Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama deported 2.5 million immigrants...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    I have no problem deporting illegal immigrants. My problem with deportation is it focuses too much on Mexicans and brown skinned immigrants and not enough (IMO) on Canadian and northern Europeans.

I also think English should be the official language of the US.

those goddamn canadians coming here and raping our women and taking our jobs!

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
      Yes, she should be deported if she is here illegally.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
        those goddamn canadians coming here and raping our women and taking our jobs!
        LMFAO!! For me its more about taxes than it is about crime.

I think Canadians and northern Europeans are also working here illegally and are not contributing the tax dollars they should. So they should be sent back same as any other illegals.

Comment

Yes, she should be deported if she is here illegally.

Not bad.

My point is, on a social and economic scale in terms of immigration, Mexico and countries south of it are a just a little more relevant than Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post

Not bad.

My point is, on a social and economic scale in terms of immigration, Mexico and countries south of it are a just a little more relevant than Canada.
            I agree with you to a degree. Most Americans don't really care if Canadians and europeans are here illegally. My problem is as a country we have prioritized dark skinned illegals over non dark skinned illegals.

IMO we should go after all illegals, devoting more resources in Southern and Western US where the problem has a more significant impact.

In Jersey our problem is more African and Hatian immigrants here illegally. Obviously not as significant as Mexican in South/West US but an issue nonetheless.
            Last edited by The Big Dunn; 01-19-2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
              If they are here illegally, they are not working legally. Legal immigrants/residents get green cards so taxes can be deducted from their paychecks (and I believe SS, but I may be incorrect on that).

We have laws. And if they are on the books we have to follow them.
              A migrant, if he arrives in a country illegally, can still work legally while their case is being investigated and while they have been given permission to stay within the confines of the country.

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
              BTW guys, those numbers are not accurate. As often happens, it's about DC political speak rather than proper English. This link explains the way it's done quite well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c80dcab47907

From said source:

"What is the trend in deportation of immigrants under the Obama administration? This seemingly simple question is proving very hard to answer. Consider three characterizations from recent media reports. Here is The Economist in February 2014:

America is expelling illegal immigrants at nine times the rate of 20 years ago; nearly 2m so far under Barack Obama, easily outpacing any previous president.

In April, the Los Angeles Times wrote:

A closer examination shows that immigrants living illegally in most of the continental U.S. are less likely to be deported today than before Obama came to office, according to immigration data. Expulsions of people who are settled and working in the United States have fallen steadily since his first year in office, and are down more than 40% since 2009.

And last week, Julia Preston of the New York Times reported that in the fiscal year 2013, the immigration courts saw a 26 percent drop in the number of people who have been deported, thereby producing:

… a different picture of President Obama’s enforcement policies than the one painted by many immigrant advocates, who have assailed the president as the ‘deporter in chief’ and accused him of rushing to reach a record of 2 million deportations. While Obama has deported more foreigners than any other president, the pace of deportations has recently declined.

Somehow, the Obama administration is simultaneously responsible for the highest rate of deportation in 20 years and a 26 percent drop in deportation. What is going on here? As it turns out, changes in immigration law, terminology and classification are causing this confusion.

One problem is the continued use of “deportation” in virtually all media reporting. In actuality, that category has been obsolete in immigration law since 1996. Prior to 1996, immigration law distinguished between immigrants who were “excluded,” or stopped and prevented from entering U.S. territory, and those who were “deported,” or expelled from the United States after they had made their way into U.S. territory. After 1996, both exclusion and deportation were rolled into one procedure called “removal.” At that point, the term “deportation” no longer had any meaning within the official immigration statistics. Its continued use in media reports is part of the confusion."
              The 26% drop is not a drop in total deportations or if you want to nit pick, removal and inhibition of migrants to the US but a drop from a previous point in Obamas administration to whenever that number was collected. That does not change the raw numbers.

Comment

I agree with you to a degree. Most Americans don't really care if Canadians and europeans are here illegally. My problem is as a country we have prioritized dark skinned illegals over non dark skinned illegals.

IMO we should go after all illegals, devoting more resources in Southern and Western US where the problem has a more significant impact.

In Jersey our problem is more African and Hatian immigrants here illegally. Obviously not as significant as Mexican in South/West US but an issue nonetheless.
                By why should all migrants arriving in a country illegally be deported? It was illegal immigrants that built your country and much of the western world in the first place.

If a person has to leave a warzone, crime, politically instability etc and go somewhere else to live a secure or better life, then they should accept them. That does not mean you accept everyone, as some people arriving illegally maybe lying about situations or be criminals but every case should be investigated.

Let's also not forget that it is US foreign policy, financial restrictions and military invasions that have led to large numbers of the worlds refugees having to move about. We also should not forget it is some of the worlds poorest countries that have the largest illegal immigration populations to deal with.

Comment

I agree that regardless of skin color, the laws on the books regarding illegal immigration should be fairly applied.

But we share an actual physical land border with Mexico. They share a border with Central America. And so on.

It's more about numbers and proximity, than flat out racism.

I live in the state capital of California. YMMV.
                  Last edited by Sweet Pea 50; 01-19-2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    A migrant, if he arrives in a country illegally, can still work legally while their case is being investigated and while they have been given permission to stay within the confines of the country.
                    Can you source that?

I find it hard to believe one would come illegally and then they get "permission" to stay while they investigate. What's to investigate, the guy is illegal?!?!

The 26% drop is not a drop in total deportations or if you want to nit pick, removal and inhibition of migrants to the US but a drop from a previous point in Obamas administration to whenever that number was collected. That does not change the raw numbers.
                    The source said what it said. Now my point wasn't so much to dispute the numbers, it was to show how DC double-speak makes it tough for average Americans to find out what the real story is. Lifer politicians do that, btw.

Comment

It was illegal immigrants that built your country and much of the western world in the first place.
                      Completely false. Even those revisionists who try and say it was built on slave labor cant say that, as the slaves were legally here.

If a person has to leave a warzone, crime, politically instability etc and go somewhere else to live a secure or better life, then they should accept them.
                      We do that for some immigrants.

We accepted EVERYONE from Cuba who made it to US soil, though Obama just rescinded that humanitarian policy.

Comment

Working...
                      X