Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The $1 Billion Question - Does Hearn Still Have His Billion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    AJ isn't exclusive to DAZN in the U.S.
    I have a tough time believing he’ll be fighting on any other platform in the foreseeable future when it comes to rights for his fights in the US

I could be wrong though

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
      I have a tough time believing he’ll be fighting on any other platform in the foreseeable future when it comes to rights for his fights in the US

I could be wrong though
      Hearn said it would be fight by fight. But the only real US PPV fight for Joshua is Wilder, outside of that it I doubt he would be able to make more than what DAZN would pay him elsewhere.

Comment

Not a single mention of Hearn in the press releases for the Canelo deal. According to Fat Boy Dan Oscar made the deal directly with DAZN deal has nothing to do with Hearn. Deal was made with Oscar and John Skipper. Just like Oscar said a week ago when told reporters Canelo is not signing to Hearn or Arum and that they are not co-promoting him with any promoter that they would go above the promoter and sign his own deal with the network. And that's exactly what he did. So they are shelling out 365M guaranteed to Canelo and also the 10 fights per year budget they just gave Oscar for Golden Boy fights is a huge financial commitment for DAZN. So are they paying some or all that money out of the pot they were going to pay Hearn? I heard someone say DAZN has a 2 year opt out clause in their contract. I can't imagine some of this money not coming from the bucket they had put aside for Hearn and what's to stop DAZN opting out in 2 years now that they already have Canelo and Golden Boy's roster locked up. lol

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...5-million-dazn

But about two weeks ago, De La Hoya and Gomez also met with John Skipper, the executive chairman of Perform Group, DAZN's parent company, in Los Angeles. De La Hoya and Skipper already knew each other from when Skipper was the president of ESPN and Golden Boy had a limited deal for a series of boxing events on the network; and they were able to make this deal in relatively short order because De La Hoya needed a home for his fighters and Skipper, with money to spend, needed content for the new service.

"We were able to reach a conclusion of what Canelo is worth today and what he is worth tomorrow, and we worked out this deal," De La Hoya said.

Said Skipper: "We are thrilled to be exclusive partners with Golden Boy Promotions and Oscar De La Hoya. By bringing Canelo's fights to DAZN, we will turn his pay-per-view success into a growth engine for subscribers -- a truly transformational moment for our business and the entire industry."

The deal with Golden Boy also will give DAZN access to the roughly 7,000-hour library of Golden Boy's fights, including from De La Hoya's Hall of Fame career. Golden Boy Media and Entertainment also will produce various shoulder programs to complement the live events.

Comment

Originally posted by NahMean View Post
          From what I read GBP has 10 dates but those 10 dates could also be on Hearn's 16 dates GBP will be co promoting on Hearn's cards.
          GBP isn't co-promoting with Hearn, that makes no sense at all. They bring the biggest star in boxing to DAZN just to co-promote? Huh? Why? Plus they brought over their library. This is a separate deal from Hearn.

I'd still imagine Hearn still has his same budget. DAZN is loaded with money, they want as much sports content as possible.

What this does though is put Hearn on the clock. Time to get some big signings of his own. Or else after two years are up, may not make any sense picking up the six year option as they can just give GBP their boxing budget.

Comment

Dazn was already great at 10 bucks a month. Now it has all of the Matchroom cards, all of the GBP cards and the WBSS season 2. In addition to Bellator and Combate Americas.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              Eddie Hearn has yet to deliver on anything that he's promised to DAZN, and now DAZN was able to finalize a deal with Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez ($36.5m per fight for the US TV rights, basically locks in Canelo at averaging 1m homes per fight for the next ten fights on PPV) without Eddie Hearn bringing it to the table.
              Hearn had to sign off on this deal. Just like the WBSS deal. He isn't involved directly with Canelo but now can match Fielding, Brook, etc and get his stars paid. I wonder what Jermall Charlo is looking to do now

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
                I’ve already said it but it’s going to be interesting what the 3 platforms do from here on out and who’s left standing after the dust settles
                Actually, all will be successful because they actually aren't battling each other now.
                It was just HBO vs SHO. Now, HBO is out the picture and SHO has no competition in the premium cable world.

Over on regular cable, ESPN only has FS1 to worry about and as long as they don't have cards on the same night everything should be cool.

FOX is all alone on the free TV market.

DAZN and (ESPN+) to an extent are the streaming services.

As long as non on the shows overlap each other, their should be no problem and they can all thrive at the same time.

Comment

DAZN has 1 Billion NOT Eddie!

DAZN should've done a deal with GBP first before Hearn to be honest

wanting to give Eddie all the credit to me is Hurting DAZN reputation and image

Comment

I think the canelo deal it outside of hearn and directly with danz, not sure tho, I just want to see canelo fight Andrade or charlo at some point.

Comment

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/statu...95660422303745

Funds for the GBP deal are completely separate investment according to Hearn himself.

Comment

Working...
                      X