Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who hits harder; McGregor or Robert Guerrero?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I'd say out of Floyd's last 12 fights he's the only one that's arguable.

Oscar
    Hatton
    Marquez
    Mosley
    Ortiz
    Cotto
    Guerrero
    Canelo
    Maidana x2
    Pacquaio
    Berto

Some people seem to be of the opinion that McGregor is a big puncher. I've seen nothing to suggest that but I suppose it's an interesting argument.

Does he hit harder than any of those? As I said only one I think is possibly arguable is Guerrero. But I would still say Ghost to be honest.
    I thought that boxing gloves make your hands heavier!? Dana said a long time ago, that boxers keep dying because in MMA they punch with small gloves so its moslty all knuckle. But in boxing, we punch with allot of weight due to the gloves being bigger and heavier. Now maybe the padding may SOFTEN the blow, but not really make it less heavy. Just make it not hurt as much when it lands

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
      It is not about power as in heavy hands and raw strength..Distance,timing both are hard to gauge on the elite level..Balance is also key and when and where you land the punch you want to land...Like in the 1st Kovalev-Ward fight..Kovalev landed the perfect punch as far as timing but he did not turn his punch correctly or land it as accurately as he should have
      I understand.

But who has the heavier hands?

Comment

That's the thing. We have no idea if McGregor's power in MMA (which is above average not elite) will translate to boxing. It might, but probably not.

He is not a 1 punch KO artist with 4oz gloves, watch his KOs, he does knock guys down with 1 shot, but need to finish them with punches on the ground. In boxing all of his MMA KOs would have been given an 8 count and allowed to fight on. It's not like he's turning guys lights out standing up, he's not.

Comment

Oscar
          Hatton
          Marquez
          Mosley
          Ortiz
          Cotto
          Guerrero
          Canelo
          Maidana x2
          Pacquaio
          Berto

Some people seem to be of the opinion that McGregor is a big puncher. I've seen nothing to suggest that but I suppose it's an interesting argument.

Does he hit harder than any of those? As I said only one I think is possibly arguable is Guerrero. But I would still say Ghost to be honest.
          I'll let you know once we count how many fights McGregor had wearing 8oz or 10oz gloves. Mayweather would be a monster if he was wearing 4oz gloves.

Comment

Conor times these UFC guys coming in. You gotta remember these guys are primarly wrestlers/Jiu jitsu experts, not strikers. These guys learned how to punch in their 20's in many cases.

Conor does have reach tho. 74" reach is pretty remarkable. I think he has heavy hands. Wont land anything big on Floyd!

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
              hard to tell

anyone is a hard puncher with 4 ounce gloves on
              So why did it take 10 years for Jose Aldo to fall? Every single person tried and failed to do what Conor did in 13 seconds. What about Eddie Alvarez? Dropped 4 times and KO'd, something never done by a previous opponent in 4oz gloves. How about Nate Diaz? Never dropped in his career from a 4oz glove until he met Conor and was put down like a cow in a slaughter house 3 times in 2 rounds.

You make it sound so easy. Like everyone wearing 4oz gloves should boast KO records like Conor's. Well they don't and the reason McGregor is the name that he is is because he did what all the others could not.

Comment

Originally posted by commonsense View Post
                So why did it take 10 years for Jose Aldo to fall? Every single person tried and failed to do what Conor did in 13 seconds. What about Eddie Alvarez? Dropped 4 times and KO'd, something never done by a previous opponent in 4oz gloves. How about Nate Diaz? Never dropped in his career from a 4oz glove until he met Conor and was put down like a cow in a slaughter house 3 times in 2 rounds.

You make it sound so easy. Like everyone wearing 4oz gloves should boast KO records like Conor's. Well they don't and the reason McGregor is the name that he is is because he did what all the others could not.
                But the fact is, Conor wont be wearing 4oz gloves, they will be 10oz gloves and as soon as Conor has had some fights and I'm talking about boxing matches wearing 10oz gloves, then we can rate Conor's power or lack of it - against pro boxers.

Comment

Oscar
                  Hatton
                  Marquez
                  Mosley
                  Ortiz
                  Cotto
                  Guerrero
                  Canelo
                  Maidana x2
                  Pacquaio
                  Berto

It's idiotic to even try and claim McGregor isn't a big puncher in his sport. He's knocked people senseless in nearly every fight he had in the UFC. Giving people 4oz gloves, boxers or whoever, doesn't transform them into superman punchers. There seems to be a weird inferiority complex with boxing fans sometimes. it's actually cringe.

Whether he can punch with boxers, that remains to be seen but all evidence so far points to it.
                  Last edited by LacedUp; 07-16-2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
                    But the fact is, Conor wont be wearing 4oz gloves, they will be 10oz gloves and as soon as Conor has had some fights and I'm talking about boxing matches wearing 10oz gloves, then we can rate Conor's power or lack of it - against pro boxers.
                    There's very little difference between 4oz and 10oz gloves.
                    The technique is what makes the difference, not the gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
                      Obviously Guerrero, he's been training with his hands for 20+ years. Hitting hard isn't only about who's more heavy-handed, but who's more accurate and uses correct technique and timing. McGregor KOs guys with 4oz gloves, who aren't trained to defend punches specifically, that makes a big difference.
                      So did Malignaggi, it doesn't mean he's a bigger puncher.

Comment

Working...
                      X