No announcement yet.

All time Top 5 super middleweights in history, PBC broadcast

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Once you move to 160 the next option is 175 to me. You don't move up only 8 pounds from 160! These "junior" or "super" classes were for young fighter who were matureing into their weight classes. Promoters have used them to add more titles to what used to be a stepping stone weight classes and fool the public once again.

168 to me is a Lightheavy weight, between 160 and 175 is a light heavy!!!
    Call it light light heavy but this junior division is just BS!!!!
    How does 168 to 175 a 7 pound difference mean a thing when the spread between the lesser weights is more (8 pounds between middle and super middle) makes no sense)
    Ray
    As it sits, maybe you are right.

The thing is, though, I see nothing sacred about those particular weights we use. It is not like referring to the constitution and the founding fathers or something, to me. They are just arbitrary demarcations not really based on science but likely some kind of rough guess by a commission using pseudo science at best.

That said, I would not oppose a complete reorganization of weights and the titles they represent. To say that men weighing over 175 are heavyweights might have worked in the past when heavyweight champs almost always weighed less than 200, but it makes no practical sense now.

The only thing sacred about the weights and names we use is that they have been in use for a long time. The names of the dvisions and tradition are to blame for the meager reputation of some divisions.

The name of the lightheavyweight division should certainly be changed, since it is now a complete misnomer. That name now belongs to the cruiserweights, if it belongs to any division.

Some things change in sports. They are always painful at first. It was painful to many that there is no mile race in the Olympics anymore, but they got over it and the sport went on. I hated it when championship fights went from fifteen to twelve rounds, and I cannot say I am completely over that bitterness even today.

The changes I propose are less drastic than those above. First, I want every division between a tradtional division referred to as "junior" not "super."

The lightheavyweight dvision will have to become the "laurelweights," or something similar, and the supermiddleweights become the juniorlaurels.

The cruiserweights become the junior heavyweights, then come the heavyweights. It might even be a good idea at this point in a world of steroid muscle that will probably not go away, to implement a super heavyweight division for giants and see how often they are knocked off by challengers from below.

Comment

Jones ain't a top 3 SMW. His stretch was in Middleweight and Light Heavy. Leonard's draw with Hearns and rubber match with Duran trumps anything he achieved at that weight.

This crop of Super Middle weights are the best. Ward first Froch second then in my opinion who ever after.

Comment

Super Middle should be a warm up for Light Heavy. One thing that has confused me is Ward winning Gold at Light Heavy but fighting at SMW.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
          Jones ain't a top 3 SMW. His stretch was in Middleweight and Light Heavy. Leonard's draw with Hearns and rubber match with Duran trumps anything he achieved at that weight.

This crop of Super Middle weights are the best. Ward first Froch second then in my opinion who ever after.
          Lmao... Roy jones "stretch" was at middleweight...,

Name the guys he defended the mw belt against??

You do realize he beat undefeated james toney for the SMW title.. Roy's best win, and much better than beating an unknown hopkins for a vacant belt

Studentofdagame needs to go back to school...

In no way shape or form was Leonard's run at 168 even close to roy beating toney
          Last edited by Sugar Adam Ali; 04-30-2015, 10:20 PM.

Comment

A portion of his career was spent campaigning in the Middleweight division. I'm not talking about his run as a "champion". He beat Jones Toney then proceeded to beat who exactly at Super Middle?

Comment

A draw with Hearns and a win over Duran at Super Middle washed up or not isn't better than a win over James Toney? Wow!

Comment

A draw with Hearns and a win over Duran at Super Middle washed up or not isn't better than a win over James Toney? Wow!
                Yes it was 44-0 prime toney top five p4p is way better than a lucky draw over Hearns and outpointing ancient duran

Comment

A portion of his career was spent campaigning in the Middleweight division. I'm not talking about his run as a "champion". He beat Jones Toney then proceeded to beat who exactly at Super Middle?
                  Like the portion where jones didn't fight anyone... 168 run was much better than 160 run...

Go back to school, student

Comment

They are basing it solely on work at 168 you mentioned. A Draw vs Hearns lucky or not and a Win vs Duran, a rubber match from the Fabulous 4 Trilogies is better than a win vs Top 5 P4P at the time Toney.

Comment

They are basing it solely on work at 168 you mentioned. A Draw vs Hearns lucky or not and a Win vs Duran, a rubber match from the Fabulous 4 Trilogies is better than a win vs Top 5 P4P at the time Toney.
                      Lmao.... No it's not...

Comment

Working...
                      X