No announcement yet.

Canelo needs to speak English to be star, props to Zurdo for learning English

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fidel456 View Post
    No he doesn't. They say u need to speak English to make a connection with Americans. So they can know u better. BS, it never effected Chavez SR. Or Tito Trinidad, and cotto learning English never helped his career he just stayed a star.
    Those guys weren't crossover stars selling 1m ppvs right, without coming in as B side. They mostly relied on ethnic fanbase. Also both guys way better and more destructive than Canelo of course

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
      Hectari was real big on Quillin knocking out Ggg
      I'm sure he's also ready for saunders to outbox him as well

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        Those guys weren't crossover stars selling 1m ppvs right, without coming in as B side. They mostly relied on ethnic fanbase. Also both guys way better and more destructive than Canelo of course
        "Ethnic fanbase" bingo, if u have that then u don't have to learn English. But back then they weren't selling ppvs the way they do now. The only non heavyweight selling millions was Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Lol, yea. That 275k he did on showtime is pretty damn close to eclipsing Canelo.
          I'm mostly referring to the fact that he sold 400,000 PPVs in the UK against Dillian Whyte. It's not all about the US...

I couldn't find any numbers vs Charles Martin. Yes, I'm aware of the fact that UK PPVs are cheaper, but AJ is getting more popular, and quickly.

Just think about it.

Olympic Gold (even if I think he didn't deserve it), the premier weight division in boxing (Heavyweight), Charismatic/tall/powerful build, he speaks English, and he wins all his fights by KO.

He did 400K PPVs despite having only had 16 fights. He's also only 26 years old. Canelo's been around for a while as a professional boxer. Not just that, but he's had plenty of spotlight against bigger names. Who has AJ fought that people have heard of? The fact is, he's just simply growing exponentially at a much faster rate than Canelo has. Not to mention, the whole debacle with GGG is really hurting Canelo's image.

He has all the tools to become one of the biggest boxing names in history, although I feel like he should have gone to HBO (who ****ed up letting him slide to Showtime). Now, he's branching out in the United States to become a bigger star in the, "mecca" of boxing.

Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury. That would be a big PPV event in the UK alone. Fury vs Klitschko did 450k PPV in the UK. I expect Fury vs Joshua would be just as huge.
          Last edited by UNBIASED BOXING; 06-01-2016, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Doesn't Canelo already speak a bit of English? Seems to understand it ok as well.

Why is Canelo even being compared to guys in other countries as if he's from America? Dude's pulling in 20mil viewers in Mexico. He is beyond a star in Mexico. People who say "fabricated" really have no idea how big Canelo is in Mexico. Brings in telenovela like numbers which is insane if you know anything about the culture.

Joshua has potential to be huge..he's fresh off a gold medal and just fell into a hw title and only a year older than Canelo. The UK is doing reeeally well in boxing and he's got the potential to put it over and be a massive star. And even then...would Joshua ever be as big in england as Canelo is already in Mexico at 25? I actually think Joshua could break through. Wilder too if he woud just grow a personality. Joshua can either lead the sport or be one of the leading guys/symbols of boxing

So long as he keeps winning he has the chance to put HW boxing back on the map. Canelo has GGG in range though and if he somehow pulled off that win it'll be some Canelo-mania type s hit..and he's not exactly far from that since Cotto.

Man... Sometimes it's hard to believe Canelo is still 25.
            Last edited by NearHypnos; 06-01-2016, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
              I'm mostly referring to the fact that he sold 400,000 PPVs in the UK against Dillian Whyte. It's not all about the US...

I couldn't find any numbers vs Charles Martin. Yes, I'm aware of the fact that UK PPVs are cheaper, but AJ is getting more popular, and quickly.

Just think about it.

Olympic Gold (even if I think he didn't deserve it), the premier weight division in boxing (Heavyweight), Charismatic/tall/powerful build, he speaks English, and he wins all his fights by KO.

He did 400K PPVs despite having only had 16 fights. He's also only 26 years old. Canelo's been around for a while as a professional boxer. Not just that, but he's had plenty of spotlight against bigger names. Who has AJ fought that people have heard of? The fact is, he's just simply growing exponentially at a much faster rate than Canelo has. Not to mention, the whole debacle with GGG is really hurting Canelo's image.

He has all the tools to become one of the biggest boxing names in history, although I feel like he should have gone to HBO (who ****ed up letting him slide to Showtime). Now, he's branching out in the United States to become a bigger star in the, "mecca" of boxing.

Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury. That would be a big PPV event in the UK alone. Fury vs Klitschko did 450k PPV in the UK. I expect Fury vs Joshua would be just as huge.
              You're clearly not the least bit open minded about this so I'm not going to waste a long post arguing it. You are really putting the cart before the horse though. I literally thought you were joking in your first post.

Comment

You're clearly not the least bit open minded about this so I'm not going to waste a long post arguing it. You are really putting the cart before the horse though. I literally thought you were joking in your first post.
                Let him be Redd...everyone knows you must make it in America to be a superstar -- I dont think that convicted felon can even leave his little gloomy swamp. Canelo has PPV buys coming from overseas (including the UK )USA and Mexico...but most of all he has more options at different weights you cant beat that.

Comment

He'll be speaking Chinese by the time Golovkin is done with him if they fight.

Usually i don't care if a fighter speaks English or not, it's their choice. Most English speaking people are too lazy to learn another language and expect others to speak theirs. But then in Canelo's case, he makes his money in USA and his shows are there, so learning a bit more would help when trying to promote fights.

Anyway, he's not a huge star as far as i know. In my experience, outside of hardcore boxing fans, to casuals he's just that ginger Mexican that lost to Floyd. A real star is the likes of Tyson, Ali, Floyd, Manny...guys that people who don't watch boxing that much could tell you who they are. Canelo isn't that.
                  Last edited by deathofaclown; 06-01-2016, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Canelo actually speaks decent English, he just opts not to in interviews whether he lacks confidence, doesn't wanna seem any less mexican or is worried words would get misinterpreted is anyones guess

Comment

Reminder; Canelo is already a star, in fact, the biggest in the sport right now.
                      Yeah but he would be an even bigger one if he learned English, he would sell at least a million buys on ppv if he learned english he needs to crossover

Comment

Working...
                      X