Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workouts for the weaklings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop telling the guy to get to a gym, it's obviously the best thing to do but he said he has no access to any gym.

As for the op, weaklings and going pro don't mix together, going pro is not something you can do over night.

First thing you should do is push ups, sit ups, dips and possibly pull ups anytime you can.

At the beginning you might just be able to do 10 or 20 push ups, maybe less. But it's ok, do what you can. If the day after you are sore, take a day off from those and do it again when you feel less sore.

Also jogging will help you build your cardio a lot, once again, start slowly. If you can only run for 30 seconds, run for 30 seconds, then walk a bit, run again, ect.

As far as technique goes, going to the gym would be ideal because trainers will keep you away from bad habits. But if you want to learn some basics check this youtube channel out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/billiardjay#p/u

If you check the older videos there are TONS of boxing instructional videos, you could definitely learn a good lot from that.

The stuff you learn from that, you use on the heavybag and when you shadowbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
      Stop telling the guy to get to a gym, it's obviously the best thing to do but he said he has no access to any gym.

As for the op, weaklings and going pro don't mix together, going pro is not something you can do over night.

First thing you should do is push ups, sit ups, dips and possibly pull ups anytime you can.

At the beginning you might just be able to do 10 or 20 push ups, maybe less. But it's ok, do what you can. If the day after you are sore, take a day off from those and do it again when you feel less sore.

Also jogging will help you build your cardio a lot, once again, start slowly. If you can only run for 30 seconds, run for 30 seconds, then walk a bit, run again, ect.

As far as technique goes, going to the gym would be ideal because trainers will keep you away from bad habits. But if you want to learn some basics check this youtube channel out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/billiardjay#p/u

If you check the older videos there are TONS of boxing instructional videos, you could definitely learn a good lot from that.

The stuff you learn from that, you use on the heavybag and when you shadowbox.
      Because all boxers learn their basics online!
      Just try to find a good gym, where do you live by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
        Also check with your city, theres a crazy drunk in every town that was a golden gloves boxer at one point.
        Hahaha

Well like everyone else said, you won't make real progress until you get yourself to a gym. I'd be careful about going too hard on real boxing techniques on your own lest you develop a million bad habits. If you really want to start on your own though, nothing's stopping you from filming it and putting it out there for advice, sift through the haters and there would probably be some helpful stuff.

Above all I'd just work on your fitness though. If you gas out like you said you do I'd advise you to work on that before you go talk to a trainer regardless. For that it's pretty simple, and I'd probably just be repeating what others have said. I'd really focus on pull/chinups and different variations of them. Don't under-estimate pushups (and variations of them...) despite being pedestrian they're quite useful. There's about a million and one ab exercises online- check them out. Do bodyweight squats, perhaps even constantly for the length of boxing rounds. And finally, run. If you can't run 100m without falling over, no one will take you seriously no matter how hard you say you're willing to try. And quite frankly, if you can't push yourself at least for a mile or two, you're probably not actually willing to push yourself all that hard. A fight may only be ~10min, but most fighters train 2-3 hours (in the evenings)- hard. You need that endurance and there's only one, ****ty way to get it- busting your balls.

Being in crazy good shape doesn't make a fighter, but it's a good start. In a year's time you'll hopefully find a gym in Florida. Oh, and 145lbs for a 6 foot 16 year old isn't really that skinny. You have the frame for some muscle- just gotta work at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yael The Great View Post
          Because all boxers learn their basics online!
          Just try to find a good gym, where do you live by the way.

Did you even read my post? I said that finding a gym is the best thing, but he said there are no gym close to where he lives.

So checking out some instructional videos > Doing nothing.

Comment

Well if you have no gym access right now, start getting in shape and building up your strength. Start doing sprints, jogging, swimming, bodyweight exercise etc - good thing is they're all free! (well, swimming may not be).

Also, no one has mentioned this yet oddly enough, get a book/go online and start shadow boxing. Shadowboxing is one of the most overlooked aspects of training imo and again its free. Start doing it and dont stop!

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
              Did you even read my post? I said that finding a gym is the best thing, but he said there are no gym close to where he lives.

So checking out some instructional videos > Doing nothing.
              Doing Nothing> insructional videos
              Unless he finds the most comprehensive video there is, he is bound to do something wrong and have bad technique.

Comment

Alright, so I should do some running, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and shadow boxing. All right!

Um, how do you shadow box? It just looks like everyone who does it are just punching all over the place...

Comment

Originally posted by The Stretch View Post
                  Alright, so I should do some running, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and shadow boxing. All right!

Um, how do you shadow box? It just looks like everyone who does it are just punching all over the place...
                  You should do all those exercises and you should find a gym. That is how you would learn how to properly box and shadow box. I'm sorry, but I doubt you have NO gyms within a 50 mile radius, that is a large radius. By the way where do you live.

Comment

You said your moving to florida, so join a local gym (not boxing since there are none near you) lift some weights, gain some muscle, get good workouts in and start a good diet and then when you get to florida join a boxing gym there.

Im assuming that there is at least a regular gym near if there isnt just start running as much as you can and get used to a good diet.
                    Last edited by Danny Gunz; 07-07-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I live out in the country in the state of ohio, WAY out in the country. There are only small towns around here, and none of them have a boxing gym.

Comment

Working...
                      X