Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Floyd would have been able to take rounds off Hearns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
    Except you forgot all these no name fighters that went the distance with him-

Luigi Minchillo
    Murray Sutherland
    Ernie Singletary
    Mike Colbert
    Alfonso Hayman
    Doug DeWitt

Hearns was a great great fighter but he wasn't invincible, if he cant hit you then a major part of him is nullified, his number one asset is his power, with his reach and length punching with such power means he is ungainly in his foot work because they always spread a little and some what anchered and guys with great footwork always gave him problems, its how Ray beat him and its how Marvin Koed him.

Floyd can cause Hearns lots of problems because he would be so elusive and he wouldn't ever be in Hearns prime punching range, Floyd would be always right outside or inside because he has the speed and ring IQ to out maneuver him , if Hearns can land with his jab and get the right hand home well you gunna truly find out what Floyds chin is really made off.

Hearns has size and power while Floyd has speed and angles, I personally don't think Floyd could give so much size away to such a great fighter, but Floyd is very hard to hit clean and in the later rounds Hearns gets a little ragged with his punches, Floyd is also a better boxer than Ray he just doesn't have his size and power, its no walk in the park for Hearns and Floyd has the ability to steal a UD, if Floyd was the same size he beats all them guys, I just don't think he can beat them at 147-154, now 135-140 that's a different set of fights and Floyd might beat them all at those weights.
    if floyd/hearns took place in the 80's, same day weigh-in, hearns would just have a height/reach advantage on floyd for the most part, not so much of a weight advantage...., but hearns would be more natural at the weight, and hearns carried the one-punch power of at least a middleweight or super middleweight @ 147 in the right hand, the left hook wasn't shabby, and the jab was a constant piston...hearns just had some serious skills and speed @ 147 that floyd seemed to avoid in similar fighters in his era...

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
      Maidana was the only guy who was succesful at actually countering Floyd's counter punches, especially his "pull counter" which is one of Floyd signature moves
      Maidanna opened up a lot of opportunity by just coming forward and not respecting the potential for those counters from Floyd. I guess he said to himself something to the effect of "Floyd can't hurt me!" Hatton when he fought Floyd unfortunately was already being protected and fighting off his game, regrdless... he fought at a weight where Floyd's power came through.

If one looks at Floyd's entire career and the fights that bothered him, were contraversal, then one can see that a good pressure fighter gave him problems. I always ask myself : what would Duran do if he saw that weakness? what would a guy like Armstrong do lol? These were fellow ATG's who fought at Floyd's weight. There are many more guys but just as a basic sample I mention the above well known fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        Maidanna opened up a lot of opportunity by just coming forward and not respecting the potential for those counters from Floyd. I guess he said to himself something to the effect of "Floyd can't hurt me!" Hatton when he fought Floyd unfortunately was already being protected and fighting off his game, regrdless... he fought at a weight where Floyd's power came through.

If one looks at Floyd's entire career and the fights that bothered him, were contraversal, then one can see that a good pressure fighter gave him problems. I always ask myself : what would Duran do if he saw that weakness? what would a guy like Armstrong do lol? These were fellow ATG's who fought at Floyd's weight. There are many more guys but just as a basic sample I mention the above well known fighters.
        This post demonstrates the greatness of Floyd. We talk about his tough fights and ignore other's losses and tough fights. We never talk about how they would deal with him, instead we only chat about how what they will do to him.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
          lol...hearns was a natural 147 lb. fighter....

so the only way floyd can beat him is to weight drain 'em....lol
          Why does Floyd always have to fight fighers (fantasy fights) outside his natural weight class.....you guys almost never match him up with a 130, 135, or even 140 fighter, its always a welter or higher in their prime vs past prime Floyd at 147.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingTrav View Post
            This post demonstrates the greatness of Floyd. We talk about his tough fights and ignore other's losses and tough fights. We never talk about how they would deal with him, instead we only chat about how what they will do to him.
            Thats a good point. There are some reasons for this apparent oversight. Here are some reasons I see:

1) The curse of the counter puncher... It could be argued that there is nothing so flawless, so incredible to behold, than the application of a perfectly timed counter punch. The check hook Floyd used against Hatton for example. A good counter puncher can make a guy afraid to throw a punch.

However... Counter punchers are susceptible to styles, needing a guy who can be countered. Counter punchers also need the speed and reflexes, remember what happened to James Toney, a great counter puncher, when he fought a prime Jones?

As a great counter puncher Floyd may not have felt the need to go out there and control the fight, dominate the fight from the get-go. This looks less impressive than a KO win, or a fight where one guy leads throughout the fight not setting up for a counter attack.

