No announcement yet.

Per ESPN Canelo vs Jacobs generated more then 48M in subscriptions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    They've had 1 PPV quality fight. Let's not overexaggerate. The majority of the months have been lackluster. The middle of April until June 1st is the best run they've had. During the same period they've both existed ESPN plus has put on more and better quality boxing.
    1 - past performance is irrelevant - people are starting to pay in to DAZN now because they feel the pay off is worth it. We will see if that pays off. But I certainly feel like $100 for a year's worth of good fights, and probably a few great fights, is a good deal. There are quite a few fighters I want to see on that platform. Not a ton on ESPN or Fox.

2 - as you mentioned ESPN+ is cheaper monthly and has more content. I bought it a while ago for Serie A games and other things. But DAZN doesn't charge extra for the best fights. You can argue they will, but right now they don't. Right now it is a good deal. We will see how it goes.

I can't think of one ESPN+ fight I have wanted to watch. If there are some I have forgotten them.

But I wanted Canelo/Jacobs, the Usyk fight, Andrade Sulecki, wanted to at least tune in to GGG to see how that goes. Probably see how Joshua looks. That's about $50 of value in under 2 months.

Comment

• Canelo 30 million; DJ 16 million.
      Leaves 4 million on the table while you talk about it

Comment

• $80 for Khan v Crawford here in Canada. See how that turned out. There’s nothing like seeing a big fight live in person, but u get gouged all weekend long in Vegas. I wonder if these days all hotel rooms are jacked up for cinco de mayo weekend no matter how early u book? I’m fine with anything that seems to make most fans happy. The more popular DAZN gets I still expect prices to go up though. Companies don’t strive for monopolies to reduce costs to its customers. But a good reset of the way things used to be hopefully works out for us fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
          No doubt - I think the competition with PBC and ESPN+ is healthy in a way because they all have to compete with one another now, so they have to compete on cost and quality.

I am not really hyping up DAZN as much as I am any streaming service that would eliminate the PPV model. For me personally the PPV model is just a big inhibitor in watching the fights that I really want to see. Would have enjoyed GGG Canelo 2, Kov Ward 2, Spence Garcia, Fury Wilder etc, but bought none of those because the price wasn't worth it.

If a service can come out and provide those big fights for a fraction of the cost, I would love that; if it is DAZN or not is not important.

I would really love to see different streaming platforms competing with each other. I like ESPN+ as well but the downside for them is they are charging more for the PPV fights.

Personally I agree with you that the opinion of DAZN seems to be very tribal and it reminds me of the conversation around certain fighters. Some people seem insistent on hating on it for whatever reason, that any valid criticism of it falls flat. And truthfully there is not a whole lot to hate on DAZN (or some of your other main targets Curt :0) right now.
          i hear you...but what im saying is this

i see people here, mostly aj/dazn fans, saying things like "the americans want u to pay 90 bucks for a fight while DAZN wants you to pay 10 bucks...and theyre rooting for the higher price they are so dumb"

as motorcity pointed out....DAZN has had one ppv caliber fight so far...just one....lets see how many they continue to do at such a bargain price.....because sooner or later theyre going to be leaving money on the table

you act as if the other competition is rife with ppvs now...hbo no longer is in the game....the only ppps espn is doing is crawford.....only ppvs pbc is doing is wilder in a big fight and spence in a big fight vs a mexican...its not like these guys are nailing you with ppv after ppv either......

this whole "charity for the poor boxing fan" thing i dont believe can last forever....if it could someone would have been doing it already....to me its them dangling bait....reeling some people in....yeah i get it..it has appeal...and if they keep it this way it could probably do well....they needed subscriptions fast....lets see what they do once things settle in

you can get showtime and fox sports on their own for about the same amount of money right now...

Comment

• So what you guys are trying to say is that DAZN making noise that everyone talking about it... but a month before, “wah wah wah why u talking about DAZN?!”

WAR DAZN

Comment

• Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
              i hear you...but what im saying is this

i see people here, mostly aj/dazn fans, saying things like "the americans want u to pay 90 bucks for a fight while DAZN wants you to pay 10 bucks...and theyre rooting for the higher price they are so dumb"

as motorcity pointed out....DAZN has had one ppv caliber fight so far...just one....lets see how many they continue to do at such a bargain price.....because sooner or later theyre going to be leaving money on the table

you act as if the other competition is rife with ppvs now...hbo no longer is in the game....the only ppps espn is doing is crawford.....only ppvs pbc is doing is wilder in a big fight and spence in a big fight vs a mexican...its not like these guys are nailing you with ppv after ppv either......

this whole "charity for the poor boxing fan" thing i dont believe can last forever....if it could someone would have been doing it already....to me its them dangling bait....reeling some people in....yeah i get it..it has appeal...and if they keep it this way it could probably do well....they needed subscriptions fast....lets see what they do once things settle in

you can get showtime and fox sports on their own for about the same amount of money right now...
              Very possible about it being dangling bait - I can only speak for myself but if the monthly price goes up any and the quality doesn't, I will most likely not be an annual member. And if they start charging extra for big fights I will have to re-evaluate as well.

It is still nice to have an option to pay $20-$30 for a big fight vs the usual PPV price though. We will see how it all unfolds. I never have really had Showtime or HBO. Part of the problem with those models for me is they always charge PPV for the big fights, so you are paying the annual fee for the lower level fights. I just hate that model, feel like I'm getting ripped off.

