Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you puke when some fans agree to this marination thing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    Boxing has built to big fights historically. The difference now is this generation of fans is more impatient and just likes to complain when there is nothing to complain about. The TS is a perfect example of this. He is using "marination" as code for his real issue, constantly hating on anything related to PBC. Lets look at history to assess the Spence/Crawford situation.

Sugar Ray Leonard beat Benitez in Nov 1979. Hearns beat Cuevas in August 1980. SRL had 5 fights, including 2 with Duran, and Hearns had 3 before they fought each other. The winning built anticipation for the fight.

Now we have Crawford and Spence. Spence has had 3 title defenses and has yet to unify, which we expect will happen in his next fight. Crawford has had 2 defenses of his WBO title.

When there is no reason to build to a fight then they should have it immediately. I think we all agree with that, Wilder/AJ for example should've happened already. We agree Floyd/Manny could've happened well before it did.

In the case of Crawford/Spence, neither has had as many fights as champ as either Leonard or Hearns did. I think it is ok if they build it with one more fight each.

Fan impatience and using code to hide the real agenda doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the build to Spence/Crawford.
    This is pretty accurate.

I also think with the new Fox deal that PBC had some fights needed to be 'marinated' because they have more viewers than before.

Comment

Most fans like it because they are casuals, hardcore boxing fans (which are a small minority) puke at it.

Comment

Marination is gambling. You hope that nothing happens in the interim in or out of the ring. A lot of things can happen. And then there is the expected mismatches fans will have to go through while waiting for the big day.

Comment

Absolutely no benefit for fans. None. If there is, I'd like to know what it is.

But I don't puke.

Comment

Originally posted by BreWall View Post

But I don't puke.
            I absolutely agree doe.

Comment

I like the show, the drama, the patrantries of the sport so marinating gives us that but over marinating is hell no! once 2 rivals are identified (crawford vs spence) they should be building and heading right into that fight no later than a year times not fight everyone else and prolong it as long as you can so you can make as much money as you can before you might take your L.

Comment

How many more fights do they have to take before Spence and Crawford face each other? Two, three?

Comment

Originally posted by genrick View Post
                  I do. It's as if they are part of the team doing the marination
                  and get a portion of the huge money it's supposed to make.

"It's not big enough yet. Let it marinate."
                  Kills me.
                  I hope the Joshua-Ruiz fight killed their "let it marinate mentality"

Comment

Originally posted by genrick View Post
                    I absolutely agree doe.
                    Let them marinate all they want. I'll be looking for more huge upsets like the one we saw last week.

Comment

Originally posted by BreWall View Post

But I don't puke.
                      But I still see some hardcores who are in favour of it.
                      Makes me wonder why they don't just switch to golf or something.
                      They don't belong here.

Point is, all fans should clamour for the Crawford vs Spence after the Porter fight, end of story.
                      Last edited by rickJen; 08-18-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X