2) Floyd's brittle hands and his fighting at a heavier weight really diminished his power. So this made it easier for guys to hang in there and keep the fight competative, for example the de la Hoya fight.

What it comes down to is dealing with Floyd was never a particularly chess like proposition. Not that it was any easier than dealing with more complexity but basically one probably felt that they would not have to worry about the KO from Floyd. So if you were Hearns for example, getting ready to fight Floyd, your battle plan is the same plan that most would use pretty much.

Another fighter that is similar is one of my all time favorites, Sweet Pea! The Pea tried to KO Roger Mayweather and almost paid dearly for it! Fighting Whitaker one would not be thinking that one punch could put them on the deck... does not make it any easier just a characteristic of what Whitaker brings to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Code Red View Post
              Why does Floyd always have to fight fighers (fantasy fights) outside his natural weight class.....you guys almost never match him up with a 130, 135, or even 140 fighter, its always a welter or higher in their prime vs past prime Floyd at 147.
              I don't create these types of threads, I just give my opinion on them.

From time to time you will see a thread matching Floyd @ lightweight with Duran, Chavez, Whitaker, etc., but imo welterweight was and always will one of the more significant weight classes, and guys like Sugar, Hearns, Duran, & Hagler, rank very highly on most all-time lists.
              Last edited by djtmal; 11-22-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

You have no idea what you are looking at, you would starve to death if your only job was a boxing talent scout.

You see the hype like a fan, you cant see the mechanics of boxing, there is much of the science of boxing you just don't see, most of the Floyd haters cant even see some of the things he does in a boxing ring.

That's the trouble with the internet, to be great the modern athlete is now against a world full of ******s given a voice, the world is pretty fckd in regard to mob rule influencing the intellect of the mob on a world scale, today the ******s have the loudest voice lol.

When you strip Floyd back to just pure boxing, the man was tactically brilliant and definitely an ATG .
                greenk for this post.

Comment

You have no idea what you are looking at, you would starve to death if your only job was a boxing talent scout.

You see the hype like a fan, you cant see the mechanics of boxing, there is much of the science of boxing you just don't see, most of the Floyd haters cant even see some of the things he does in a boxing ring.

That's the trouble with the internet, to be great the modern athlete is now against a world full of ******s given a voice, the world is pretty fckd in regard to mob rule influencing the intellect of the mob on a world scale, today the ******s have the loudest voice lol.

When you strip Floyd back to just pure boxing, the man was tactically brilliant and definitely an ATG .
                  see thats the problem with these floyd boys...

boxing may be about technical effieciency and brilliance, but prizefighting is about beating the best at their best for money...

calling people ******s and all that s**t shows what level of maturity some of you floyd boys are on, in terms of respecting the opinions of others who at least can make a sensible opinion on what they are looking at, just because they actually took the time to watch the fights....

in other words, take your, you don't know s**t about boxing, a**, somewhere and sit down...

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                    You guys need to stop. Mayweather is a lie. A bronze medalist, not beaten any elite in their prime, in most eyes didn't win vs Maidana or Castillo. He's just not that good. He'd be a decent fighter who'd be giving guys a hard fight but ultimately lose to guys like Hearns, Leonard, Duran, with a high possibility of being stopped by the lot.
                    Originally posted by djtmal View Post
                    see thats the problem with these floyd boys...

boxing may be about technical effieciency and brilliance, but prizefighting is about beating the best at their best for money...

calling people ******s and all that s**t shows what level of maturity some of you floyd boys are on, in terms of respecting the opinions of others who at least can make a sensible opinion on what they are looking at, just because they actually took the time to watch the fights....

in other words, take your, you don't know s**t about boxing, a**, somewhere and sit down...
                    This is the post reloaded responded to.

This isn't a rational fan with a sensible opinion based on fights he saw, this is (like you) a Manny fan that can't bring himself to give Floyd the respect he has earned because he doesn't like him.

You will never get respect if you are not willing to give it.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      This is the post reloaded responded to.

This isn't a rational fan with a sensible opinion based on fights he saw, this is (like you) a Manny fan that can't bring himself to give Floyd the respect he has earned because he doesn't like him.

You will never get respect if you are not willing to give it.
                      it don't make a difference if its a rational fan, a manny fan, or a ceiling fan, if you give an assessment based on what you actually watched, you guys who are gonna forever swing from floyd's nuts, have to take that hard pill and swallow it...calling people stupid, ignorant, don't know s**t about boxing, etc., just shows how weak, immature, and emotional you are...

Comment

Working...
                      X