No announcement yet.

Is AJ a Hype Job?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
    Dude is what I term a "Super Heavyweight" and he's gotten where he's gotten based on pure size and power. If you take away his size there is nothing special there at all. Sorry, I know it sucks for his fans to read but make him Andy Ruiz's size and tell me does AJ even contend for a belt outright. The answer is no.
    His size, like his fighting ability, has been artificially inflated.

If he stopped pumping iron, guzzling protein shakes, and putting whatever else he's putting into his body, he'd be nothing more than a skinny black man. He'd probably go down to Wilder's weight, about 220 lbs. He wasn't a natural champion, he was a made champion. His entire identity is built upon lies.

Real champions are born, not made.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      He was doing great but Ruiz knocked him out in 4 rounds and that changes everything. He might lose the rematch and get knocked out again. He may never be a champion again. You are obviously a huge fan of his. All this about him retiring as the best heavyweight since Lewis might just be some very wishful thinking on your part. The rematch with Ruiz will tell if AJ's career goes up or down.
      I don't know which bout you watched but the one I watched ended in the 7th rd. All the greats lost and it never took anything away from their greatness. The only reason why AJ gets a lot of hate and people are making the Ruiz defeat everything about his career is because of how successful he's and how he came out of nowhere taking on all comers and earning huge money (and partly due to the irritating big mouthed Hearn who lives vicariously through him). People naturally just hate success story. Sugar Ray Robinson lost to British journeymen. Ali lost to a lot of mediocre boxers. Sugar Ray Leonard lost. Lennox Lewis got KO'd twice by pedestrian boxers. Etc. It's boxing and on your off day, anyone can look rubbish but that doesn't define their body of work.

The guy has fought 24 pro fights but he's solely being judged based on one fight when he wasn't fully fit. Who gets a psychologist and Navy SEAL to help a week leading up to a fight? The week leading up to the fight and on fight night you could tell something wasn't right. In due course, everything will come out in the open and there's a reason why he didn't fire his coach. However, he's going to keep his distance from Hearn for the time being, pending what happens in the rematch and get rid of some duplicitous en****** in his team. Everything will unravel soon.

A 90% fit Josh would destroy Ruiz. Ruiz doesn't really do anything special apart from having fast hands. And someone must've told him Josh wasn't prior to the fight, hence he kept throwing those flurries with reckless abandon. He won't do that in the rematch once he feels the real power. The guy doesn't even move his feet and he ploddes forward with flurries, setting himself open for an uppercut...which is Josh's money weapon.

No, I'm not a huge Josh fan. He's just the best and most complete heavyweight fighter out there despite his obvious flaws. He does the basic well and he has power in both hands. he's also sneakily fast for a guy that big. I support the best and a success story. He's also a great ambassador of British boxing. Ruiz will get flattened in the rematch if Josh is himself. And Josh would go on to destroy Wilder and Fury before hanging up his gloves. Hopefully, the undisputed will happen after the rematch because I don't see Josh taking the WBO mandatory because he's going to play it safe henceforth. The era of taking tough fights is over - he can't keep carrying the division forever, the rest also need to step up and start unifying and cleaning up the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Deontay Wilder View Post

If he stopped pumping iron, guzzling protein shakes, and putting whatever else he's putting into his body, he'd be nothing more than a skinny black man. He'd probably go down to Wilder's weight, about 220 lbs. He wasn't a natural champion, he was a made champion. His entire identity is built upon lies.

You'd have a point if your idol wasn't the most overrated and manufactured bum ever.

You don't make a silver medal at the world championships after coming out of jail 3 wks prior and you definitely don't make an olympic gold medalist. I'll take you seriously when the Alabama bum starts unifying and fighting young boxers who're 100% fit.

Comment

Overhyped? Not quite as good as advertised? Possibly, but this is professional boxing we're taking about here.
          A complete and utter hype job? I'd say no, based on his career prior to Ruiz, especially when compared to his contemporaries.

I don't recall hearing "Klitschko's washed up" prior to in the immediate aftermath of the fight, only when people decided they wanted to boost Wilder.

I regard Fury as today's most talented heavyweight but outside of Wilder, Klitschko (who I feel Fury didn't get enough credit for) and Chisora (at the time), his resume is kinda thin too.

I don't think it's right to hold Fury's problems post Klitschko against Joshua so for me, he earnt his place at the head of the division. Whether he can regain it is another matter.
          Last edited by Cobra Curry; 07-17-2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

In fairness, should Wilder beat Ortiz you'll no doubt be declaring him the greatest champion since Joe Louis, based on his title defences. Wouldn't that be over hyping, based on the level of opposition? I'd even call into question this "hardest puncher ever" tag based on the same thing.

Comment

It seems like that is what the answer would incline to. I must admit AJ has some skills in boxing but not near the point to where they hype him up.

Comment

Definitely overhyped to the moon, but AJ has some legit wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                  I agree. Some good wins but mostly overhyped IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
                    I would say yes, but getting up from that punch by Wlad makes me think he is for real. Then again, quitting against Ruiz makes me think he isn't for real.

So I am unable to answer the question in a comprehensive manner.

Ask Eddie Hearn; he would know for sure.
                    This....^^^^^

Shalom brother..
                    Perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                      My Gizaaaaye cousin and his man, both social justice civil rights attorneys, want AJ to be the baloney in their Jomo sandwich..

I’m broke, my Jomo cousin is rich, AJ is on their dream menu..

I gotta throw up now..... disgusting,..

Comment

Working...
                      X