Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I missing something? Crawford looked great.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One should never underestimate the will, mind, spirit and resolve of a prizefighter. Benavidez didn't come to lay down for Crawford he came to fight. He displayed tons of balls with a bum knee.

Crawford was wise. He knew that Jose was trying to lure him into a firefight early, so he was very patient and methodical as usual, in his approach and broke him down slowly over a period of time.

He didn't rush or force the stoppage. Besides, Benavidez, Jr was the naturally larger and stronger guy. What he lacked in skills he more than made up for in physical ability.

Overall, I tip my hat to Terence Crawford on a beautiful display of boxing.

Comment

That fight went far better than I expected it with two counterpunchers in the ring. This could had been much slower and it was a very interesting fight.

Jose trained well for this fight and stuck to the game plan.

Comment

Didn't see the fight. Catch it on replay later but just pointing out it's like his 4th weight class.

At some point peoples going to have to accept you can't just go around roll everyone over like he did with smaller people.

He's done enough to earn his p4p spot. Subjective but can't deny he's top 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicc View Post
          I gave Benavidez 4 of the first 6 rounds. Crawford didn't look that great, but the crowd cheered any time he looked like he might've landed something. Crawford's supposed to be top 3 p4p, but he was being outboxed by a handicapped can opener. I'm not completely sold on Crawford until he convincingly beats a healthy Thurman or Spence/whoever beats them.

He broke down a cripple, who wasn't even top 20 in his division. The highlight of Benavidez's entire career is a controversial decision against Mauricio Herrera. There was nothing impressive about that performance, imho.
          If this is so, one of us doesn’t know how to score a fight. Lol I gave Crawford the first six rounds, with Benavidez possibly winning one or two of the close, early frames. So, at best, Jose was down 4-2. There’s just no way he was up. Crawford’s domination only increased as the fight progressed. The fight was a near (or complete) shutout.

Now, I agree that we’ll have to wait until Bud steps up versus the big boys in the division to know exactly how good he really is, but I thought he looked damn impressive last night, regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
            One should never underestimate the will, mind, spirit and resolve of a prizefighter. Benavidez didn't come to lay down for Crawford he came to fight. He displayed tons of balls with a bum knee.

Crawford was wise. He knew that Jose was trying to lure him into a firefight early, so he was very patient and methodical as usual, in his approach and broke him down slowly over a period of time.

He didn't rush or force the stoppage. Besides, Benavidez, Jr was the naturally larger and stronger guy. What he lacked in skills he more than made up for in physical ability.

Overall, I tip my hat to Terence Crawford on a beautiful display of boxing.
            Well said. Couldn’t agree more.

Comment

Benavidez has the size and reach advantage while being a strong counter puncher. I also came away impressed with Crawford. He’s prob the best pound for pound and fun to watch go to work

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                He was outboxing crawford in the first few rounds. Benavidez had the mental edge and the momentum due to it and crawford had to will himself out of a hole.

I think benavidez's downfall here was his inexperience more so than his knee. He didnt seem to have the mental stamina to compete at the level even if he had the skill, he shut down fairly early before those bodyshots really had time to take affect. His knee did seem like a problem though.
                ... I re-watched the fight: with one minute to go into the 1st round, Benavidez stepped back but immediately lost his balance on the right foot... and, of course, Benavidez displayed lack of experience at top P4P level... on the other hand, Bud played it safe vs a much bigger opponent...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                  Bud maybe lost a round, two being generous to Benavidez. Jose was awkward and tough and then got very defensive. What are you expecting?

Crawford found a way to break him down and take him out. That impressive.
                  Agreed. Crawford dominated, especially in the second half. Near whitewash against a solid opponent. Bud really impressed me with his handspeed and skills. His movement was great, and some of that combination punching was just beautiful to watch. He was putting mustard into punches when he saw the opportunity, and mixed up the combos with shots to the body then the head. Textbook stuff. Benavidez was a tough nut to crack, so that late KO was actually pretty good against a guy like that. (Crawford has now KOed his last five opponents.)

I’m eager to see Bud versus the bigger names — Jose just wasn’t in his league — but Crawford looks damn good to me right now. Impressive boxer-puncher.

Comment

Crawford looked good but he didn't look p4p #1 good. It's just one fight and one style that he had a little harder time adjusting to but eventually, he did.

Comment

Disagree. Crawford looked average in there. looked uncomfortable and unsteady at times trying to deal with Benavidez height and counters. this guy has one fckn leg and isn't ranked in the top 30. this is not how a pound for pound king is supposed to look against a cripple. people on here said GGG was exposed vs Brook for fxcks sake lol. keep that same energy.

what that fight proved though is Lomachenko is the CLEAR #1 pound for pound at the moment. no need for a debate after last night. and yes i picked Bud to win but left more impressed with the one legged opponent than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X