Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historian Monte Cox: Floyd no top 10 welter. No ATG.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To say Floyd Mayweather isn't a Top 10 WW is fine.

To say Floyd Mayweather isn't an ATG boxer is legitimately one of the stupidest things a human being could say.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      If you read my 1st post in this thread, I make clear I have no issue with Cox argument other than the falsehoods he uses to reach his decision. Same thing a number of posters indicated, whether they like Floyd or not.

In that same post, I also made clear that if you make the case against Floyd using facts, fine because it makes sense that boxers that spent more of their career at ww would rank higher than Floyd who fought only 11 times at ww.

This all comes down to credibility of the person making the point. Cox is a respected historian but he used incorrect information to reach his conclusion. That is why so many in this thread question his point.

Further, Cox point, made in 2012, doesn’t stand the test of time. Now when you assess things it’s clear most think floyd is at least a top 10 ww.
      - -Po'Boy weren't never fighter of his 3 decades of boxing like Manny and Roy were.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        If you read my 1st post in this thread, I make clear I have no issue with Cox argument other than the falsehoods he uses to reach his decision. Same thing a number of posters indicated, whether they like Floyd or not.

In that same post, I also made clear that if you make the case against Floyd using facts, fine because it makes sense that boxers that spent more of their career at ww would rank higher than Floyd who fought only 11 times at ww.

This all comes down to credibility of the person making the point. Cox is a respected historian but he used incorrect information to reach his conclusion. That is why so many in this thread question his point.

Further, Cox point, made in 2012, doesn’t stand the test of time. Now when you assess things it’s clear most think floyd is at least a top 10 ww.
        Just like I thought.

He isn't on the "it's the other guys fault; they were ducking Floyd" squad, so he's gotta be a lying, hating idiot. We get it.

Falsehoods. Ha. That's real rich.

So even if you throw out him claiming that Floyd stalled certain guys out, he still had ten guys he could put in front of Floyd at ww, strictly on the fact that they beat far more prime guys than Floyd. From 2012 to now guess what, that number did not change unless you want to count a prime Ortiz, Guerrero, or Maidana. All-time greats in nobody's book.

It's obvious that this guy is of the opinion that Floyd, despite all of the "facts" and "falsehoods" presented, stalled certain guys out, and in the process, lessoned the weight his resume carries, and there is a large community that shares the same sentiment, and you Floyd Boys just can't live with yourselves.

Repeat after me. Floyd was the duckee, and also the ducker. Nobody cares. He beat no all-time great ww's in their prime, and it's ok. Life goes on.
        Last edited by djtmal; 11-14-2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
          Floyd didn’t do all that much at lightweight.

He’s unquestionably a top 10 Welterweight though. Whether based on resume, opposition, longevity, skill level etc. I can say beyond any reasonable doubt Mayweather is a top 10 welterweight.
          You are entitled to that opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
            without a doubt mayweather's team [haymon] waited for pacquiao to slow down. they did it for money.

doesn't mean he's not an all time great, because he is. monte cox needs a kick in the face and that's obvious. but don't act like floyd mayweather was bangingin down doors to fight manny pacquiao. he fought lesser fighters, gladly i might add, for hugely inflated purses. so did pacquiao.

it's called "building a fight." guys do it all the time. they box for money. there's really no case of it working better for both parties. manny fought algieri, brandon rios, etc for HUGELY inflated purses. floyd did the same thing, tacked an extra zero on there for 5+ years fighting victor ortiz, robert guerrero, basically antbody who could beat andre berto
            They took a page out of the Sugar Ray/Hagler playbook for sure. Only this was worse imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by djtmal View Post
              You are entitled to that opinion.
              On what basis would you disagree?

What doesn’t measure up?

Resume?

Accomplishment?

Skill set?

Opposition?

Longevity?

Comment

What doesn’t measure up?

Resume?

Accomplishment?

Skill set?

Opposition?

Longevity?
                - -Nah, it's the sissy factor with TUE 50-0 never cleaning up boxing, but rather cleaning boxing out in the Suck of the Centuries award, the first ever!

Comment

• he unified with maidiana and manny. floyd is definitely top ten at 147 mosley, pac,marquez were all champions when floyd beast them.

Comment

What doesn’t measure up?

Resume?

Accomplishment?

Skill set?

Opposition?

Longevity?
                    Me personally I would give him eight thru ten but it's really about what could have been had he got the better ww's in the ring in their prime.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      To say Floyd Mayweather isn't a Top 10 WW is fine.

To say Floyd Mayweather isn't an ATG boxer is legitimately one of the stupidest things a human being could say.
                      What do you think to Armstrong not being on there and not even getting a mention ?

Comment

Working...
                      X