Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Is It So Hard For Southpaws At Heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Is It So Hard For Southpaws At Heavyweight?

There's no southpaw reign. why?

Do southpaws have a deficiency that's not talked about? especially at heavyweight?

There were couple southpaw champions, it's probably because heavyweight is not that popular any more so not many people pick it up as main sport. Big dudes are also more rare than average size dudes.

Comment

Luiz Ortiz, Chris byrd, corries sanders (RIP) and Michael Moorer was the only good one that i can think of as of recent, unless you count Audley Harrison as a good HW.

Comment

Heavyweight boxing, especially nowadays, is a division where 1 punch can change everything. The main benefit of being a southpaw is being awkward and confusing for an opponent as they're not use to facing them and use it to box to a safe decision. It works a lot of times in the lower weights but in the higher weights when 1 punch can change all, it can all come undone pretty quickly. The Wilder vs Ortiz fight is a great example.

Comment

some (major) advantages of this stance are smoothed in this weight.

Comment

There is no good reason, just chance I suspect. In fact I'd say a good heavy like Sanders, if he were dedicated to the sport, would have an advantage. Most fighters are not ready for that straight down the middle left hand, while lefties have seen that same punch from the right side their whole career.

Comment

Apart from being at one end of the bell curve of human size distribution (and hence fewer fighters, and consequently fewer different fighters), the differences between the physical abilities of the two fighters matters more at heavy than it does in the other classes. The greatest differentials will usually be size-/speed-/power-related rather than stylistic. Maybe I'm not saying it properly - there are of course natural lefties (Ortiz, Moorer) I'm not saying heavyweights aren't ever masters of those stylistic differences, just that they don't have to be as often as a welterweight might.

TLDR - southpaw stance is less of a potential advantage at heavy than in other classes IMO.

Comment

Recent champions: Charles Martin is a southpaw.

Comment

I think Usyk will be moving up soon, he's going to be a nightmare for these HW's

Comment

They're all playing basketball.

Comment

Working...
                    X