No announcement yet.

Super Heavyweight era..?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
    IMO not enough talent to further divide the 200+ division..
    When I've watched the elite bigger guys over the years it seems inevitable they impose their size and strength. Ultimately it ends up in a one sided show and it's becoming a boring routine. I'm not sure if you've felt like that at all watching a fight recently?.

Comment

Lets look at two logical propositions:

1) The best heavyweights are all the biggest. This is wrong.

2) More guys that compete at heavy are bigger heavyweights. This is correct.

The problem is that because of the first statement being wrong there is no inherent logical reason why the second statement indicates that bigger heavyweights are better.

I am sure there may well be a time when the first and second statement are true but until then I don't think bigger is better....there are a lot of bigger heavyweights and the division is very weak right now. When that changes there may be something to the idea that bigger is better.

We may be heading into a time when the division is strong again and it may show us that the bigger guys are the best fighters, and we may enter a time when smaller fighters continue to a be a force to be reckoned with, time will tell.

Comment

No, terrible idea. Guys like Wilder, Jennings, Haye and Povetkin can easily weigh under 225 and they're all top 10.

Comment

The last thing boxing needs, is another weight class with 4 Org's.

I couldn't think of anything worse.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
            That's the scary thing 205lb to 230lb is a massive difference, especially in this hurt game. I actually been meaning to ask you a question but I didn't think you would respond. Did the Super Heavyweight lineage/dominance start from Lennox Lewis?

Lennox Lewis > Klitschko bro's > Tyson Fury/Wilder
            The sport has always had behemoths of 6'6'' and over, however Lewis and the Klitschko brothers weighed 250lbs+ and ruled the division since 2000-2015 Tyson Fury and Wilder are carrying on that tradition. It will be difficult today for fighters from the lower weight classes of Cruiserweight and lightheavyweight divisions, too move up and campaign successfully at Heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              The sport has always had behemoths of 6'6'' and over, however Lewis and the Klitschko brothers weighed 250lbs+ and ruled the division since 2000-2015 Tyson Fury and Wilder are carrying on that tradition. It will be difficult today for fighters from the lower weight classes of Cruiserweight and lightheavyweight divisions, too move up and campaign successfully at Heavyweight.
              Lennox Lewis at his best was around 225. The guy that stepped into the ring against Tyson was an old Lewis and the same against Holyfield (all 3 were past it actually). Wilder for his fight can go below 220 if he wanted, he was below that against Stiverne for sure. There is Tyson Fury but that guy is just a mammoth, most guys out there could actually get down to the cruiserweight limit at some point in their career, if Tyson Fury wanted to get under 205 he would have to saw of a leg.

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
                Lennox Lewis at his best was around 225. The guy that stepped into the ring against Tyson was an old Lewis and the same against Holyfield (all 3 were past it actually). Wilder for his fight can go below 220 if he wanted, he was below that against Stiverne for sure. There is Tyson Fury but that guy is just a mammoth, most guys out there could actually get down to the cruiserweight limit at some point in their career, if Tyson Fury wanted to get under 205 he would have to saw of a leg.
                Very well said...Reminds me of a post you made about Cruisers and weight issues. Its a point people seem to neglect in thier reasoning, namely that the fighters we consider "evolved in size and stature" would be at their best if...they were within the weight of what is considered historically the weight of a heavyweight.... between 195 and 230 give or take!

Ill do you one better KD, how much better would Tyson Fury be if he lost another ten to twenty pounds? He is indeed a big guy but he carries extra weight as well and if he enters the ring at what? 250? If he toned down and lost an extra ten....thats 240 which is ten pounds bigger than the top side historical average for a heavyweight...

Comment

I don't see why a guy like Haye or Povetkin couldn't be heavyweight champ in this era. Klitschko was good at nullifying the small guys, i'm not so sure that guys like Wilder, Fury and Joshua or whoever else has the same discipline.

Being small is not necessarily a disadvantage. As Holyfield would say, you just have to learn how to fight big guys.

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
                    Lennox Lewis at his best was around 225.
                    What exactly do you base that on? He weighed around 225 for the first couple of years in his career, that was it.

He had his best fights at 235-245.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                      What exactly do you base that on? He weighed around 225 for the first couple of years in his career, that was it.

He had his best fights at 235-245.
                      At 6 ft 5+ with a 84 or so inch reach, I think we can safely consider him as a Super Heavyweight for this threads purpose. Same applies to Deontay.

Comment

Working...
                      X