Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did WBC reduce title fights to 12 rounds ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But now being on premium cable, they don't have to worry about commercials, so they could conceivably have 15 round fights now easily, but probably won't because they'll argue safety, plus most of these guys look winded after about 10 rounds now with all the extra muscle they pack on.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      But now being on premium cable, they don't have to worry about commercials, so they could conceivably have 15 round fights now easily, but probably won't because they'll argue safety, plus most of these guys look winded after about 10 rounds now with all the extra muscle they pack on.
      Also we have to figure that the fighters probably universally prefer less round for the same money. - We can't blame them.

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
        Give me the real reason.

Hint, it had nothing to do with the Boom Boom Mancini vs Deuk Koo Kim tragedy.
        Korean dude got killed in the ring... that why...

Boom boom Mancini...

Here you go...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ThQFPJpVtK8
        Last edited by Zaroku; 05-02-2018, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
          Also we have to figure that the fighters probably universally prefer less round for the same money. - We can't blame them.
          Good point. I wouldn't be surprised if they reduced the maximum to 10 rounds someday. Kind of surprised it hasn't happened already.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
            Korean dude got killed in the ring... that why...

Boom boom Mancini...

Here you go...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ThQFPJpVtK8
            NOT true.
            That was the EXCUSE.
            The real reason was to fit title fights in an hour of tv slot on the weekends.

Comment

NOT true.
              That was the EXCUSE.
              The real reason was to fit title fights in an hour of tv slot on the weekends.
              I guess I got it wrong... thanks... how do you know.... honestly? Back up your. Claims, because when I was a true and thought I knew things...
              Last edited by Zaroku; 05-03-2018, 04:20 AM.

Comment

And, to paraphrase Lawrence Tierney from Reservoir Dogs, "because they're FA*0ttS, that's why", like Mr. Pink.

Comment

I guess I got it wrong... thanks... how do you know.... honestly? Back up your. Claims, because when I was a true
                  Rooney Arledge had to pay local tv affiliates after the Holmes-Cobb fight went the distance.
                  He then told Sulaiman to reduce the title fights to 12 rounds so they would fit a one-hour slot.
                  The Mancini-Kim fight happened just two weeks before the Holmes-Cobb fight .
                  WBC then made the Limon-Chacon IV fight the last 15-rounder that year ( 1982 ).
                  WBC just used the Kim tragedy as the scapegoat.

Comment

Rooney Arledge had to pay local tv affiliates after the Holmes-Cobb fight went the distance.
                    He then told Sulaiman to reduce the title fights to 12 rounds so they would fit a one-hour slot.
                    The Mancini-Kim fight happened just two weeks before the Holmes-Cobb fight .
                    WBC then made the Limon-Chacon IV fight the last 15-rounder that year ( 1982 ).
                    WBC just used the Kim tragedy as the scpegoat.
                    I learn something new everyday... thanks, but when I was in Mexico... Jose Suliman, on a tv channel in Guadalajara, spoken in Spanish, said something like 15 rounds reduced to 12 was because of ring beat downs... you do speak Spanish, right... ?

I’ll look for the link.... hope I can find it...

Comment

I learn something new everyday... thanks, but when I was in Mexico... Jose Suliman, on a tv channel in Guadalajara, spoken in Spanish, said something like 15 rounds reduced to 12 was because of ring beat downs... you do speak Spanish, right... ?

I’ll look for the link.... hope I can find it...
                      We all agree that Jose Suliman probably said that, you don't need to find the interview.

We are all just speculating as to why they REALLY reduced the number of rounds to 12. No one here believes the WBC did it for safety concerns, mainly because no one here ever believes anything Jose Suliman says.

("said" - I believe the man passed away; not sure?)

Comment

Working...
                      X