Trainer not training me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trainer not training me

Hello
    This is not to question my trainer or anything, I just wanted to ask if this was normal, I have being going to a boxing gym for a while now, I have asked my trainer to train me lots of times, I think he forgets or something lol. He is a very nice guy, One of the best trainer, I have come across, I have nothing but respect for him.
    I do not receive any training from him, I have asked him so many times, I want to spar in the ring, I think maybe he does not train me is because he thinks I am not ready, I have done pad work with him maybe 2-3 times in the 1 year thats all, I attend the gym twice a week, I really want to be coached and trained, I want to be a amateur boxer and time is ticking, I am 25 years old. I watch videos on youtube and I am self taught, I understand that is not good because I need coaching.
    I want to ask what I should do.

This happens all the time. Lots of trainers are more concerned with training their pro and/or star fighters than spotting and grooming new talent. Unfortunately, there's not much I can suggest other than to find a new gym and hope you're taken seriously there. It's nothing to feel bad about; it's not so much a reflection on you but, rather, on them.

Alternatively, if you cannot go to any other gym, I suggest you attend more often and throw yourself into sparring situations. In my experience, it's kinda a "who wants to spar" sort of deal, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get in. Be warned, though, trainers like that also might not think too much about protecting their fighters. One time, I was thrown in with a guy that was at least 6'5 and weighed over 365 pounds, or so they said. His muscles were ridiculously huge, too, so, you may know what that means. Biggest guy I've ever seen in my life. All I have to say is to protect yourself, because no one else will, and your health is more important than winning any sparring match. It's not a real fight, so why risk taking that sort of damage?

You're probably entering the prime of your life, so think everything over and do what's best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
      This happens all the time. Lots of trainers are more concerned with training their pro and/or star fighters than spotting and grooming new talent. Unfortunately, there's not much I can suggest other than to find a new gym and hope you're taken seriously there. It's nothing to feel bad about; it's not so much a reflection on you but, rather, on them.

Alternatively, if you cannot go to any other gym, I suggest you attend more often and throw yourself into sparring situations. In my experience, it's kinda a "who wants to spar" sort of deal, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get in. Be warned, though, trainers like that also might not think too much about protecting their fighters. One time, I was thrown in with a guy that was at least 6'5 and weighed over 365 pounds, or so they said. His muscles were ridiculously huge, too, so, you may know what that means. Biggest guy I've ever seen in my life. All I have to say is to protect yourself, because no one else will, and your health is more important than winning any sparring match. It's not a real fight, so why risk taking that sort of damage?

You're probably entering the prime of your life, so think everything over and do what's best for you.
      I agree with you, He trains his fighters and does the normal boxing routine with them, I feel left out, I want the training as well, there are other gyms, iv remained loyal with this gym because I have made friends in the gym. I have told some of the fighters about this issue they told me i have to go to them.
      how did you get on with the big 6.5 monster, I have sparred big guys they are hard because they try to push you with their weight

Comment

I was a buck 75 and they were throwing me in with heavyweights. One guy who was being groomed for the golden gloves even... with such a weight disparity, there is no neutral space to operate in.. you have two options.either take it to that mf'er or play keep away...

You wanna be taken seriously? Show dedication to your craft. Treat it like a profession. I'll ask you a question..no need to answer if you don't want just to get you thinking.. these guys he DOES work with, how many times a week they coming in to the gym? How intense are they in their training? How does it compare to yours? These are all things a coach will notice, they are the rivals for your trainer's attention...show him something. Forget a friend..get noticed! Be a fighter. End of.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
          I was a buck 75 and they were throwing me in with heavyweights. One guy who was being groomed for the golden gloves even... with such a weight disparity, there is no neutral space to operate in.. you have two options.either take it to that mf'er or play keep away...

You wanna be taken seriously? Show dedication to your craft. Treat it like a profession. I'll ask you a question..no need to answer if you don't want just to get you thinking.. these guys he DOES work with, how many times a week they coming in to the gym? How intense are they in their training? How does it compare to yours? These are all things a coach will notice, they are the rivals for your trainer's attention...show him something. Forget a friend..get noticed! Be a fighter. End of.
          The classes are only 3 times a week, I go twice a week, I should go 3 times a week. I train hard in the boxing gym,I dont mess around when training,I have my headphones on and get in the groove.

