Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardest puncher in the heavy weight division history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me it's a toss up between Foreman and Shavers.

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
      Foreman.
      He stopped Frazier and Chuvalo.
      Need more proof?

Sometimes people paint Foreman as a dumb brute but when he fought iron chinned chuvalo, he went to the body a lot and didnt just head hunt like a lot of power punchers do. It hurts just watching poor chuvalo curled up in the corner taking those shots to the ribs.

Comment

It’s never mentioned as it “hidden” by the camera angle but watch Foreman vs Lyle. After Lyle is knocked down the first time, gets up, and as Foreman walks towards him to resume fighting look at that Herculean left hook to the body Foreman hits him with. With George’s incredible power in general that had to be one of the hardest body blows in boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
          Sometimes people paint Foreman as a dumb brute but when he fought iron chinned chuvalo, he went to the body a lot and didnt just head hunt like a lot of power punchers do. It hurts just watching poor chuvalo curled up in the corner taking those shots to the ribs.
          Ali pissed blood like no other time after fighting George according to Dr Pacheco.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
            I also find it remarkable how few people mention that Foreman was "laced up" mentored by Sonny Liston. Liston, who could not read or write, compensated with incredible physical intelligence. while its a hard picture to have in one's mind, Liston was very technical and precise about his methods, including stepping a certain way, cutting the ring off a certain way, etc.
            So George got an Ivy league boxing education so to speak lol.

Heres an interesting aside: If one watches Dempsey, and Tyson who studied Dempsey's methods, one technique they use is when the opponent turns away from a hard punch, they will pivot, stepping around to the position where the guy is heading to avoid the shot...waiting there with a punch. So they move around the opponent to the next position ln a semi-circle.

Liston and Foreman do something entirely opposite. When they catch the guy they take both hands and turn the opponent into the next punch. So instead of them moving into position, they move the guy into the desired position.

Comment

Interesting observation. I always admired Dempsey’s hook. When you look at the blows in the 7th round vs Sharkey and Tunney 2. So short fast and especially if you look at the hook that brought Tunney down Dempsey literally throws the weight of his body behind the blow. AND THEN is so quick he is able to land three or four blows before Tunney hits the canvas. Awe inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                Interesting observation. I always admired Dempsey’s hook. When you look at the blows in the 7th round vs Sharkey and Tunney 2. So short fast and especially if you look at the hook that brought Tunney down Dempsey literally throws the weight of his body behind the blow. AND THEN is so quick he is able to land three or four blows before Tunney hits the canvas. Awe inspiring.
                Perhaps equally amazing is that Dempsey wrote very clear information about how he punched. he understood what he was doing so well he could teach others. His work on punching is phenominal.

Comment

Heavy hurts.

Comment

George Foreman

Mike Tyson

Deontay Wilder

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                      Only one fighter scared me in terms of punching power. I watched Foreman train in the mid 70’s. He hit a 300 pound heavy bag like it was nothing. The sound of his blows were thunderous off that bag. I weigh about the same as prime Foreman and have done lots of work on standard heavy bags. Seriously the one time I tried hitting a 300 pound bag I could not move it (barely) and after a few blows my shoulders felt as if they were dislocated! Anyway I’ve watched Ali, Frazier, Shavers and Tyson in training and none compare with what I saw that day watching George. Most were faster than Foreman but none offered his raw power.
                      I remember watching videos of Big George as a kid, blown away by his strength and size, thinking he was just so damn big. I was recently watching his fight with Ron Lyle and they showed his tale of the tape, and that's when his power really got to me like "whoa, I'm the same height as George, same arm measurements, I have the longer reach...but this guy hits like a bloody sledgehammer.

Comment

Working...
                      X