Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters that are just a level below elite

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Matthysse. He's my favorite fighter but he's not elite. He's right under it.

Comment

Canelo Alvarez

GGG

Danny Garcia

Lara

Frampton

Jacobs

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
        People aren't allowed to talk bad about Golovkin and Kovalev's opponents.

oh now it makes sense, beercules is a fanboy

Comment

Manny Pacquaio

Just never made it to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
            Why did you name those two specifically?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG GUNZ View Post
              Which fighters would you say are good to very good but not at the elite level but are maybe just a step below.

I’d personally say Maidana, Matthysse, Peterson, Danny Garcia, Judah fit in this category. Matthysse is one of my favorite fighters but he always came up short against really tough fighters most of the time. Khan I think had a small few year window where he was considered an elite level fighter but than once he got KO’d by Garcia he’s never been the same.
              Khan had that tough night against Diaz and looked to be a bit under sized versus Algieri but in both instances his ability to punch and move showed and ultimately he was outboxing Canelo more thoroughly than anyone since Floyd before getting stopped.

Now...can he still be elite 2 years later? I dunno.

The nearly elite list has to include Porter, Trout, Andrade and a few others. Andrade at least has a chance to prove himself as he is still young enough.

Comment

Danny Garcia??? He's only last one fight against the unified Welterweight champ

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  Khan had that tough night against Diaz and looked to be a bit under sized versus Algieri but in both instances his ability to punch and move showed and ultimately he was outboxing Canelo more thoroughly than anyone since Floyd before getting stopped.

Now...can he still be elite 2 years later? I dunno.

The nearly elite list has to include Porter, Trout, Andrade and a few others. Andrade at least has a chance to prove himself as he is still young enough.
                  Yes, Trout is a great one. A very good fighter but just a level below the best. Porter it’s still hard to say. I personally feel he clearly lost to Thurman but it was sort of close. Porter won 4 or 5 rounds. Same with the Brook fight, he did well but came up short. He still has time to prove himself though since he still has a lot of years left.

Comment

Which fighters would you say are good to very good but not at the elite level but are maybe just a step below.

I’d personally say Maidana, Matthysse, Peterson, Danny Garcia, Judah fit in this category. Matthysse is one of my favorite fighters but he always came up short against really tough fighters most of the time. Khan I think had a small few year window where he was considered an elite level fighter but than once he got KO’d by Garcia he’s never been the same.
                    Using elite as a point of reference is an inferior tool. prefer the alphabet system. A-F with +/-'s eliminates your problem.

Comment

Yes, Trout is a great one. A very good fighter but just a level below the best. Porter it’s still hard to say. I personally feel he clearly lost to Thurman but it was sort of close. Porter won 4 or 5 rounds. Same with the Brook fight, he did well but came up short. He still has time to prove himself though since he still has a lot of years left.
                      I felt Porter beat Thurman but it was a round either way kinda fight, then again I don't necessarily think Thurman is elite either lol

Thurman however has a chance to prove himself with a rematch against Porter and a fight against Spence. For Porter, I feel the ship has sailed.

Comment

Working...
                      X