Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Nonito Donaire make the Hall of Fame?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donaire had a strong start, then he moved up in weight and competition and got iced. He fizzled out quickly and completely. He is not HOF material.

Comment

Good fighter who feed on smaller men ,not good enough to make the Hall of fame. Hall of Fame is for great Fighters

Comment

He was one of my favorites in his prime but I don't think he made the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
          At one point he was top 5 P4P so if he doesn't make it who will???
          Some people even had him at #1 for a while. I feel Nonito is getting judged too harshly because of the bad outing with Rigo. Yes he lost but he lost to another great fighter. In all time great amateur fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Blu View Post
            I think he does. He's without a doubt one of the greatest asian fighters ever. Plus he was absolutely destroying his competition during his reign as champ, also he probably has the best left hook of the last 20 years.
            I’m unsure whether he gets in, he definitely gets on the ballot. I tend to look at careers in terms of accomplishment, resume and impact on the sport/legacy.
            He certainly has the accomplishments - 4 weight world champ, multiple time unified champion, 2012 BWAA FOTY etc.
            His resume is very good but he probably lacks that truly elite win although Montiel, Darchinyan and Nishioka were all very impressive wins IMO.
            His legacy isn’t that strong but I think most fight fans will remember him as an exciting fighter with a lethal left hook but in saying that he hasn’t had the sort of impact on the sport people will reminisce about for years.
            Taking all that into account, my personal opinion would be he is a worthy HOF’er, his career obviously hasn’t ended yet but I’d like to think he’s done enough already

Comment

In my opinion he is.

4 division champ at flyweight,
              bantamweight (unified), super bantamweight (unified), and featherweight

Scored the knockout of the year against darchinyan (p4p top ten), another knockout out of the year against montiel (p4p top ten) annihilated nishioka (#1 at super bantamweight).

Also had wins over other champs or top ten contenders like:

Tyson Marquez
              Sydorenko
              Narvaez
              Arce
              Vazquez jr
              Mathebula
              Vetyeka

Was the hardest puncher and a top p4p fighter in his prime, and had one of the greatest left hooks ever. Only lost to top rated fighters in higher weight classes and only got dominated by a special fighter in rigondeaux. No shame in that imo

Comment

If Gatti got in Donaire sure as hell should if it's based on accomplishments

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
                  At one point he was top 5 P4P so if he doesn't make it who will???
                  Several fighters in Ring history were top 5 P4P fighters or better at one point, and never made it to the HOF.

To name some...

Diego Corrales #5
                  Michael Nunn #3
                  Meldrick Taylor #5
                  James McGirt #5
                  Jermain Taylor #5

Comment

He doesn't get in. Good wins against good fighters, but he also spent a lot of time not fighting. Contract disputes that put him on the bench for long periods after signature wins.
                    I just thing he gets in.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      Several fighters in Ring history were top 5 P4P fighters or better at one point, and never made it to the HOF.

To name some...

Diego Corrales #5
                      Michael Nunn #3
                      Meldrick Taylor #5
                      James McGirt #5
                      Jermain Taylor #5
                      that's very sad imo

Comment

Working...
                      X