Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here ever take up a grappling art as crosstraining?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here ever take up a grappling art as crosstraining?

I've been wanting to dabble into another discipline lately. I was originally thinking of Muay Thai but I love boxing too much to give it up and doing both seems counter productive as hell. I figured it might be better if I take up some kind of grappling/wrestling discipline while still boxing just to learn something new.

I been thinking of taking either Judo or BJJ. I've been interested in both disciplines for a while now. Only thing is I don't know which one I should go for as a boxer (if that matters).

Anyone here have experience with either discipline that can give me some advice?

If you go for judo or bjj, don't think that you're going to be able to do it casually as cross-training. It's more demanding than boxing in that it's a 2-man sport. If you don't show up regularly, the guys you normally train with ate going to advance much quicker than you. Then, you are going to be getting your ass kicked. People think of it as soft contact but it's not. It's brutal. You're getting bruises, choked, joints put in painful positions, etc in everyseason. You can't bring down the tempo, like you can when running, hitting the heavybag, etc. Every day is essentially like sparring is in boxing.

I highly recommend bjj to a boxer as it has a complicated science all its own. Beautiful as it is brutal and I'd still be doing it if it weren't for the fact that boxing let's me exercise at my own pace. BJJ and judo really require you to keep up and also to have a high level of cardio every time you show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      If you go for judo or bjj, don't think that you're going to be able to do it casually as cross-training. It's more demanding than boxing in that it's a 2-man sport. If you don't show up regularly, the guys you normally train with ate going to advance much quicker than you. Then, you are going to be getting your ass kicked. People think of it as soft contact but it's not. It's brutal. You're getting bruises, choked, joints put in painful positions, etc in everyseason. You can't bring down the tempo, like you can when running, hitting the heavybag, etc. Every day is essentially like sparring is in boxing.

I highly recommend bjj to a boxer as it has a complicated science all its own. Beautiful as it is brutal and I'd still be doing it if it weren't for the fact that boxing let's me exercise at my own pace. BJJ and judo really require you to keep up and also to have a high level of cardio every time you show up.
      Thank you for this response

Any particular reason you recommend bjj over judo?

Comment

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
        Thank you for this response

Any particular reason you recommend bjj over judo?
        Judo fking sucks. lol. Actually, it's a fantastic art but you get thrown on your back a LOT. As a tall guy, I hated that and it takes a lot out of you, physically. If you're doing 2 sports, BJJ is a little less physically damaging (IMO) and won't interfere w/ your boxing. That was my experience at least.

Comment

I did a little BJJ too, not for cross training though. Just to learn how to handle myself a bit on the ground. It's not a bad choice.

But honestly the best grappling art to take up to help with boxing would probably be wrestling. It will get you functionally strong and you can even use some of the moves in the clinch.

There aren't many places that teach adult wrestling unfortunately but if you look around some of the MMA spots in your area might offer classes. Around here there are gyms where people can attend separate sessions for striking, groundfighting, and wrestling.
          Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 03-19-2016, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Judo fking sucks. lol. Actually, it's a fantastic art but you get thrown on your back a LOT. As a tall guy, I hated that and it takes a lot out of you, physically. If you're doing 2 sports, BJJ is a little less physically damaging (IMO) and won't interfere w/ your boxing. That was my experience at least.
            I feel you on that, most tall people I know tend to either hurt their back a lot or have back problems

makes me feel a little better about being 5'6 cause I've never had an issue

Comment

I've been wanting to dabble into another discipline lately. I was originally thinking of Muay Thai but I love boxing too much to give it up and doing both seems counter productive as hell. I figured it might be better if I take up some kind of grappling/wrestling discipline while still boxing just to learn something new.

I been thinking of taking either Judo or BJJ. I've been interested in both disciplines for a while now. Only thing is I don't know which one I should go for as a boxer (if that matters).

Anyone here have experience with either discipline that can give me some advice?
              Coming from a guy who fights both boxing and MMA, stay away from Muay Thai if you wanna stick to boxing as your sport. It will mess your stance/ punching technique up big time. Judo is good in learning how to control a person in a clinch, any grappling sport actually is good for the hands, as they build tremendous grip strength. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMayhem View Post
                Coming from a guy who fights both boxing and MMA, stay away from Muay Thai if you wanna stick to boxing as your sport. It will mess your stance/ punching technique up big time. Judo is good in learning how to control a person in a clinch, any grappling sport actually is good for the hands, as they build tremendous grip strength. Good luck!
                Yeah I definitely think I'm gonna stick to boxing when you put it that way. Taking up Muay Thai would basically be like starting from scratch and at this point in my life (26) that would be a bad idea.

I'm probably gonna take up Judo very soon since there appears to be a good dojo not far from me.

Thanks a lot for this post

Comment

Foxx always gives level headed answers and I agree with him, BJJ would probably be best. My thought behind it is any other art will totally mess with your boxing strength and conditioning and/or boxing stance. Judo and Muay thai will totally confuse you with your boxing stance and wrestling requires different strength training than boxing. Also Ive heard to become decent as a wrestler you have to live wrestling kinda like boxing. BJJ isnt easy by any means easy, but its an intelligent martial art (not saying others are not) but it requires more thought than strength which I think can mentally help in boxing and not mess with your boxing routines.

Comment

It think Judo is better for boxing as the things you learn have some applicability to boxing when you are in the clinch. I've been a Judoka since I was 11. Its application in boxing is over looked.

I mean I'm not going to drive some one to the ropes and give them a head and arm osoto like Rousey does but you do learn how to push someone around effectively and efficiently. You get a lot of boxers just burning energy in tight or in the clinch because they dont know how to push another man around.

Sure as strong as I am I could simply bury my head and shove them around like a bull but I'd rather use technique, leverage, angles, and a knowledge of anatomy(really important FYI) to move them easily and efficiently and force them to burn energy trying to stop me.

I was in my prime in Judo in the 90s when the high level competition and rules of the time made it all about a war of attrition, later rule changes in the late 90s sped things up. So knowing how to force a man to burn energy while you conserve was very important.

As for newaza (ground fighting) not really applicable but great for conditioning.

If you are worried about Judo ****ing up your stance just learn left handed Judo. Lots of top Judokas use a left handed grip and stance. Rousey is one of them. As is my judo idol Koga.

Oh and learning to fall has a nice boxing bonus too. I've never whip-lashed my head on the mat which usually knocks you the **** out.
                    Last edited by GTTofAK; 03-25-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X