greats have used it, so should I mix up between sprints/ intervals, longer tempo runs, maybe switch between the two everyday along with a long slow jog once a week? How much does physio costs, I mean me and my family isn't super poor, but i'm not up to the average pay either. Yeah right now I have some asics which are a mix between running and school shoes, they just aren't doing the job.

Comment

Keep up the good work man and try to get some exhibition fights

Comment

Yeah I would think running would be important, all the greats have used it, so should I mix up between sprints/ intervals, longer tempo runs, maybe switch between the two everyday along with a long slow jog once a week? How much does physio costs, I mean me and my family isn't super poor, but i'm not up to the average pay either. Yeah right now I have some asics which are a mix between running and school shoes, they just aren't doing the job.
          I use it just for stamina, as I only do 4 rounds be able to jog 4 miles 4 times a week is enough for me

Comment

Physio costs can be expensive. Over here in the UK it is free for conditions that have lasted over 2 months. But I'm sure that with you being so young your body would probably adapt to running well. You might just need the right footwear. It's worth watching some You Tube videos on running technique and form. You may be heel striking to a level that is causing discomfort for example.

As for running, mix it up. But you don't want two tough days in succession. Quarter mile or 200m sprints one day, easy slow distance the next. Hill sprints the day after, another day of easy slow distance. For day 5 perhaps an easy mile warm up then 20 mins comfortably hard (quite heavy breathing). Then a rest day for recovery on day 6. But track your times/distances so that you can see improvements.

Comment

Yeah those are fairly common where I train, my coach said I should be ready for my first one soon.

Comment

interesting.

Comment

It's actually funny I've already been to a physio yesterday before you even sent that, they put this strap thing around my foot which is helping, they only put it on one foot, i don't get as much pain in the same spots, actually no where near as much, but I have pain in a new spot it's weird, they also gave me some exercise to do to strengthen up the muscles in my foot, and make them less tight. Okay I will watch those vids, and interesting I didn't know I should do that, thanks.

Comment

It's actually funny I've already been to a physio yesterday before you even sent that, they put this strap thing around my foot which is helping, they only put it on one foot, i don't get as much pain in the same spots, actually no where near as much, but I have pain in a new spot it's weird, they also gave me some exercise to do to strengthen up the muscles in my foot, and make them less tight. Okay I will watch those vids, and interesting I didn't know I should do that, thanks.
                    Have you switched things up after watching those vids?

Comment

I haven’t been able to, I’ve been sick for the past few weeks multiple times and every time I’ve tried to fight through it I’ve vomited, I’m feeling better today but I’m giving it a day to make sure and getting back into the swing of things tomorrow, it’s been incredibly boring not being able to train

Comment

Working...
                      X