Spar Critique

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spar Critique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RK5jlPoHbQ

I'm in the black headguard and green T shirt.

I trained at an amateur boxing gym for 5 years.

I had 7 years off then this was my second spar back.

I think I've forgotten a bunch of stuff and my style looks completely different.

I'm thinking of competing in a white collar boxing show in the UK early next year or a sport called sanda (its Chinese kickboxing with throws, box and move is still very effective because if you kick you run the risk of getting thrown).

Originally posted by Stuart_boxer View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RK5jlPoHbQ

I'm in the black headguard and green T shirt.

I trained at an amateur boxing gym for 5 years.

I had 7 years off then this was my second spar back.

I think I've forgotten a bunch of stuff and my style looks completely different.

I'm thinking of competing in a white collar boxing show in the UK early next year or a sport called sanda (its Chinese kickboxing with throws, box and move is still very effective because if you kick you run the risk of getting thrown).
    Impressive.

Quick hands, good movement.

You schooled the other guy.

The issue is that the other guy isn’t that good...

Comment

Nice work. I couldn't see the right hand that you nailed him with but I love that first shot that you threw. Getting low and shooting that straight right hand in to his side. You showed good composure. But why so tall while digging your shots? (obviously shown in the 2 second heavybag clip)? ………...Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
        Impressive.

Quick hands, good movement.

You schooled the other guy.

The issue is that the other guy isn’t that good...
        Agree with Abracada............

Comment

Your rhythm is too predictable. Even your opponent caught or almost caught you with counter right. You bounce around 4 times and then throw a jab.
          Also, your too squared up for long range, especially if your going to leave them elbows out to side and expose your mid section.
          We didn’t see any mid or short range stuff but i’d want to see a much tighter guard when closing the distance, out long it’s fine though.

Done these critiques in the past and didn’t get a thank you or f—k all, so keeping it short and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock&Roll View Post
            Your rhythm is too predictable. Even your opponent caught or almost caught you with counter right. You bounce around 4 times and then throw a jab.
            Also, your too squared up for long range, especially if your going to leave them elbows out to side and expose your mid section.
            We didn’t see any mid or short range stuff but i’d want to see a much tighter guard when closing the distance, out long it’s fine though.

Done these critiques in the past and didn’t get a thank you or f—k all, so keeping it short and simple.
            Good stuff as always Rock..

Comment

Originally posted by Rock&Roll View Post

With that critique as it was I agree with you so thanks.

If it had gone on for longer it might have dented my confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart_boxer View Post
                With that critique as it was I agree with you so thanks.

If it had gone on for longer it might have dented my confidence.
                No probs. I was listening to Harold Parkers on youtube, Golovkin S&C coach. He said it’s great working with him because he listens and happy to follow instructions.
                When comparing GGG resume to his - Olympic pedigree, world amateur champ, Soviet system, Kazakh system, Sanchez/Summit Gym system, German system (first 20 pro fights in Germany) etc
                Golovkin probably knows more than his S&C coach but he’s willing to employ him and listen to him. Same can be said with his main coach Jon Banks.

Boxing is a sport which takes a LONG time to master and there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Try to avoid the cultural trend in regards to insecurities. People aren’t criticising you to belittle you, but to help you. You didn’t ask for positive feedback, you asked for a critical analysis (which is what i gave). Last thing society needs is becoming overly sensitive as it hinders clear communication. End of rant.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Good stuff as always Rock..

Comment

You are doing a good job of countering with your right hand. What I would suggest you is, being that judging by the the video your strategy is to keep the distance and counter from the long range, you could still do the same but add the feints, try provoking him more. If your game is to counter from the long range, you can still do it, but try to play with the distance: Instead of staying at exactly the same distance all the time, feint him with your footwork by making one step forward and stepping to the edge of his arm reach, so he would think you are coming to the pocket and he'll attack you when he thinks you are about to step inside the close range, that's when you step back to the long range and counter him from there. Play with the range, provoke him, feint, step to the edge of his arm reach and get out. Do it again, step to the edge of his arm reach and throw a feint at the same time, make him commit with his own attack when you step in, than step back or to an angle and counter him at that time when he's in a compromised position. Step from long to mid range and step back to long range, play with it, it would make him react to it and attack you without realizing you are setting him up and making him throw a punch at you just to get him out of balance and into a compromised position, and that exact moment is when you are going to step back and counter him. Respect and good luck man!
                    Last edited by Offic.Scorecard; 09-02-2019, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X