Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would guys like Deontay and Anthony Joshua do in Muhammad Ali's era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could see these giants dominating, but I have major reservations over the durability of all three, the moment one faces a puncher who throws punches for a change I can see them coming unstuck fast.

I guess they'd pick up titles but they'd pick up ko losses too.

As for Ali against them I'd be inclined to believe Ali would be out boxed by all three, how he gonna land punch on these guys ? Seriously !

Ali versus Spila and Arreola would be more competitive, hard to pick a winner from those fights.
    Last edited by Jewish-Reptile; 07-17-2016, 06:11 AM.

Comment

It is hard to say.
      When did we ever see any guy in the Ali era, take on an opponent that was as tall and heavy as these guys?
      I am not saying the champions of today are as skilled as an Ali... but when you think Foreman was considered a big heavyweight in his era... he would be dwarfed by today's guys.
      As good as the guys from the Ali era were (and to be honest I am really only talking about 3 or 4 guys), you can't be honest with yourself if you pretend that the size and weight differences, wouldn't be a big factor.... It is almost a different division these days..
      I would actually be interested in seeing how a David Haye would do in Ali's era... back then he would have been a larger sized heavyweight... and he is athletic and powerful, massive reach... I think he would have fit into that era quite well in all honesty.

Comment

yeah the size and height would be a major advantage.
        Ali, foreman etc were like 6 ft 3 and the guys today like Tyson Fury are 6'9, Anthony Joshua 6'5 etc.

Imagine a small guy (relative) like Tyson facing these monsters

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
          It is hard to say.
          When did we ever see any guy in the Ali era, take on an opponent that was as tall and heavy as these guys?
          I am not saying the champions of today are as skilled as an Ali... but when you think Foreman was considered a big heavyweight in his era... he would be dwarfed by today's guys.
          As good as the guys from the Ali era were (and to be honest I am really only talking about 3 or 4 guys), you can't be honest with yourself if you pretend that the size and weight differences, wouldn't be a big factor.... It is almost a different division these days..
          I would actually be interested in seeing how a David Haye would do in Ali's era... back then he would have been a larger sized heavyweight... and he is athletic and powerful, massive reach... I think he would have fit into that era quite well in all honesty.
          all of these new age size mongers give it a break.

Ernie Terrell was almost 6'7 and was one of ali's easiest fights.

and u are talking about haye? hahaha

Comment

Ernie Terell was not undefeated like Deontay Wilder and anthony joshua

Comment

Originally posted by DavidKratos92 View Post
              I think the only guy who would do well in Muhammad Ali's era is a prime Wlad.
              what the... is this tunneys younger brother

Comment

no idea who that is

Comment

Originally posted by DavidKratos92 View Post
                  Ernie Terell was not undefeated like Deontay Wilder and anthony joshua
                  with wins over Zora Folley Cleveland Williams (bob foaster: although undersized) & George Chuvalo. ernie had a WAY better record then not only wilder. but haye, ortiz, & joshua.......

WTF are you new age size mongers talking about

Comment

Okay Deontay and Joshua will have trouble with Ali, but what about the fighters in Ali's era that are like 6 foot tall or under?

how will they even reach 6 ft 9 giants like Tyson Fury?

Comment

Originally posted by Godsfly View Post
                      all of these new age size mongers give it a break.

Ernie Terrell was almost 6'7 and was one of ali's easiest fights.

and u are talking about haye? hahaha
                      Well for a start Terrell was not 6 ft 7... he is listed as 6 ft 6... but to be honest, I would say he was probably about 6 ft 5.5... either way, he is still not as large as any of the current champions... I am not sure what his weigh in weight was, but he is certainly not as thick as Joshua (who he is closest to in size out of the three champions). Secondly, Terrell didn't fight like a big man, he would spend half of the fight hunched up, with his head leaning forward (in the traditional stance of the fighters from that era) and would often go to the inside and sit on your chest... he was not good at being a big man. Thirdly, any of today's champions would easily beat Terrell too... you have your rose tinted glasses on where you automatically believe someone is superior as they are from the past...
                      To disregard the size and weight of today's champions is very naive... there is a reason in the last 20 years the division has been dominated by big men (Lewis, Vitali, Wlad and now Fury, Joshua and Wilder) and it is because a) people are naturally larger these days and b) big men have learnt how to use their sizes to their advantage much more than they did in the past... it is the school of 'Emanuel Steward's, How to be huge".
                      And yes I mentioned Haye... again, he would have been a decent sized heavy in the 60's and 70's and more athletic than most... he is a good athlete. The fact you automatically think he is rubbish compared to the old boys, just proves your naivety... these guys are all human and Haye is a brilliant athlete and would probably have done well in any era.
                      Last edited by craigus1990; 07-17-2016, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X