Comment

Originally posted by AHussain123 View Post
            The classes are only 3 times a week, I go twice a week, I should go 3 times a week. I train hard in the boxing gym,I dont mess around when training,I have my headphones on and get in the groove.
            Well something is off if you've been there a year and only worked mitts once or twice and never sparred. They have you pegged as a part-timer.. A cardio boxer.. Whatever. Assuming this guy is a good trainer, recall what he went over with you when he did work with you. Practice that to a tee... Then show him your progress. a coach with the eye will notice your development and give you avenues to proceed.

That's assuming it's a good coach. Honestly, first impressions are very lasting. If they have you pegged a certain way, then it will be hard to climb out that hole of perception. And your tools are probably not honed enough to blast your way out. A clean slate may be just what you need. A new gym and trainer. You can take your knowledge up to this point and use it as a base at your new gym...will probably receive more consideration that way. Having friends there is not a good reason to stay in a dead end. As I said in my first post, if you serious about this endeavor, put friends on the back burner. Your primary concern should be your tutelage and progression! Look out for number one.

Comment

I agree with you, He trains his fighters and does the normal boxing routine with them, I feel left out, I want the training as well, there are other gyms, iv remained loyal with this gym because I have made friends in the gym. I have told some of the fighters about this issue they told me i have to go to them.
              how did you get on with the big 6.5 monster, I have sparred big guys they are hard because they try to push you with their weight
              It didn't go well. I had only just turned 15 back then, and I'm 5'7. My first reaction was, "No way." And then they told me he would probably "take it easy" on me. I fell for that one. I went into the sparring session looking to take it easy on him as well. Basically, I let that guy get easy shots on me for an entire round, confused as to why he seemed to be taking it seriously. By the second round, I began to get a bit upset, and eventually I threw a flurry on him with the same intentions. Somehow, someway, I hurt him, and he fell back against the ropes. In awe, I admired my work and got caught with an insane uppercut that he eventually threw back in desperation. My feet, literally, weren't touching the mat; that punch lifted my whole body up a couple inches in the air.

After I landed back down, something similar to an electric current went through my jaw, or at least that's how it felt. At that moment, I had two options; I could either get into a war with this guy and possibly win, with a broken jaw as a trophy, or I could fake a way out of the session. I chose the latter, my ego taking a huge hit. Ridiculously, I faked a dramatic knockdown, which other people noticed was staged. >.>

At the end of it all, it was a sparring session, and I can't honestly regret it. Had it been a real fight, then perhaps that would've made the damage worth it, but in a sparring session? Nope. He had all the advantages, and I would have learned nothing by proving I was the better boxer. The fact that someone as small as me had him in trouble was proof enough, from my point of view. Still feel rather ashamed about it, though.

In some ways, I think it was a bit of a set-up by some, taking advantage of my trust. I was getting annoyed at one of my "trainers" before all this happened. It was nothing big, but I can't help but feeling like he thought I was rejecting his attention. I guess it was supposed to teach me a lesson. They later gave my dad the excuse that I was too powerful for anybody in my age group. Blah, blah, blah. I had been knocking people down and out, but that warrants throwing a 15 year-old in with a giant? Please. Life is filled with anger and jealousy, so yeah, I think it was on purpose.

In any case, if I could re-do it, I'd outbox him, instead of just standing there. His arms were too big to deflect, but he wasn't fast. I'd like to think that he'd get a little desperate again, and I'd knock him out while out-boxing him. In any other scenario, saying that would be ridiculous, but I saw that he was hurt. He was huge, but he apparently didn't take damage well. That would give me a decent chance, despite the disadvantages. I'll never know for sure, though, which is annoying, but whatever.

That's why I said what I said. You have to protect yourself. No one can really be trusted 100%, especially in competitive situations. I, for one, saw it for what it was and switched gyms. You'll have to examine your case and see what the deal is. I hope it turns out well, and that you can at least get some good memories out of it. I did! And even the bad memory I just told is crazy enough to almost be worth it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the main reason this is nuts. The guy was also the top bodyguard for a hall-of-fame fighter. I won't say names or anything, but, can you believe that? Fighting 15 year-olds.
              Last edited by SunSpace; 02-22-2016, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Hello
                This is not to question my trainer or anything, I just wanted to ask if this was normal, I have being going to a boxing gym for a while now, I have asked my trainer to train me lots of times, I think he forgets or something lol. He is a very nice guy, One of the best trainer, I have come across, I have nothing but respect for him.
                I do not receive any training from him, I have asked him so many times, I want to spar in the ring, I think maybe he does not train me is because he thinks I am not ready, I have done pad work with him maybe 2-3 times in the 1 year thats all, I attend the gym twice a week, I really want to be coached and trained, I want to be a amateur boxer and time is ticking, I am 25 years old. I watch videos on youtube and I am self taught, I understand that is not good because I need coaching.
                I want to ask what I should do.
                The other posters gave some great advice and insight to your wondering so I wont touch to much into that. The only thing I can suggest is if you feel you are ready to spar and you are not getting the work in anywhere else, call another gym and ask them if they have anyone your size getting ready for an amateur fight. I understand you like your gym and you want to continue there but other gyms are always open to have some friendly competitive sparring against one another. Boxing is a small knit community, what you do or how you do at another gym will get around so make sure you look good and I guarantee you will be noticed more at your gym.

