Holding off aggressive sparring partners

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ubiquitouso View Post
    Hello,

I'm relatively new to sparring (and boxing in general), I've been training for a little over a year, and in that time I've learned that the style that seems to work best for me is being an outboxer. I'm 6ft 160lbs and I get told often that I have long arms, so naturally I like to stay out of my opponents reach then move in with the jab and try to land a right cross (and if I can then I'll throw a combo).

My issue is that when I'm fighting on the outside and peppering my opponents with my jab/straight right I'm not sure how to handle a pressure fighter in a sparring situation. I know that I should be lining them up for a straight right hand when they charge in, but since its sparring I don't want to hurt them too badly, so I end up throwing a fast right hand without any power and quickly backing off to get out of range, but then I end up getting caught in the corner, and usually I'm off balance because I like to be on my toes and I find it hard to push back against an aggressive opponent when my footing isn't grounded.

Any advice for how I can handle these sparring situations better? Should I practice to be more grounded when sparring and only be light on my feet when I'm going for a long stiff jab and right hand, then immediately go back to lowering my centre of gravity and having a good strong base?
    Respect is key here. If a pressure guy doesn't have anything to respect, he's going to come in the kitchen and cause all kinda problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Offic.Scorecard View Post
      Right after throwning, the moment, let's say you threw a right hand, push with your opposite, left foot, off the ground, weave to your right and get outside. If you finished your combo with your left hand you do the same and move to the left. This way you aren't turning around the ropes, but around your opponent. Pacquiao for example, is great at doing it.
      Another thing Pac is a master at, is the in-out dash. He can jab, dash out, dash in, and then either jab cross, or just cross, but he can dart in with that power . Dangerous

Comment

I had the same "problem" in the beginning. My reach/jab and endurance are my strongest assets, so I learned to work on that and develop better footwork. You can use a check hook for example if they are coming forward (left hook and pivot away at the same time) or a right uppercut also works often. Practise lateral movement and pivots to move away and stay out of reach. If not possible you also "clinch" and lean on them shortly (if you are the taller figther). Also practise feints and vary a lot, since your opponent will try to time your jab/cross. And with a stiff jab you can in principle always keep them at bay if you have a reach advantage. The jab is yout best friend! (although not many people master it...).

Comment

Working...
        X