Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Marciano, Dempsey, and Louis be considered Heavyweight champs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Marciano, Dempsey, and Louis be considered Heavyweight champs?

since none of them weighed over 200?
    Nope, they were overhyped cruiserweights
    9.68%
    Yes, at the time it was the limit
    45.16%
    ur a ****head, stop trying to discredit the legends
    45.16%

Louis weighed around 205 lbs in his prime.

All of them fought 200+ lbers didn't they?

Comment

yea u got a point, however dempsey was never above 200 and neither was marciano

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
        Louis weighed around 205 lbs in his prime.

All of them fought 200+ lbers didn't they?
        they did but under the "day before" weigh in rules they would be lhw's or cruisers.

Louis could arguably be a hw though, if he lifted weights. Holyfield was only 208 and he sized up nice.

Dempsey was never as lean as he could have been, good shape maybe, but I could see him making lhw even. He was no bigger than say, Jermain Taylor.

Rocky was lean and mean at 185, cruiser weight for sure.

Comment

Both Rocco and Dempsey would be considered CW by today's standards. Jack might even be a LHW if he can make the cut, he would fight at around 185 lbs in his day. Joe Louis is a legitimate HW and one of my favorites of all time.

Comment

I remember when there were HeavyWeights, and there were Super-HeavyWeights.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              they did but under the "day before" weigh in rules they would be lhw's or cruisers.

Louis could arguably be a hw though, if he lifted weights. Holyfield was only 208 and he sized up nice.

Dempsey was never as lean as he could have been, good shape maybe, but I could see him making lhw even. He was no bigger than say, Jermain Taylor.

Rocky was lean and mean at 185, cruiser weight for sure.
              i agree entirely

louis routinely weighed over 200 lbs, he was similar in size to evander and probably would have been bigger with todays lifting etc

evander was usually 205-10 and he competed fine with the big heavyweights, older than most of them too

Comment

Originally posted by STILL DETOX View Post
                since none of them weighed over 200?

Your list is a bit short, check the record.

All you have to do is get Dempsey, Louis and Marciano training down at McDonalds, and you will have a modern superheavy.

Comment

Yes as all of them won The Heavyweight Title. Thus should be considred Heavyweight Champion, No matter what weight they were. In thier Era's they were given permission to fight at them weights.

Weights when Fighters won there Title's.
                  Rocky Marciano-184½lbs
                  Joe Louis-197¼lbs
                  Jack Dempsey-187½lbs

Comment

It is for this reason boxing needs to make a better effort to promote the cruiserweight division. Too many good fighters who naturally weigh in at cruiserweight are adding extra pounds (usually fat) to chase money in the heavyweight division. I think Cruiserweight could be very exciting if the money was there on a consistant basis.

Comment

Working...
                    X