No announcement yet.

Head harness to improve forward neck?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head harness to improve forward neck?

Has anyone had any improvements in posture using a head harness neck strengthener?

I have a little bit of a slouch and it seems to be coming mostly from the neck area. My back is pretty strong, but after spending so many years working in front of a computer screen and not working out my neck I've developed the forward neck hunch.

Any other advice is also welcomed.

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
    Has anyone had any improvements in posture using a head harness neck strengthener?

I have a little bit of a slouch and it seems to be coming mostly from the neck area. My back is pretty strong, but after spending so many years working in front of a computer screen and not working out my neck I've developed the forward neck hunch.

Any other advice is also welcomed.
    I have the same problem you have. For the same reason, I work in the computer.

Doing lower back exercises help a lot.

You probably have kyphosis. Look for some videos with exercises for it.

Comment

Actively changing your posture is the only way. I use lower back support (pillow at home, mesh arc in the car) which causes my shoulders to roll back a bit and subsequently make my neck and head align uptight. When your body makes a C shape as you sit, it kills your posture. Straighten out that lower back and the rest will follow.

Wearing a button-up, collared shirt is also a great way to train your head not to slouch forward. Nothing like a tight collar pushing on your Adam's apple to make you sit up straight.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've been working my whole back, set up a stand up desk in my office and have tried to really stretch my traps and neck on a daily basis.

From what I've read the problem with a forward head is an imbalance of the neck in which the back side of your neck is used to holding the head's weight to prevent it from falling down forward. That's why I was curious if a head harness could help me improve the forward part of my neck to help negate that muscular imbalance, but no one really seems to have any experience with this ( I also asked at another boxing forum).

Comment

Working...
        X