Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wherre on long island ??? those "kickboxing" places are a joke

some of the REAL gyms on long island are as follows

Veterans memorial boxing club Shirley ny
    Westbury boxing club -Westbury ny (my gym)
    freeport pal boxing club
    hempstead boxing club
    glen cove boxing club

ALL FREE

take your pick

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
      wherre on long island ??? those "kickboxing" places are a joke

some of the REAL gyms on long island are as follows

Veterans memorial boxing club Shirley ny
      Westbury boxing club -Westbury ny (my gym)
      freeport pal boxing club
      hempstead boxing club
      glen cove boxing club

ALL FREE

take your pick

Thanks for the list bro....I'll be seeing you soon Cuz I'm heading to westbury once I'm done with this place...which is bellemore btw....how u like westbury? I just started training so I don't know **** but I'm interested in eventually getting a amature fight

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        exactly..... they would rather make money than a Golden Gloves champion........
        Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Leftover40oz View Post
          Thanks for the list bro....I'll be seeing you soon Cuz I'm heading to westbury once I'm done with this place...which is bellemore btw....how u like westbury? I just started training so I don't know **** but I'm interested in eventually getting a amature fight
          sorry im not on here often ...but i am always down at westbury ...been going on and off for 10 years ...let me know what you think and if you need any help let me know

Comment

mma gyms are the wrong place to go to learn boxing just as a boxing gym wouldn't help with mma fights. The punch delivery idiology is completely different and in mma theres no defense off punching because of counter kicks that could be returned. You might slip or roll into a foot or knee!
            Find a gym that has produced amateur champs at the Golden Glove, P.A.L.
            and USA boxing organizations competitions. State Regional and National experienced trainers is what you need, not local "boxing fitness" centers.
            Ray

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
              sorry im not on here often ...but i am always down at westbury ...been going on and off for 10 years ...let me know what you think and if you need any help let me know
              All good man....I went down there last week and checked it out...really my first time going to a real boxing gym without the purpose of taking a class so I'm not gonna lie, I was a little nervous and lost....just did 2 rounds of jump rope, 2 rounds shadow box, and 6 rounds on the heavy bag...pull ups and shoulder press and then left....next time I go I gotta have workouts planned out I guess Cuz I was walkin around like a tourist haha.

Spoke to one of the guys running the place before they opened and he told me to get into real good shape and come back...I've been tryna stay skinny and avoid adding muscle to stay light but Imma hit the weights hard so I can appear to be more desirable to a trainer I guess....so I'll be going back soon...tough hours over there too man....thought they opened at 4 and I showed up at 6 and was waiting around for them to open up...next time I'm calling before my half hour drive there

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                mma gyms are the wrong place to go to learn boxing just as a boxing gym wouldn't help with mma fights. The punch delivery idiology is completely different and in mma theres no defense off punching because of counter kicks that could be returned. You might slip or roll into a foot or knee!
                Find a gym that has produced amateur champs at the Golden Glove, P.A.L.
                and USA boxing organizations competitions. State Regional and National experienced trainers is what you need, not local "boxing fitness" centers.
                Ray
                Yea the new one I'm at is strictly boxing and looks a lot more serious....
                Figured I'd get my money's worth where I'm at..only 2 more classes so for what it's worth...I'm glad I did it to give me that little confidence boost.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

I signed up to a kickboxing gym a week ago and been taking the boxing classes there and gotta admit I'm disappointed in it...the gym seems to have a good reputation...but the classes are real mellow and I'm left wanting to do more...I feel like the teacher just can't wait to go home...there's people in the class that have been going there a year and It seems like there's no real sparring or intense work-even for them, we're all doing the same ****....I got to speak to one of the owners Before the class tonight and I asked how to go about trying to get a amature fight and he pretty much told me everyone in that gym that fights pays for one on one sessions which are 50 bucks an hour(which I cant afford Cuz of wife,kids, and a mortgage ect.) and he said "this isn't like a p.a.l. Gym".

So my question is do these pal gyms give people the time of day and opportunity to get into amature fighting?

