No announcement yet.

He spends $230 per week on his commute

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He spends $230 per week on his commute

Six days a week, Ricarte Burgos wakes up at 3:30 a.m. to drive halfway across Massachusetts to get to work.

Fortunately, the 40-year-old Springfield resident narrowly avoids the morning traffic jam along the Massachusetts Turnpike at that hour. But the journey carries with it considerable cost and sacrifices, and is fraught with variables including accidents on the highway and the availability of parking upon reaching his destination, among other things.

And Burgos, who’s lived in Western Massachusetts for more than three decades, is not alone. He is one of thousands of Hampden County residents who regularly make the 85-mile commute across the state through Eastern Massachusetts’ increasingly congested roadways to tap into Boston’s thriving job market, according to data from the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization.

The 2017 report, which looks at long-distance commuting in the Boston region, found that roughly 10,000 residents in Hampden, Hampshire, Berkshire and Franklin counties travel to Boston regularly.

“There are indications that despite the long distance, significant demand may exist for full- or part-time commutes between Boston and Western Massachusetts,” the report finds.

Burgos says he spends roughly $230 a week on gas and tolls alone (not counting parking) to make the trip from East Forest Park in Springfield to the Greater Boston area and back. That figure, including daily parking and meter fees in downtown Boston, makes up about one-fourth of his biweekly paycheck.

But what’s more costly, he says, is the 20 or so hours a week of sheer time spent on the road — an estimate that takes into account the fact that “you never know what you’re going to get" on the Mass. Pike. It significantly reduces the time he could be spending with his three young children.

“If there’s an accident, there’s times where you’re going to be driving for three hours,” Burgos said, adding he’s clocked trips out of metro Boston along the Pike at 4 hours or more.

After driving for two hours Ricarte Burgos takes a couple of minutes to compose himself before he walks into work. (Douglas Hook / MassLive)
    Burgos works for a union-based insulation company in Boston, where most of his company’s contracting work is concentrated. While his employer offers a small stipend for travel expenses, Burgos says it’s largely absorbed by union fees.

Burgos has worked for non-union insulation companies in Springfield, but said working conditions were not ideal; and with the region’s shrinking job prospects, he said it’s unlikely he’ll find stable work in Western Massachusetts.

But living in the less populated part of the state — or any rural community outside of metro Boston — and having to drive toward the city presents a significant logistical challenge that has long proven frustrating, time-consuming and unreliable. Traffic congestion in the Greater Boston region is now the worst in the country, according to the Global Traffic Scorecard.

MassDOT’s congestion report released earlier this year attributes the worsening congestion to the region’s prosperous economy, and to the growing population and labor force. But the report also notes that Eastern Massachusetts’ transit system “is full, if not overflowing,” making it especially vulnerable to even minor crashes, which can have “significant and cascading effects on surrounding roads.”

“People are upset with the length of their commutes, but what especially frustrates them is the daily uncertainty of just how long that commute might be,” the report says.

But the broader economic windfall continues to miss Western Massachusetts. In Franklin and Berkshire counties, the population is declining and aging, and incomes in rural areas tend to be lower — though housing prices also tend to be lower, according to data from the state’s Rural Policy Advisory Commission.

Congestion has also hindered opportunities for self-employed business owners who depend on work in Greater Boston and its surrounding suburbs. A 64-year-old Palmer resident, who’s regularly commuted across the state for work, says he’s now semi-retired because of lost business in Eastern Massachusetts.

The Palmer resident, who declined to give his full name due to the nature of his occupation, said after nearly three decades in law enforcement he’s had to “give up his Boston clients” because the commute was no longer “cost-effective or practical.”

“I couldn’t be productive anymore,” he said. “There was no way to get (to Boston) unless you leave at 5 a.m.”

The east-west rail solution

State lawmakers in the western part of the state have for years been pushing for transportation solutions to link Western Massachusetts to the Greater Boston area, pointing to the increasing number of constituents who make the journey on a regular basis for work.

“In Western Massachusetts, what you’re seeing is a generation of people feeling like they need to leave in order to find opportunities for decent work,” said state Sen. Eric Lesser, D-Longmeadow, who’s been spearheading an effort to study the feasibility of bringing east-west rail service to Springfield and parts further west.

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation convened an advisory group to look at the missing connection. But the legislation enabling the feasibility study lacked the crucial support to become law in 2015, 2016 and 2017. After passage in both chambers, Gov. Charlie Baker vetoed the legislation in 2016, Lesser said.

The governor’s longstanding relationship with Peter Picknelly, the Springfield business leader whose Peter Pan bus company is currently the main provider of mass transit from Springfield to Boston — a connection that raised questions following the veto.

Besides Peter Pan, there is one Amtrak train from Springfield to Boston that picks up at around noon; but Lesser said the train is a one-way ride and frequently late.

“To truly connect the economies you need a rail service,” he said, “and the trains need to go fast.”

On the two-hour journey many of the passengers fall asleep on the way to Springfield. The bus stops in Worcester then Springfield where passengers can be connected to other parts of Western Mass. (Douglas Hook / MassLive)
    In 2018, Baker committed to the study. The advisory group has identified six different scenarios involving upgrades and new connections to existing rail to link Pittsfield, Springfield and Worcester to Boston. The analysis of the different rail configurations is expected to wrap up in the spring of 2020, Lesser said.