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
                  It didn't go well. I had only just turned 15 back then, and I'm 5'7. My first reaction was, "No way." And then they told me he would probably "take it easy" on me. I fell for that one. I went into the sparring session looking to take it easy on him as well. Basically, I let that guy get easy shots on me for an entire round, confused as to why he seemed to be taking it seriously. By the second round, I began to get a bit upset, and eventually I threw a flurry on him with the same intentions. Somehow, someway, I hurt him, and he fell back against the ropes. In awe, I admired my work and got caught with an insane uppercut that he eventually threw back in desperation. My feet, literally, weren't touching the mat; that punch lifted my whole body up a couple inches in the air.

After I landed back down, something similar to an electric current went through my jaw, or at least that's how it felt. At that moment, I had two options; I could either get into a war with this guy and possibly win, with a broken jaw as a trophy, or I could fake a way out of the session. I chose the latter, my ego taking a huge hit. Ridiculously, I faked a dramatic knockdown, which other people noticed was staged. >.>

At the end of it all, it was a sparring session, and I can't honestly regret it. Had it been a real fight, then perhaps that would've made the damage worth it, but in a sparring session? Nope. He had all the advantages, and I would have learned nothing by proving I was the better boxer. The fact that someone as small as me had him in trouble was proof enough, from my point of view. Still feel rather ashamed about it, though.

In some ways, I think it was a bit of a set-up by some, taking advantage of my trust. I was getting annoyed at one of my "trainers" before all this happened. It was nothing big, but I can't help but feeling like he thought I was rejecting his attention. I guess it was supposed to teach me a lesson. They later gave my dad the excuse that I was too powerful for anybody in my age group. Blah, blah, blah. I had been knocking people down and out, but that warrants throwing a 15 year-old in with a giant? Please. Life is filled with anger and jealousy, so yeah, I think it was on purpose.

In any case, if I could re-do it, I'd outbox him, instead of just standing there. His arms were too big to deflect, but he wasn't fast. I'd like to think that he'd get a little desperate again, and I'd knock him out while out-boxing him. In any other scenario, saying that would be ridiculous, but I saw that he was hurt. He was huge, but he apparently didn't take damage well. That would give me a decent chance, despite the disadvantages. I'll never know for sure, though, which is annoying, but whatever.

That's why I said what I said. You have to protect yourself. No one can really be trusted 100%, especially in competitive situations. I, for one, saw it for what it was and switched gyms. You'll have to examine your case and see what the deal is. I hope it turns out well, and that you can at least get some good memories out of it. I did! And even the bad memory I just told is crazy enough to almost be worth it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the main reason this is nuts. The guy was also the top bodyguard for a hall-of-fame fighter. I won't say names or anything, but, can you believe that? Fighting 15 year-olds.
                  Damn dude sounds like you really gave that overgrown **** a beating. Congrats! Do you compete?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                    Damn dude sounds like you really gave that overgrown **** a beating. Congrats! Do you compete?
                    lol Thanks, but I wouldn't call it a beating; I'm just glad I was able to at least hurt him. That alone must've been embarrassing, considering he was literally fighting a small kid. My boxing days ended when I was 17, so I don't compete. It's still remained one of those big what-ifs in my mind, though. Had I had better people around me, been guided better, I have no doubt that I could've gone far in the sport.

But, on the other hand, getting punched on the head for a living rarely ends well for any boxer. Perhaps it's a gift in disguise that I never went on with it; I was able to appreciate and learn about boxing in ways that are still both entertaining and useful to this day, without having to absorb too much damage. I guess I can't really complain. I'll always be a fan and follower of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X