No announcement yet.

Haye v Harrison is more like Bruno v Bugner than Lewis v Bruno

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haye v Harrison is more like Bruno v Bugner than Lewis v Bruno

Forgive me if I do not jump up and down with glee at the prospect of David Haye's fight with Audley Harrison.
    Yes, it will be the biggest all-British world heavyweight clash since Lennox Lewis defended his WBC crown against Frank Bruno at the old Cardiff Arms Park in 1993.
    But for me, a better comparison is Bruno's meeting with Joe Bugner at White Hart Lane six years earlier.
    Then, if you recall, Bruno was badgered into fighting a washed-up Bugner in a farce of a fight.
    Bruno did the business, stopping big-mouthed Bugner in eight, but he got no credit for the win.
    WBA champ Haye is in a similar lose-lose position. Win and he will receive few plaudits because that is what he is expected to do as champ and red-hot favourite. Lose and he will have to go into exile in northern Cyprus.
    I feel sorry for Haye and he has been cajoled into accepting this fight by people who are only interested in making money when he is trying to secure his legacy.
    The two-weight world champ wants to get out of boxing before he turns 31 next October and fighting Harrison will do nothing to cement his legend.
    But money talks and Harrison was just about the only alternative he was left with when his preferred opponents fell by the wayside.
    Harrison, 38, is the undoubted winner without throwing a single punch and this fight gives him the world stage he does not deserve.
    Winning the gimmick that is Prizefighter and beating a shot Michael Sprott to win the vacant European title should not warrant a shot at the WBA title.
    Danny Williams and Matt Skelton, both gutsier fighters than Harrison, earned their world title shots. He hasn't.
    Full credit then to Barry Hearn and his Matchroom company and they have done a brilliant job promoting Harrison when he looked finished.
    Haye-Harrison at Manchester's MEN Arena on November 13 will be a big event, but I'm not sure it will be a great spectacle.
    The ultra-cautious Harrison rarely comes to fight, despite his good technical ability, and Haye could spend the fight trying to prise him out of his shell.
    I don't think boxing does itself any favours with fights like this because it will further erode the sport's credibility at a time when its standing is under threat.
    But then as Oscar Wilde said, the only thing worse than being spoken about is not being spoken about. And there will be plenty said about this fight between now and November 13.
    [/FONT][/I][/CENTER]

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/column...#ixzz0yvyp5Yii

the difference is haye doesnt care what anyone thinks about his legacy!!! he has stated he wants to cash out by his 31st birthday.he has been saying this since i followed his career & thats 13 months away.i see 3 fights left.harrison & a klitschko brother.if he somehow wins a klit fight he'll fight the other.chagaev will be paid handsomely to step aside or will be fighting for a vacant WBA title...no idea what haye does if he loses to haye though...haye ONLY CARES ABOUT MONEY & nothing else...

Comment

If his takers only cared about money, Haye would be fighting Klitschkos right now, or would have already fought.
      No, this fight was picked by haye himself, because he does care about his legacy and specifically not losing to anyone for as long as possible.
      Haye is not a puppett, he knows exactly what he wants.

Comment

Working...
      X