No announcement yet.

any use in fist pushups?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any use in fist pushups?

for conditioning the fists and wrists maybe?..

It's closer to punching form and helps you stabilise the muscles used in a good hard dig! You will notice it does help support your wrist, as the muscles around there and the forearms become stronger so your punches are more solid on impact.You get less sloppiness into the execution. Increase your press up output until you reach around 1000 a day. It might take you upto a year.

Comment

I would think they are OK,for the reasons stated before.This exercise is good for conditioning the muscles involved during the impact of a punch.However like the bench press they can overdevelop the scapular muscles.

A heavy bench presser might find,when they are punching, that their arm is pulled forward,by their overdeveloped scapular muscles, in a straight line.Hence the danger of what Emmanuel Steward called "punching in a groove".

So make normal,close grip or one arm palm push-ups as the mainstay of your routine and fist push ups as a essenital assistance exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Arka View Post
        I would think they are OK,for the reasons stated before.This exercise is good for conditioning the muscles involved during the impact of a punch.However like the bench press they can overdevelop the scapular muscles.

A heavy bench presser might find,when they are punching, that their arm is pulled forward,by their overdeveloped scapular muscles, in a straight line.Hence the danger of what Emmanuel Steward called "punching in a groove".

So make normal,close grip or one arm palm push-ups as the mainstay of your routine and fist push ups as a essenital assistance exercise.
        If you Bench properly It usually increases your muscle mass more than alot of other exercises out there. I had noticably become slower in the gym hitting the pads and the speedbag because of heavy weights training

Comment

They're good for the wrists stability and for a better range of motion in the pushup (since you can lower yourself deeper). They'll build up the bones in your hand too. Down the road knuckle pushups could save you a broken hand.

Comment

All the reasons above, and they're just harder, so they work you more.

However, if you do them on carpet, they'll just split your knuckles open. The knuckles on my left hand are all cut up from knuckle pushups.

Comment

Originally posted by Arka View Post

That might be a problem caused by doing weights but it would be very unlikely for someone to have get that problem from any form of press ups. They condition you and don't make your muscles huge, unless of course you add weight! I've been doing them daily for a few years now and if anything I have become leaner and smaller around them areas rather than overdeveloped. The stamina you get is great, and your punch output will be brilliant. Press ups on the knuckles are as essential as roadwork.
              Last edited by JulioCesaChavez; 11-13-2008, 02:10 AM.

Comment

aight, appreciate the info fellas

Comment

Working...
                X