The problem I have with MMA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem I have with MMA

Why are titles changing hands so much?

Is it because everybody is so good or everybody is so bad?

I look at boxing and you look at guys like Wlad, Floyd, Rigo, Chocolatico, GGG, Andre Ward, Kovalev. I mean these guys don't get beat every other fight.

I mean the heavyweight division in UFC has been a joke. Literally every other fight you have a new champ.

The only consistent winner seems to be Jon Jones. Recently it was GSP and Silva.

I think if your fighters are the cream of the cream you should have more fighters like Jon Jones facing stern challenges and overcoming them. In UFC it doesn't seem to be the case. I don't think there is any other sport where the best get beat by huge underdogs so frequently. McGreggor, Rousey, Werdum. It just goes on and on.

Originally posted by pesticid View Post

I look at boxing and you look at guys like Wlad, Floyd, Rigo, Chocolatico, GGG, Andre Ward, Kovalev. I mean these guys don't get beat every other fight.

I mean the heavyweight division in UFC has been a joke. Literally every other fight you have a new champ.

The only consistent winner seems to be Jon Jones. Recently it was GSP and Silva.

I think if your fighters are the cream of the cream you should have more fighters like Jon Jones facing stern challenges and overcoming them. In UFC it doesn't seem to be the case. I don't think there is any other sport where the best get beat by huge underdogs so frequently. McGreggor, Rousey, Werdum. It just goes on and on.
    You compare 2 different sports

Comment

Mighty Mouse is on a streak. Cruz is on a streak. You mentioned Jones. Aldo was on a nice run. Lawler is on a good run too...

It's just the Heavyweights hit ****in hard so it's easier to be stopped, and Cain had so many injuries that he wasn't able to truly defend his belt. It's not going to stop either because if Overeem fights safe like he has been then he should be able to beat Stipe.

Comment

There is only one title in each division, first off, & in the UFC you are fighting top guys every time out. If you are primarily a boxing fan you know this never happens in boxing these days & even in the past it never really happened at the consistency it happens in the UFC. I have no doubt that if there was only one champion in boxing & he was made to fight his best challengers every time out reigns would last a lot shorter in boxing too.

Neither really. There is just more competition happen in the UFC & the lesser leagues to some degree. Plus MMA is a lot different than boxing. If you are a great boxer in MMA guys will take you on the ground. If you are great on the ground in MMA guys will sprawl & keep things standing. There is more ways to win & more ways to lose in MMA & its difficult to be at a elite level in multiple fighting styles. Or just be the best in a bunch of fighting styles.

None of these guys have fought their top 3 challengers every fight out. I think this list has more L's on it if that was the case.

Giant mfers + tiny lil gloves = not many long reigns.

There have been many longer reigns, longer reigns just aren't as long cuz you gotta fight top guys all the time. Demetrious Johnson has been 125lb champion for almost 4 years now.

There isn't ANY huge underdogs in the UFC. Go look at the lines for the UFC vs Boxing. You'll rarely see a -300 or worse title fight. In boxing you see -1200 or worse title fights all the time. Stipe was +150 dog iirc last night. You might find 6 or so +150 or closer dogs in boxing title fights all this year in notable fights. The UFC just got a more competitive setup with how they operate. Boxing is sold off of names, the UFC is sold off of the fights. Thus Boxing needs names to keep winning & the UFC needs competitive fights whoever wins. These are entirely different setups with these sports.

Comment

More variables translates into more losses ,grappling /wresting /submissions combined with striking ,including knees and elbows and kicks make it much harder to defend than just certain punches allowed under boxing rules dirty boxing which is legal in MMA drastically changed s the fight mechanics in itself along with the round and time set up..Also UFC controls the match ups so the fights are even as possible with much less mismatches like boxing has. If you made HW boxers wear 4 oz boxing gloves im pretty sure top guys would take losses here and there just like UFC where no one has defended the belt more than 2 times but mainly because MMA is way more unpredictable than the boxing rule sets,which why you see more losses .

If you get a UFC fighter who has rarely or never lost hes that good.
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 05-15-2016, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I think MMA at this point is like boxing was at the 1800´s, long way of changes to go. For example I think gloves are too small, the better fighters have less chances to adjust after getting hit, octagon seems too big and favorable to runners, first generation of trainers, etc.

Comment

Jose Aldo went almost a decade unbeaten and was closing in on Silva's title defense record. Mighty Mouse is on his way to break the record too. Ronda same story. RDA has defended his title a few times already and looks to continue, same with Lawler. etc.

HW does not represent the whole sport. tiny gloves with a lot of weight and power behind the punches make things the way they are.

Comment

HW has always been the weakest division as far as talent goes.

Comment

The only reason they change hands so much is because the champs are always fighting a legit contender..

Imagine if bradley, brook, thurman, porter, danny, khan, spence, maidana were all fighting each other on a regular basis, then the title would change hands a lot.

But greatest is really proven in mma,, guys like GSP, Silva, Aldo, jones, etc show that a truly dominant champ can happen, and same thing for boxing,,, Floyd, wlad, calzaghe, hopkins would have been long term champs as well...

Comment

It's because the best fighters are always fighting each other and guys aren't allowed to duck their best competition, like in boxing. If they do, they either leave for another promotion or get suspended, like when Tito Ortiz wouldn't fight Chuck Liddell when Liddell was the #1 contender at light heavy, so Ortiz was stripped and Chuck fought Randy Couture. After losing to Couture, it took him a couple of more fights to get another shot and finally win the belt. It's because, as long as they're in the same promotion, you don't get this BS, like Sugar Ray Leonard waiting 3 years too long to finally fight Hagler or Mayweather waiting 5 years to finally fight Pacquiao after making up some excuse about testing. Also, drug testing seems to be slowly improving in the UFC, so the Roid and TRT freaks aren't staying on top as long, now that they're off the stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X