why's cruiserweight dead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why's cruiserweight dead

why is the division so quiet??
    i dont understand? it seems to have some pretty good fighters, why does it have little to no audience/talk?

I'm pretty sure it's a popular division in (Eastern) Europe. The only guys I know are Huck, Chakhkiev, and now Glowacki.

The only relevant (not really) American cruiserweight is Roy Jones Jr. I think.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
      i dont understand? it seems to have some pretty good fighters, why does it have little to no audience/talk?
      champions:
      WBC- Grigory Drozd (Russia)
      WBA- Denis Lebedev (Russia)
      IBF- Yoan Pablo Hernandez (no idea where he's based)

WBO- Krzysztof Glowacki [Poland, though likely sharing time in Jersey/Chicago]

Beyond that, there's a rebirth that's starting to come for the weight class, especially in the US, thanks to the PBC.

Huck, Glowacki, Shumenov, Flores and Tony Bellew all bring the international presence to TV, and PBC currently has formal relationships with, according to BoxRec, 8 of the top 20 American cruiserweights, with no obvious barriers to working with most of the other names.

Haymon simply needs to make the fights for PBC and give the audience a chance to see the 200lbers fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        champions:

Beyond that, there's a rebirth that's starting to come for the weight class, especially in the US, thanks to the PBC.

Huck, Glowacki, Shumenov, Flores and Tony Bellew all bring the international presence to TV, and PBC currently has formal relationships with, according to BoxRec, 8 of the top 20 American cruiserweights, with no obvious barriers to working with most of the other names.

Haymon simply needs to make the fights for PBC and give the audience a chance to see the 200lbers fight.
        interesting.., i wonder why there are so few non-european cruiserweights.

Comment

Drozd, Chahkiev, Kudryashov, Lebedev, Makabu, Glowacki, Usyk. This devision is pretty deep with many punchers and technically sound fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by From Russia View Post
            Drozd, Chahkiev, Kudryashov, Lebedev, Makabu, Glowacki, Usyk. This devision is pretty deep with many punchers and technically sound fighters.
            all eastern euros, they should try to market themselves in america!!
            or i guess i should just follow their boxing more

Comment

It's a decent enough division which has had some good fights in recent years: Huck/Glow most recently, Huck/Ola, Leb/Guillermo Jones and a handful of others. Some decent KO punchers there too. But the problem is these good fights come along once in a while and most of the fighter ply their trade in eastern europe, not many have big european contracts with german or british tv and so on. So it's a niche division now.

Comment

Its a decent division with its names etc and like the poster said above me it has become a niche division catering mainly to the East European audience.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                  Do you not remember 2 weeks ago?
                  Glowacki upset Huck in a FoTY contender. It was on Spike TV here in the U.S.
                  Yoan Pablo Hernandez is defending his belt against Victor Ramirez next month in Argentina
                  Denis Lebedev is defending his belt against Lateef Kayode in Nov. in Russia
                  Chakhkiev vs Afolbai and Dmitry Kudryashov are on the same card.
                  Oleksandr Usyk is fighting this weekend in Ukraine

Comment

It isn't. The division has provided three of the best fights this year with Lebedev/Kalenga, Ramirez/Afolabi and Glowacki/Huck. Lebedev/Kalenga was arguably the best card all year and in Nov there is another one.

These are all happening

Ramirez vs Hernandez
                    Chakhkiev vs Afolabi
                    Drozd vs Makabu
                    Lebedev vs Kayode

while Glowacki vs Kudryashov is being discussed. It's one of the few divisions where the top guys have been routinely fighting eachother.

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    champions:

They're all utterly irrelevant aside from Shumenov shamefully being Lebedev's mandatory and future knockout victim. Lebedev, Drozd, Kudryashov, Chakhkiev are all with billionaire Ryabinskiy so Haymon won't be doing jack. The unfortunate thing is Glowacki will likely become irrelevant because he's working with Al with America becoming the new Germany.

Comment

Working...
                    X