Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Jake Lamotta The Best Body Puncher Of All Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Jake Lamotta The Best Body Puncher Of All Time?

???
    ???
    ???
    Yes
    7.14%
    No
    92.86%

The poll is expired.

The 1st thing I think of when Jake LaMotta is mentioned is his chin. Then his constant body punching. That was an integral part of every one of his fights.

When I think of body punching, the 1st name that comes to mind is Mike McCallum.

When I think of the hardest body shots I ever seen, Cooney caving in Ron Lyles ribs comes to mind 1st. It's only a slight exaggeration to say that it looked like Cooney's glove went into Lyle's ribs up to the laces!

The cleanest body shot I ever saw was RJ KO Virgil Hill.

Cooney & Jones were good body shotters (is that a word?) but not as accomplished as LaMotta & McCallum.

I also would throw in Ruben Olivares, Julio C. Chavez & Frazier.

Without digressing any more, my two choices for best ever body puncher is between LaMotta & McCallum. I've seen & read about LaMotta's famed body attack but I've seen more of McCallum's body of work (pun intended).

Can I vote that LaMotta is tied for best body puncher of all time with McCallum?

I'll go ahead & vote "No" on the basis that McCallum had an equally ferocious body attack as the Bull but he has the edge in power. I think he hit harder, punch for punch. And hard punchers always have a special place in my heart.

Comment

Id say no,Terry A mentioned the first 3 names that popped into my head-McCallum,Frazier and Chavez,although Lamotta is certainly up there

Mickey Ward comes too mind also,for a guy that was pretty average in most areas he threw a wicked liver shot

Comment

Carlos Palomino was imo the best body puncher.

Comment

Roy Jones Jr

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            Roy Jones Jr
            How is Jones the best of all time? One great shot does not make a fighter a great body puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              How is Jones the best of all time? One great shot does not make a fighter a great body puncher.
              There is no way he's even a consideration for best body puncher, none. But Virgil Hill body KO aside Roy still has a very good body attack, Hopkins said the hardest shot he ever took was a Jones body shot and in fights like Prince Badi Ajamu and Clinton Woods for example his body punching was the biggest factor
              Last edited by The Surgeon; 06-11-2011, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                There is no way he's even a consideration best body puncher, none. But Virgil Hill body KO aside Roy still has a very good body attack, Hopkins said the hardest shot he ever took was a Jones body shot and in fights like Prince Badi Ajamu and Clinton Woods for example his body punching was the biggest factor

Im not taking anything away from Roy, he could go to the body. But it wasn't his best asset and he rarely used it to soften an opponent up rather relying on his incredible speed and reflexes to get the job done. Great body puncher break a man down by going to the body, and as you said, Jones simply can't be considered among those who did that as their bread and butter.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Im not taking anything away from Roy, he could go to the body. But it wasn't his best asset and he rarely used it to soften an opponent up rather relying on his incredible speed and reflexes to get the job done. Great body puncher break a man down by going to the body, and as you said, Jones simply can't be considered among those who did that as their bread and butter.
                  Yeah it seems we are on the same page here JAB, i just wanted it noted Jones was "good" at going to the body.

Lamotta was great but he wouldnt get my vote as Historys Premier body puncher.

Comment

Maybe not up their with the top tier but, Arguello.

Comment

Working...
                    X