Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Catch Counter from Kronk Gym?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Catch Counter from Kronk Gym?

I heard Kellerman talk about it on the Klitschko-Fury fight. Maybe I'm spelling it wrong. Maybe it's called the catching counter?

So, what is it?

I'm guessing it's just another name for the catch and shoot.

Maybe Rockin' will know.
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 11-28-2015, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Pretty straightforward. The catch and counter is when you catch with one hand and counter with the other almost simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by FLYBOY View Post
        I heard Kellerman talk about it on the Klitschko-Fury fight. Maybe I'm spelling it wrong. Maybe it's called the catching counter?

So, what is it?
        It's a move that nullifies a guys jab when he's trying to work you over with it. Keeps a guy at the end of your shots.

It is a catch and counter except all of the moves are done at once, simultaneously, quick and sharp.
        I would say that it was a Kronk thing, I've never seen nor been told of this by anybody else. I had Kronk around me for a good part of my amateur days. A great guy named Earl Smith, r.i.p, showed it to me when I was 15 or so. Earl was a trainer out of Kronk and was just an awesome guy who spent time with me showing me these little tricks.

When a guy shoots in with a jab you simply block his while at the same time stepping in sticking your jab in to his nose. It's about speed and timing....you've got to have sharp eyes to pull it off. Basically, as soon as you see him attacking with a jab, you attack by simply stepping in and putting out your jab at the same time he is throwing his. The key is for your jab to land at the same time your opponents jab hits your parrying right glove.

It'll f*** with just about any opponents rythme. Every time they throw they are quickly tagged with this move causing them to eventually abandon the jab against you. Not too many fighters that can fight with no jab, especially in the amateurs.

It's a great move.

Thank you Earl Smith rip, Kady King, Darren 'The Mongoose' Morris rip and Trouble Man Marlon Thomas for helping me out. You guys brought me to another level in that basement and I am thankful for your generosity with me way back when. These guys looked out for me. Can't mention Kronk without a shout out for Jerry Hauser rip, their pr guy, you'll never meet one like Jerry, simply a one of a kind, great guy. Long live Kronk............ Rockin'
        Last edited by Rockin'; 11-02-2023, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          It's a move that nullifies a guys jab when he's trying to work you over with it. Keeps a guy at the end of your shots.

It is a catch and counter except all of the moves are done at once, simultaneously, quick and sharp.
          I would say that it was a Kronk thing, I've never seen nor been told of this by anybody else. I had Kronk around me for a good part of my amateur days. A great guy named Earl Smith, r.i.p, showed it to me when I was 15 or so. Earl was a trainer out of Kronk and was just an awesome guy who spent time with me showing me these little tricks.

When a guy shoots in with a jab you simply block his while at the same time stepping in sticking your jab in to his nose. It's about speed and timing....you've got to have sharp eyes to pull it off. Basically, as soon as you see him attacking, you attack by simply stepping in and putting out your jab at the same time he is throwing his. The key is for your jab to land to land at the same time your opponents jab hits your parrying right glove.

It'll f*** with just about any opponents rythme. Every time they throw they are quickly tagged with this move causing them to eventually abandon the jab against you. Not too many fighters that can fight with no jab, especially in the amateurs.

It's a great move.

Thank you Earl Smith rip, Kady King, Darren 'The Mongoose' Morris rip and Trouble Man Marlon Thomas for helping me out. You guys brought me to another level in that basement and I am thankful for your generosity with me way back when. These guys looked out for me. Can't mention Kronk without a shout out for Jerry Hauser rip, their pr guy, you'll never meet one like Jerry, simply one of a kind. Long live Kronk............ Rockin'
          i learned that watching sloppy froch hahaha.
          works well on basically everyone so far..... hahaha

Comment

Trainers like Mr. Blackburn, Bill Gore and many other taught to catch or wipe and quick counter with a jab!
            The best move would be to slip by the slightest move and counter with a two handed counter but what Wlad was told to do could have changed that out come because of Furys bad habit of leaning in. Harold Letterman brought it up a few times and he will pay for that mistake, then again there may not be anyone that recognizes it!

Nothing new about anything in boxing other than calling a right handers outside or over the top right hand a hook. I never heard that expression for a traditional stance right hand. A back hand looping or outside motion is called just that. The lead hand that loops or comes in from the outside has always been refered to as a hook.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

When a guy shoots in with a jab you simply block his while at the same time stepping in sticking your jab in to his nose. It's about speed and timing....you've got to have sharp eyes to pull it off. Basically, as soon as you see him attacking, you attack by simply stepping in and putting out your jab at the same time he is throwing his. The key is for your jab to land to land at the same time your opponents jab hits your parrying right glove.
              Oh..in that case..I've used that before. Intuitively no one taught me it. Always just called it the parry jab. Works great against shorter opponents. Overall, I feel parrying is underused in boxing. Especially long parries.. the one you are describing is a short flick of a parry.. but very few guys use the full length of their arms to deflect their opponents attacking arm out of position, though Floyd is pretty adept at it.

My initial thought on what it was is putting up your high guard then firing as soon as you feel a shot hit your gloves. But that's not a designated parry..more a block with quick response than anything.

Thanks for kicking some knowledge our way.

Comment

You know that you've got the sheet down pat when you are catching hooks and countering with hooks the instant the hook touches your glove.

The right hands you must roll and then counter back, the same with hooks doe.

Locked and loaded...FIRE!!! .............Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 11-02-2023, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X