No announcement yet.

Roman Boxing Gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman Boxing Gloves

This is pretty cool. What I found scary is that the gloves used in competition had metal in the gloves. That's hardcore!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-43120942

Originally posted by PeterinMI View Post
    This is pretty cool. What I found scary is that the gloves used in competition had metal in the gloves. That's hardcore!

I guess that squashes the rumor of the Brits inventing boxing.

It was the Romans!

SPARTICUS!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PeterinMI View Post

Great find! Thats interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        Great find! Thats interesting.
        Im curious what the rules of the match might have been.

Comment

In one version the contestants sat on stone blocks facing each other with knees knocking. They wore the spiked gloves. But the exact rules and equipment varied widely with the time period. The fact that Theogenes (Theagenes) remained undefeated in well over a thousand such bouts, won multiple championships in both boxing and pankration, and even one for long distance running, must make him a favorite candidate for greatest athlete of all time by recitation of his achievements alone.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            Im curious what the rules of the match might have been.
            There is a lot of information coming in at different angles when we try to determine such things: For example, Plato and other Greek historians matter-of-factly site Egyptian sources that spoke of Atlantis. It is automatically assumed that this is mythological in nature, when in fact there is no reason to make that assumption, Plato in the Timiteus and Critis is very clear on his sources and what they say.

When we look at an athletic event, we make certain assumptions. Usually we assume that the older event was more brutal, more sinister is some fashion: So for example, in Meso-American culture, they played a game, like Lacrosse where the losing team was sacrificed during some games to the Gods. Well, first of all, we don't know if that was a regular policy. Also, most warriors playing this game had a different understanding of this process, it might even have been an honor.

The Roman gladiator games became corrupt and really bloody with certain emprors, I think Nero and Caligula were some of the worse offenders, but before that there was a code and many times the gladiator who won, spared the other participant.

In this particular contest, where iron gloves were worn, it looks to me that the main thing to overcome was balance. Superficial smacks to the body no doubt stung, but given the chains, the seated position, one probably could drastically affect the balance of the other guy! So who knows? lol. It may have been a bloodbath, but not necessarily.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              In one version the contestants sat on stone blocks facing each other with knees knocking. They wore the spiked gloves. But the exact rules and equipment varied widely with the time period. The fact that Theogenes (Theagenes) remained undefeated in well over a thousand such bouts, won multiple championships in both boxing and pankration, and even one for long distance running, must make him a favorite candidate for greatest athlete of all time by recitation of his achievements alone.
              I thought I had read that one arm was chained to the other man...which would have actually made for a very interesting contest. Great skill in timing, etc. just pull on you a bit...as you commit to the strike bringing you just past my head, and ino my counter blow, lol.

Comment

Reading all these interesting takes on historical boxing two things are clear.

1. Boxing is ancient. And by ancient I mean at least Bronze age ancient.
                2. Boxing, in its primal form, was brutal. Brutal in the sense that it really wasn't a sport as much as a likely death match.

Fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  I guess that squashes the rumor of the Brits inventing boxing.

It was the Romans!

SPARTICUS!!!!!!!!!!
                  Nope the greeks

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Nope the greeks
                    I can tell you something else the greeks invented, something Anorak likes.

Comment

Working...
                    X