No announcement yet.

Help my correct my boxing stance please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help my correct my boxing stance please

Is this a ideal stance? Let me know any adjustments I need to make. Am I too up straight, should I bend my knees more? Any advice will help. I’ll admit, I’ve only done Muay Thai for 4 years so my stance may not be that great. they teach a washed down, crappy version of boxing, which explains to myself why I’ve been so confused on how to strike with my hands rather than kicking and clinching. I’ve tried implementing boxing into my Muay Thai style, but it never worked. Now, I’m looking to start at a strictly boxing gym when gyms are open. There are rising cases of corona in my area, which shut down most places around here again. I understand a coach will show me a stance when I start, but I’m just coming here to get advice so I can learn now rather than waiting.
    Last edited by Beasting102; 06-23-2020, 12:34 PM.

your stance looks ok, your front hand should be a bit further forward i think, for a more traditional "boxer's" stance. can't see your chin really, but your chin should be down, if you have a tennis ball try holding it under your chin. also looks a little flat footed, a lot of people say your back heel should always be off the floor, but at least be on the balls of your feet

Comment

Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post

your stance looks ok, your front hand should be a bit further forward i think, for a more traditional "boxer's" stance. can't see your chin really, but your chin should be down, if you have a tennis ball try holding it under your chin. also looks a little flat footed, a lot of people say your back heel should always be off the floor, but at least be on the balls of your feet
      Okay, thank you. That video also helped a lot. Just a quick question: in my picture, does it look my knees are bent enough? Or should I bend down more

Comment

Originally posted by Beasting102 View Post
        Okay, thank you. That video also helped a lot. Just a quick question: in my picture, does it look my knees are bent enough? Or should I bend down more
        yeah could probably bend a bit more, not to BLM levels, but just a bit ;P

You don't want to be crouching. just slightly bent at the knees is good. To be fair i think Fran Sands is exaggerating a bit with the knees. you want the knees bent so that you are ready to push from either leg.

if you practise stepping front and back, you will find a sweet spot for you, for how bent your knees should be, with economy of motion. To go forwards = push from the back foot, slide the front foot forward a few inches first, and bring the back foot with you, keeping your stance. To go backwards is the reverse. If your legs are too straight, you won't be able to move fast, if your legs are too bent, you give up height. Yeah I'd say practise moving around in your stance and that should give a good indication of how bent your knees should be

Comment

yeah could probably bend a bit more, not to BLM levels, but just a bit ;P

You don't want to be crouching. just slightly bent at the knees is good. To be fair i think Fran Sands is exaggerating a bit with the knees. you want the knees bent so that you are ready to push from either leg.

if you practise stepping front and back, you will find a sweet spot for you, for how bent your knees should be, with economy of motion. To go forwards = push from the back foot, slide the front foot forward a few inches first, and bring the back foot with you, keeping your stance. To go backwards is the reverse. If your legs are too straight, you won't be able to move fast, if your legs are too bent, you give up height. Yeah I'd say practise moving around in your stance and that should give a good indication of how bent your knees should be
          Alright, I see. Thanks for helping me, I will practice moving in my stance today. I also find that getting on the Balls of my feet makes my knees naturally bend more. Does this look like enough knee bend?
          Last edited by Beasting102; 06-23-2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beasting102 View Post
            Alright, I see. Thanks for helping me, I will practice moving in my stance today. I also find that getting on the Balls of my feet makes my knees naturally bend more. Does this look like enough knee bend? https://imageshack.com/i/pmgBIhsNj
            yeah a bit more knee bend i reckon

btw, just the back foot with lifted heel

Comment

yeah a bit more knee bend i reckon

btw, just the back foot with lifted heel

Agree with this....

Comment

Working...
              X