So yeah I'm not really shilling for DAZN as much as I am hoping someone can come in and pull off what they are doing right now, and eliminate the high priced PPV model. If Fox comes out with a $6 monthly app and I get to watch all those guys at WW fight with no PPVs, that would be great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
                $80 for Khan v Crawford here in Canada. See how that turned out. There’s nothing like seeing a big fight live in person, but u get gouged all weekend long in Vegas. I wonder if these days all hotel rooms are jacked up for cinco de mayo weekend no matter how early u book? I’m fine with anything that seems to make most fans happy. The more popular DAZN gets I still expect prices to go up though. Companies don’t strive for monopolies to reduce costs to its customers. But a good reset of the way things used to be hopefully works out for us fans.
                Good point - I think we should all be happy that DAZN is coming on to the scene and providing some competition now to the existing system, which is lowering our costs in a way, and hopefully that will continue.

But I think wanting DAZN to take over is a bit of a dangerous proposition. Even if they do become somewhat of a monopoly they will always have to watch those prices in a way though. It's not like watching boxing is the only entertainment option we have. If they price it too high, even if they have all the talent, people will just stream it illegally or watch it online the next day.

Comment

I was roughly averaging the average monthly cost of the annual purchase($9) with the one month cost ($20). Assuming the subs were roughly 50/50 of monthly buys and annual buys.

I realize they are using the whole $100 now towards the revenue numbers for this month. A little slick math I think but they are genuinely excited by the numbers so that's a good thing imo.

It's just every month they aren't going to get all those annual buys they got this month from Canelo.
                  Bold is key, as is cancellation numbers/attrition/turnover.

I know for me, I booked a month for $20, looked at the calendar out to July and wasn't impressed at all. The WBSS would be the last I get, then I'd let it lapse.

SO basically, if they can only give me quality once a quarter, that's $80 and still less than the $99. If the third or fourth quarter turns out to be garbage, that's $60 and still more worth it.

It might only be a few dollars, but I have a BIG issue paying for a year of something I don't use for a year. I only did the Nintendo Switch yearly for the cloud saves, otherwise it'd be the same thing. Cloud saves are a constant value. I don't yet see constant value out of DAZN.

Comment

Very possible about it being dangling bait - I can only speak for myself but if the monthly price goes up any and the quality doesn't, I will most likely not be an annual member. And if they start charging extra for big fights I will have to re-evaluate as well.

It is still nice to have an option to pay $20-$30 for a big fight vs the usual PPV price though. We will see how it all unfolds. I never have really had Showtime or HBO. Part of the problem with those models for me is they always charge PPV for the big fights, so you are paying the annual fee for the lower level fights. I just hate that model, feel like I'm getting ripped off.

So yeah I'm not really shilling for DAZN as much as I am hoping someone can come in and pull off what they are doing right now, and eliminate the high priced PPV model. If Fox comes out with a $6 monthly app and I get to watch all those guys at WW fight with no PPVs, that would be great.
                    the amount of ppv fights showtime and hbo(were doing) were very mininal over the last few years

you basically had canelo on ppv...and one time they experimented with golovkin because they invested in him and wanted to see where they were at...then you had kovalev/ward which should have been successful(but because the general US public is dumb and dont know what is what)....overall there were very few

and with hbo/sho you also get shows and movies and good docs

espn went app but still did ppv when it came to crawford

espn and pbc will still go ppv when it calls for it...they arent going to just stop cause some other company is trying to eliminate it...emphasis on the "try"...it may only be a matter of time before DAZN just becomes one of them

Comment

• Originally posted by revelated View Post
                      Bold is key, as is cancellation numbers/attrition/turnover.

I know for me, I booked a month for $20, looked at the calendar out to July and wasn't impressed at all. The WBSS would be the last I get, then I'd let it lapse.

SO basically, if they can only give me quality once a quarter, that's $80 and still less than the $99. If the third or fourth quarter turns out to be garbage, that's $60 and still more worth it.

It might only be a few dollars, but I have a BIG issue paying for a year of something I don't use for a year. I only did the Nintendo Switch yearly for the cloud saves, otherwise it'd be the same thing. Cloud saves are a constant value. I don't yet see constant value out of DAZN.
                      I hear ya on the constant value - that is certainly going to be up in the air for me. I didn't think I would buy DAZN until GGG fought Canelo again or maybe Andrade. But I bit the bullet and popped for the annual price on the night of the Canelo Jacobs fight.

Didn't realize it at the time, but I was excited to get an Usyk fight and Andrade Sulecki in the next month or so, and also to get the GGG fight to see how he is looking. And then a Joshua fight and also the WBSS as you mentioned. All those fights/replays basically in a one-two month period.

Obviously Usyk got cancelled for now so that puts a damper on things. But I guess I'll see how valuable I find it in the coming months and year. I would say that Canelo-Jacobs fight was worth about $15 to me. Andrade-Sulecki $10 and a GGG fight $10 (for me).

That's a pretty solid return for 2 months worth of fights, but as you said they may end up having some pretty bare months (especially depending on someone's preference for a fighter/fighters). So it will be interesting to see how valuable I find it.

Comment

Working...
                      X