Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golovkin should just take the 10 million...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think if the fight was next, GGG would take the deal. But with the fight a year away, they can afford to haggle atleast until Canelo gets his May fight out of the way.

Comment

i saw this same post about pacquiao taking the 40 million .....and the guy made close to 200 million

will GGG? no but he could make 20 even 30 million ..... Canelos the bigger draw yes but not as big as he could be with GGG, it takes 2 to tango just like pac and floyd

also like floyd pac i dont see Canelo fighting him untill he takes a loss to ward or someone else

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        You're wrong though, Canelo can't sell that much. The gap has closed, with Canelo losing in fanbase, and Ggg always gaining more. Neither guy can do great or even good numbers with a no name, but together there's no telling. These megafights have a way of busting all expectations.

Canelo also needs Ggg badly to repair his rep. He doesn't wanna be the butt of jokes in his prime years. You see this:

Golden Boy Prez: Canelo Has One Goal - To Fight Golovkin!

http://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-alvarez-gennady-golovkin-fight--109569

Canelo needs GGG much less than the other way around...by far. Dude has been in the ring with hall of famers...

Canelo sold over 200k stateside and has downright ridiculous ratings in Mexico this isn't even a contest. He's not losing fans but 600k people (which is a pretty huge fight numbers wise) arent going to shell out money every time he fights a Smith.. evidenced by Floyd-Berto and some of Manny's fights.

And sure, GGG is building a bit of a fanbase but it'll never be that of Canelo's caliber unless he gets that win. Lets make no mistake about it,GGG sells pretty badly even WITH a decent oponent with a good name in Brook. The UK views were likely 80% for Brook at the least as he's a damn big name there.

Of course Oscar will say GGG is the goal. What else is he going to say? He could eat s hit for the next 3 years and keep saying the same crap and GGG will be on the later side of his 30s by then.

I'm a huge GGG fan so this isn't to s hit on him but you have to look at it from the other side. It's not about defending Canelo its about living in the real world. Is GGG pricing himself out? Not really... I don't believe so but when it comes to the cash cow and the face of boxing reality dictates that he gets what he's offered or nothing. It sucks but that's not just boxing its business

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
          i saw this same post about pacquiao taking the 40 million .....and the guy made close to 200 million

will GGG? no but he could make 20 even 30 million ..... Canelos the bigger draw yes but not as big as he could be with GGG, it takes 2 to tango just like pac and floyd

also like floyd pac i dont see Canelo fighting him untill he takes a loss to ward or someone else
          difference here is

1-GGG is no huge mega star like Manny or Floyd

2-Manny and Floyd are 2 years apart while GGG and Canelo are 8 years apart...

it is now or never for GGG

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
            I think if the fight was next, GGG would take the deal. But with the fight a year away, they can afford to haggle atleast until Canelo gets his May fight out of the way.
            I'd rather have that they get the fight signed sooner rather than later. Don't give GBP any wiggle room. They offer GGG a very short end of the purse as they clearly know they will lose their Cash-cow come september. They want Cash-out Money.

Comment

There's a reason ya'll are sofapoopers and not matchmakers or promoters.

Enough said.

Comment

if that's the only way to make the fight.

and it will actually make the fight

i agree. beat canelo, get on ppv for probably the duration of your prime, and hope that something down the line is built into a megafight.

they could probably earn more than 10 million to fight canelo, but will they? the guy is almost 35 ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                  I'd rather have that they get the fight signed sooner rather than later. Don't give GBP any wiggle room. They offer GGG a very short end of the purse as they clearly know they will lose their Cash-cow come september. They want Cash-out Money.
                  Well we don't know full details, like whether GB gets rights to Golovkin or if the $10mill is conditional to a certain ppb buy rate.

I'm not worried about GB changing their mind if they'll agree to fight GGG in Sept '17. That's the biggest money fight possible, and the idea that Floyd & Manny made more by waiting is flawed because those guys lost out on multiple rematches by waiting so long. If GGG/Canelo is competitive, the rematch would be worth far more than the first fight, so they'd be losing money just putting it off further than '17.

As fans, it'd be nice to have this thing signed already, but even then it's so far away one of these guys could lose, get injured, or look real bad and then it being signed could be irrelevant. I'm more angry about both of them losing their December fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    It's complicated. If you can get an extra 2... or even 5 million, by all means go for it. But, there also comes a risk. A risk you'll be old by the time it happens. Or, that you'll never get the fight at all and instead of gaining 5 million, you lost the chance to get 10. It's a fine line and the managers that negotiate these things are infinitely more knowledgeable about this stuff than any of us. I tend to trust that they are making some smart decisions.

Loeffler has always seemed way too eager for these "get rich quick" type of fights, when he should've been working a long-term angle.

He's wasted years of Gennady's career by having him take step-aside money and waiting for big fights to come to fruition, just to have the whole thing fall apart.

I have no doubt that Tom knows more about managing a fighter than every user on this forum combined, but imho his personal desire to get a mega payday from a single fight has really fúcked up Golovkin's legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post

That's a valid point.

But I can't help but think that the more time goes by, the more likely it is that Oscar and GBP will move the goal posts again. Or find some other reason to stall for time or prevent the fight from happening altogether.

If Gennady signs now, any duckish-type behavior from Canelo or his promoter will be seen for exactly what it is and the fans will hold them accountable.

Comment

Working...
                      X