Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Ward did cheat against Sergey Kovaev, but why didn't Kovalev also cheat back?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Objecitivity View Post
    Why are Sergey Kovalev supporters / fans / rooters complaining about Andre Ward cheating / fouling when Kovalev (presumably) could've also fouled in response to even the playing field? Like how Lomachenko did against Rigondeaux. Were there any particular things that were preventing him from fouling back?

My point is. If Ward was fouling Kovalev, Kovalev should've even the playing field by fouling back and then if Kovalev was truly the better boxer, he should've been able to win with the playing field being evened out.

Of course, I'm referring mainly to the rematch because I do believe Kovalev should've won the first bout but ended up not getting the judge's nod.
    The mindset of a fighter who, from an early age, is taught to observe the rules of the sport, is different from a fighter who does anything he can get away with.
    Of course Kovalev should have gone low blow for low blow with Ward, and it's his mistake not to have, but for a fighter whose instinct is to fight fair and allow the ref to officiate, it's difficult to begin disregarding the rules he's been taught to observe, in the middle of a fight.
    If the ref is allowing Ward fight his typical fight, I doubt if there is any fighter who could beat him. How could they? Ward turns a boxing match into a wrestling match. Ward's style was so successful, I'm surprised we don't see young fighters imitating him.

Comment

he should have. he robbed of us norwood-gainer part 2

fast forward to 4:10 in the video

gainer "thats a bodyshot, another bodyshot."

lmao troll face. notice how they were the same exact shots ward threw. uppercut low blows. these guys were masters at trolling.

Comment

Soviet system fighters are taught to fight clean. It is hard-wired into them. It isn't the first time we saw one perplexed by dirty tactics that an inept referee is not addressing.

Kovalev tried some minor dirty stuff to discourage Ward from holding and grinding inside, but he didn't have an answer for the low blows. He should have blasted Ward low when Ward started doing it.

It doesn't really matter now. The fight will stand as an even more egregious version of Duran-Buchanan to anyone with a fully-functioning brain and eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
          The mindset of a fighter who, from an early age, is taught to observe the rules of the sport, is different from a fighter who does anything he can get away with.
          Of course Kovalev should have gone low blow for low blow with Ward, and it's his mistake not to have, but for a fighter whose instinct is to fight fair and allow the ref to officiate, it's difficult to begin disregarding the rules he's been taught to observe, in the middle of a fight.
          If the ref is allowing Ward fight his typical fight, I doubt if there is any fighter who could beat him. How could they? Ward turns a boxing match into a wrestling match. Ward's style was so successful, I'm surprised we don't see young fighters imitating him.
          I agree with your justification as to why Kovalev didn't foul in retaliation and I haven't got a problem with Kovalev not doing any such thing. My only problem lies with those who are solely blaming Andre Ward without being open to the possibility that Kovalev could've taken such tactics upon his own hands and retaliated himself.

As long as such fans aren't solely blaming Andre Ward and are being at least partially critical of Kovalev, then I haven't got much of a problem. This thread is directed towards those who are putting all the blame on Andre Ward and not even partially being critical of Sergey Kovalev for not adjusting accordingly as he could've done to even the playing field.

My complaint in this thread isn't directed towards Kovalev himself but those aforementioned fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Objecitivity View Post
            I agree with your justification as to why Kovalev didn't foul in retaliation and I haven't got a problem with Kovalev not doing any such thing. My only problem lies with those who are solely blaming Andre Ward without being open to the possibility that Kovalev could've taken such tactics upon his own hands and retaliated himself.

As long as such fans aren't solely blaming Andre Ward and are being at least partially critical of Kovalev, then I haven't got much of a problem. This thread is directed towards those who are putting all the blame on Andre Ward and not even partially being critical of Sergey Kovalev for not adjusting accordingly as he could've done to even the playing field.

My complaint in this thread isn't directed towards Kovalev himself but those aforementioned fans.
            I agree. Ward did what the ref allowed him to do and in pro boxing that varies from fight to fight and ref to ref. So the ref's in charge of enforcing the rules not the fighter. Ward was doing what he usually does, maybe a few more obvious low blows than usual.
            Kovalev should have been prepared for Ward's tactics. He was overconfident, supposedly didn't train hard and when he came up against a top guy who had trained his butt off, he folded.
            That said, Weeks did a terrible job of reffing and ruined the outcome for both fighters.

Comment

Working...
            X