No announcement yet.

Are most boxing gyms scams?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are most boxing gyms scams?

I live in NYC, and have been around the block in terms of attending various boxing gyms that charge people way too much money to train at these gyms. In Manhattan, it seems that 90% of the gyms are more geared toward workout sessions than training serious boxers.

I found a nice small gym next to where I live that is actually focused on boxing, however I've recently been feeling unfulfilled since I'm 27 and most of the people who come in are younger and less experienced in the sport.

Is there any gym out there (particularly in NYC) that is actually geared toward training people who have potential to be professional boxers, and aren't just trying to take your hard-earned cash? Or do you just have to put up with all the BS of going to the gym on a regular basis in order to eventually get noticed by a good trainer who will train you for free?

At this point, I'm already considerably past the beginner stage, and am only really advancing by going to the gym in terms of being able to work on the bags. The sparring situations aren't doing anything for me, since 90% of the people I spar with are doing it for fun and aren't actually focused on becoming skilled boxers.

If anyone knows of a good gym in NYC with a reasonably good rate, my ears are open.

Originally posted by onlyalienever View Post
    I live in NYC, and have been around the block in terms of attending various boxing gyms that charge people way too much money to train at these gyms. In Manhattan, it seems that 90% of the gyms are more geared toward workout sessions than training serious boxers.

I found a nice small gym next to where I live that is actually focused on boxing, however I've recently been feeling unfulfilled since I'm 27 and most of the people who come in are younger and less experienced in the sport.

Is there any gym out there (particularly in NYC) that is actually geared toward training people who have potential to be professional boxers, and aren't just trying to take your hard-earned cash? Or do you just have to put up with all the BS of going to the gym on a regular basis in order to eventually get noticed by a good trainer who will train you for free?

At this point, I'm already considerably past the beginner stage, and am only really advancing by going to the gym in terms of being able to work on the bags. The sparring situations aren't doing anything for me, since 90% of the people I spar with are doing it for fun and aren't actually focused on becoming skilled boxers.

If anyone knows of a good gym in NYC with a reasonably good rate, my ears are open.
    Trainers don’t train for free. If you stay in what I would call “boxercise” that’s where you will remain.
    I’m from Australia so I don’t know the NYC boxing scene.
    But if I was in your shoes, I would ask around and visit amateur boxing tournaments and see where all these gyms are based from.
    Introduce yourself, explain your situation.
    Amateur or professional events locally is where you will find your gyms.
    Also good to look up local fighters, try locate them or twitter them and see where they train out of

Comment

Yes because 80 % of boxing gyms have dudes can’t teach a dog to drink water

Comment

Originally posted by onlyalienever View Post

Always research the gym and the trainer, before you fork over any money.

Comment

https://www.gleasonsgym.com/

Comment

It seems like there are tons of "boxing" gyms where no actual boxing takes place. The "trainers" are more personal trainers than boxing trainers.

Whenever someone tells me they go to a boxing gym or are in a boxing class I assume they are just doing a conditioning workout and hitting a heavy bag with silly form, not actually learning how to box or doing any actual sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
              It seems like there are tons of "boxing" gyms where no actual boxing takes place. The "trainers" are more personal trainers than boxing trainers.

Whenever someone tells me they go to a boxing gym or are in a boxing class I assume they are just doing a conditioning workout and hitting a heavy bag with silly form, not actually learning how to box or doing any actual sparring.
              True dat!! Just a bunch of know nothings with a ton of heavybags……..Rockin'
              Last edited by Rockin'; 07-02-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                True dat!! Just a bunch of know nothings with a ton of heavybags……..Rockin'
                I keep hearing Gleasons is getting that way.

Comment

You Just gotta find the right one, they exist. Start searching in rough neighborhoods thats where youll find authentic boxing gyms.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
                    You Just gotta find the right one, they exist. Start searching in rough neighborhoods thats where youll find authentic boxing gyms.
                    That's what Salita did. Only Jewish guy in the entire gym.

Comment

Working...
                    X