Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There will be no "percieved" great fighters left in Britain if Joe Calzaghe loses.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does an American care if Britain has any great fighters or not? We just won a gold and two bronzes at the Olympics, I think thats pretty good going.

Boxing will always persevere in Britain because we love the sport for what it is. I worry for the Americans on this board because when MMA takes over your screens in the U.S, you will have to tune into our inferior stuff over here or in Eastern Europe to get your fix.

Comment

Originally posted by timba1988 View Post
      Why does an American care if Britain has any great fighters or not? We just won a gold and two bronzes at the Olympics, I think thats pretty good going.

Boxing will always persevere in Britain because we love the sport for what it is. I worry for the Americans on this board because when MMA takes over your screens in the U.S, you will have to tune into our inferior stuff over here or in Eastern Europe to get your fix.
      Was wondering that myself mate.

Im also worried for our Yank brothers. Kelly Pavlik is their shining light and their Olympic Team was appauling. A true American great like Evander Holyfield has been quoted as saying he cant see much of a future for American boxing at the moment. A stunning fall from grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Mizzou View Post
        I see MMA taking over honestly/unfortunatley. UFC markets itself better, forces its best fighters to fight eachother, and has one beltholder per weightclass. I don't mind it and honestly its grown on me a little bit, but I like boxing much much more. Don't be surprised if MMA starts slipping across the pond to you guys, like alot of the rest of American culture crap you get on TV.
        I doubt any new sport could ever make an impact in Britain, We are a football nation, with a little bit of boxing sprinkled on the top.

Comment

Is it really that bland. I thought cricket and rugby had a big following over there?
          They do. Probably bigger than boxing. Setanta (new sports channel) are doing their best to improve boxing coverage over here but it still pales in stature to American coverage.

Bland? He meant proper football. Not crash-helmet, body-padding, rugby for girls "football" you lot play.

Comment

Is it really that bland. I thought cricket and rugby had a big following over there?
            That bland?

Four divisions of league football is all one needs to be entertained.

Rugby, especially National Rugby is huge over here, and National Cricket is also huge, but as I said, who needs those distractions when we have football and boxing.
            Last edited by BetterCallSaul; 10-13-2008, 02:40 AM.

Comment

English Premier League FTW!

Comment

Working...
              X