I'm a little bummed I was told you gotta pay to play haha
                  Well first of all are u upto fighting?
                  Have you sparred yet?
                  I'm not digging you out but I've seen a couple of types in gyms. Those that just want to learn, some end up becoming pro fighters. Then the other type, that walk through the door & think they're fighter material already. I sparred a few. I remember 1 fella loading up & tense as ****. He was sure he was mean & a fighter. I kept relaxed moved about & hit him in the neck with my leading leg, I pulled the shot completely, it was a tap but the guys attitude changed immediately. He didn't come back.
                  You need to be at a gym that has a decent record, there's no point training at a gym & paying 1-1 if the guy doesn't know how to train & know how to score. It's no good with them having fighter's on the circuit that are constantly losing. A good gym will have a good record with their fighters.
                  Some coaches just don't know how to score a fight & because of that they'll focus on the wrong drills. Body kicks score well & some gyms aren't aware of it.
                  It's a serious sport where u can get hurt & disfigured, so choose wisely.
                  If you're serious & have the opportunity then head out to Thailand. 6 months will see u come on leaps & bounds. 18-36 mths will see that u know your stuff. You'll get plenty of opportunity there & its the best training & cheap. What you'll pay for 1 hour in some 2 bob gyms will get u a weeks worth with top class coaches.
                  Depends how serious u want to take it

Comment

Originally posted by ukbox View Post
                    Well first of all are u upto fighting?
                    Have you sparred yet?
                    I'm not digging you out but I've seen a couple of types in gyms. Those that just want to learn, some end up becoming pro fighters. Then the other type, that walk through the door & think they're fighter material already. I sparred a few. I remember 1 fella loading up & tense as ****. He was sure he was mean & a fighter. I kept relaxed moved about & hit him in the neck with my leading leg, I pulled the shot completely, it was a tap but the guys attitude changed immediately. He didn't come back.
                    You need to be at a gym that has a decent record, there's no point training at a gym & paying 1-1 if the guy doesn't know how to train & know how to score. It's no good with them having fighter's on the circuit that are constantly losing. A good gym will have a good record with their fighters.
                    Some coaches just don't know how to score a fight & because of that they'll focus on the wrong drills. Body kicks score well & some gyms aren't aware of it.
                    It's a serious sport where u can get hurt & disfigured, so choose wisely.
                    If you're serious & have the opportunity then head out to Thailand. 6 months will see u come on leaps & bounds. 18-36 mths will see that u know your stuff. You'll get plenty of opportunity there & its the best training & cheap. What you'll pay for 1 hour in some 2 bob gyms will get u a weeks worth with top class coaches.
                    Depends how serious u want to take it
                    Takin a class...they really only do light sparring there though

I'm not a ****y *******....I try to be modest...not gonna sit here and stroke myself to convince u I'm tough.

Only been seriously training boxing for about 4 months....so I'm really lookin forward to real pace sparring....not tryna be pro because I'm a realist and my life dosent give me much spare time to be training hours on end....single income family and 2 young kids...hard enough to get an hour of training in every day...I know it's a journey and not a race but I'd like to spar asap so I can get a real taste for this sport....shadow box and heavy bag alone is getting a little dull and I want that challenge. I'm not walking in thinking I'm gods gift to the sport but I also have a positive outlook that I know I have the potential and work ethic to be decent...and the goal is to eventually fight amatures

Comment

Takin a class...they really only do light sparring there though

I'm not a ****y *******....I try to be modest...not gonna sit here and stroke myself to convince u I'm tough.

Only been seriously training boxing for about 4 months....so I'm really lookin forward to real pace sparring....not tryna be pro because I'm a realist and my life dosent give me much spare time to be training hours on end....single income family and 2 young kids...hard enough to get an hour of training in every day...I know it's a journey and not a race but I'd like to spar asap so I can get a real taste for this sport....shadow box and heavy bag alone is getting a little dull and I want that challenge. I'm not walking in thinking I'm gods gift to the sport but I also have a positive outlook that I know I have the potential and work ethic to be decent...and the goal is to eventually fight amatures
                      You got a good attitude. Some things to beware of are coaches claiming to be light heavyweight or heavyweight champ of Chiang mai or hua hin etc. That means they've fought nobodies. Thais are small, when they get that big they're old, fat & lazy.
                      Look for a Thai coach or a guy with stadium experience. MT is new in USA so not as deep but there's a few good guys with top level experience. Canadians have been at it a while. Best over there was Simon Marcus, good Thai style, not bouncy.
                      Schilling is pretty good but known for punching. Ky hollenbeck had an unusual style & has been in with some good uns..beat watson
                      Kevin Ross had a nice style with top experience in thai.

See how far those guys are or give them a call, I'm sure they'll advise on who's worth checking out in your area. Its better to travel a bit(within reason) & learn at a good camp than it is to train with someone who's not really got a clue. Look for a proper Mt gym rather than a mcdojo
                      Not sure if there's an interclub circuit over there but its a step up from sparring & a step down from fighting. Should be controlled contact with different gyms,styles
                      My first coach I thought he was great, I spent a few bob with him...then I went to Thailand. I learned more in 3 days than I'd learned in a month with my first coach...spent a good bit on him too
                      Just enjoy it & take your time. Spar light, stay relaxed & have fun

Comment

Working...
                      X