Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High-Paying Trade Jobs Sit Empty, While High School Grads Line Up For University

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
    We found the guy wif da gender study degree...bish nukka
    Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    nah, physiotherapy degree (physical therapy in USA)

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
      nah, physiotherapy degree (physical therapy in USA)
      Dont quote me, bruh...you aint got the heart to fock wif me. Anybody can do pt, that **** aint hard

Comment

I heard a guy say the chance of you getting a high paying job right out of college depends on how many Asians were in your classes in college.
        Prob true to be fair

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
          Dont quote me, bruh...you aint got the heart to fock wif me. Anybody can do pt, that **** aint hard
          grade boundaries say otherwise mate lol. Looking at A's at A-level over here which is what i got.

Comment

That's not it at all. It's that schools and parents are pushing every single kid to go to college. Young adults today aren't afraid of physically demanding work. And technology in the trades has taken on a lot of the physically demanding labor.

High schools have to stop teaching every child that college is for them. These trades need to be taught in high school. By the time a kid is a senior the schools should have a pretty good idea if they're college material or not.
            This right here. ^^^^

I only have an Associate's degree (in Machine Technology). I'm a CNC programmer and machinist, and I make more money than most college graduates I know.

But to add to your point, I had to learn the trade in community college because there's maybe only one or two high schools in all of San Diego county that has a machining program. My high school did have auto mechanic program at least, not sure if they still do though.

I wish I got into this industry in my early 20s instead of my late 20s caused I'd be making more money now. As a programmer, I'll have the option of working as an independent contractor and taking side jobs, eventually I can work completely for myself. Easier said than done, but I like what I do now more than anything I would have done if I went the four year university route.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
              a lot of them are lying about how much work they are doing though lol, i hear it all the time 'im earning 40k a year' and it turns out they are working 50 hour weeks. if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. noones gonna be paying you big money to do grunt labour that any other ****er could do, sorry if that offends people but thats the reality.
              A lot of college graduates already work 50-60 hours a week and get paid salary so they don't even get paid overtime (in America at least). Skilled labor and trade jobs usually pays per hour, so at least they get compensated for the extra time they work.

There's a difference between skilled labor and grunt labor. A lot of skilled labor jobs still require training/schooling and if you don't have that, then you need to have years of experience on your resume. Grunt labor is on the low end and has jobs that even illegals can get.

So the skilled labor and trade jobs aren't too good to be true because you still have to put the time and work in just to qualify for these jobs. The big advantage is that it's a lot cheaper than paying for an education at a university.

Comment

One thing people who have never been to Uni underestimate is how ****ing great it is.

All that stuff you hear about the sex, experimental chicks, booze, drugs n stuff is 100% true and then some.

The lifestyle is like nothing you would ever experience. Like having a 3 year lads holiday with a few lectures and essays thrown in.

As long you dont get sucked in to the point you flunk out or end up with a **** grade, which ive seen many people do, its ****ing amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  One thing people who have never been to Uni underestimate is how ****ing great it is.

All that stuff you hear about the sex, experimental chicks, booze, drugs n stuff is 100% true and then some.

The lifestyle is like nothing you would ever experience. Like having a 3 year lads holiday with a few lectures and essays thrown in.

As long you dont get sucked in to the point you flunk out or end up with a **** grade, which ive seen many people do, its ****ing amazing.
                  True. When i would visit my friends in college i had a blast. I remember going to Eastern Michigan University to visit a friend for the weekend. Ended up staying two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                    A lot of college graduates already work 50-60 hours a week and get paid salary so they don't even get paid overtime (in America at least). Skilled labor and trade jobs usually pays per hour, so at least they get compensated for the extra time they work.

There's a difference between skilled labor and grunt labor. A lot of skilled labor jobs still require training/schooling and if you don't have that, then you need to have years of experience on your resume. Grunt labor is on the low end and has jobs that even illegals can get.

So the skilled labor and trade jobs aren't too good to be true because you still have to put the time and work in just to qualify for these jobs. The big advantage is that it's a lot cheaper than paying for an education at a university.
                    might be different in america, all i can say in uk is i know a lot of people doing apprenticeships and its the longest road to nowhere usually. they sure as **** arent earning over 30k on 37.5 hours which is standard hours here.

Comment

Totally agree that more people need to get into trades.

College is really only needed if you are doing something specialized like finance, programming, engineering, etc. Too many people go to college and get crap degrees in literature, social studies, African history, etc and then get stuck with dead end job and student loans. I’m fairly certain if a student loan bubble bursts, the vast majority of defaulters will be of the worthless degree kind.

A lot of people need vocation schools and learn a trade and find a career not a job.

Comment

Working...
                      X