Burgos said ideally he’d like to see a fast and reliable rail service connecting the regions that would help offset the costs associated with long-distance vehicle travel.

Still, Burgos says he expects train travel would take away from time at home.

“An hour commute would be nice; forty-five minutes would be awesome,” he said. “But this is Boston. I don’t see that happening.”

The largest expenses for Ricarte Burgos are parking and fuel as well as wear and tear on his vehicle on the 170-mile daily round trip he makes six days a week. (Douglas Hook / MassLive)
    Public support for an east-west rail is mounting. A MassINC Polling Group survey commissioned by the Barr Foundation found 78 percent of voters say they back the effort. The poll surveyed 709 voters registered in Massachusetts, through online collection of responses between Dec. 19, 2017 and Jan. 9, 2018.

But lawmakers outside Greater Boston are still wary about the impact of rail-based transportation solutions would have on the pocketbooks of working-class people.

“The investment is so important, but ... we need to make sure it’s not just something for wealthy people,” said state Rep. Lindsay Sabadosa, a Northampton Democrat. “We need to make sure we’re not just gentrifying Western Massachusetts. Anytime a transportation hub is created, there’s always gentrification around it.”

Sabadosa is also a member of the east-west rail advisory group, and a ‘super commuter’ herself. She says she averages about 1,000 miles a week. Additionally, congestion heading into Boston plays a role in the scheduling of meetings in the state legislature, Sabadosa said.

Sabadosa says building a rail link to the western part of the state is not just about convenience — it’s a necessity.

“We are 80 miles outside of Boston,” she said. “I mean 80 miles out of New York City, you have trains.”

And there is a rail link from Springfield to New York City with trains that run out of Springfield’s new Union Station, which opened in June of 2017. There are dozens of trains that head south to New Haven, Connecticut, providing Springfield with a link to Manhattan through Metro-North or Amtrak, a stark contrast to the one train from Springfield to Boston each day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mas...outputType=amp

They don’t have trains in Boston? At this point I would move or look for another job

Comment

He spends more money on his commute than boxingscene posters make working at Wendys.

Comment

American capitalism at work!

We could be having bullet trains in America that would take you from New York to Texas within several minutes!

Comment

This reminds me of something I read not long ago.

Its pretty good...here it is:

At my previous job I slept in my car outside the building where I worked for six months to avoid my long commute. It absolutely changed my life for the better.

WARNING: Long story

After I graduated college in June 2018, I moved back home with my parents. I had no job prospects upon graduation nor did I have any relevant experience or decent connections. All I had was an Econ degree and a 2.8 GPA, considering I wanted to go into finance, I was pretty ****ed.

Eventually two months later, after hundreds of rejected applications and five failed interviews, I got an offer. It was for an accounts payable role paying $17/hour at a big company. The office was in a city 45 miles from my home in a city with a very high cost of living.

Despite the commute and low salary I took the job. I didn't really have much choice. I had student loans to pay off and I was naive and desperate. And I figured since it was a big firm if I worked hard and got to know the right people, I could land myself a better position later on.

The commute was terrible. I started work at 9 am and was done at 6 pm. If I left my house at 6-7 am, it still took me two hours to get to the office. Going home was just as bad. If I got home earlier than 8 pm, I considered that a good day. I spent about 4 hours+ each day in my car. I was also driving a small SUV so gas was rough.

After six months I was ready to crack. I would come to work already drained and coming home I just didn't have the energy or time for any hobbies. All I would do is watch tv or play video games. The job was dead end; what I was mostly doing was data entry, I hadn't learned anything of value to me professionally. Also a large portion of my salary was going to gas. And I was gaining weight from eating fast food after work. Moving to the city was not an option due to the area I worked in being very expensive.

Then one day I was having lunch with my coworker and we were discussing his upcoming vacation plans. His plan was he was going to drive to the office the next week, work the whole day and then uber to the airport from the office.

I was confused, what about his car? My coworker was surprised and he told me as we were employees we were allowed to leave our cars overnight in our office parking structure for as long as we wanted. All we had to do was sign a document saying if anything happened to our car the company wasn't responsible. It was a common thing since the office was close to the airport and it was more convenient to just uber. And right there, everything changed.

At that point for the next six months this was my routine:

Every Sunday I would pack my clothes and meal prep for the week and drive down to my office that night since traffic was much lighter. My office was accessible 24/7, so I would come in and store all food in the refrigerators. My office also had a 24/7 onsite gym with showers so I would go there, shower and brush my teeth.

I would then go to my car parked all the way at the top of the structure. I'd roll down the windows slightly for air and then put up my windshield cover. My car had very dark tints so I never had need to cover my windows. I then would go to sleep. Luckily with an SUV, I had plenty of leg room.

Monday morning I would wake up at 7 am, go to the gym and get a workout in. I'd brush my teeth and shower and get into the office by 8:30. I was never ever late again. I'd work until 6 pm and then eat my dinner I stocked in the fridge. Once I was done with work, I would stay at the office (it was common for people to work late so no one ever batted an eye at me) and look up tutorials on certain skills I wanted to gain. I learned advance excel, financial modeling, certain softwares, etc. Then at around 9-10 pm, I would go back to the gym, shower and brush my teeth and go sleep in my car. I would repeat this the rest of the week until Friday when I drove home.

I improved significantly. Meal prepping healthy food and working out allowed me to get back into shape. I was getting around 8-9 hours of sleep per night, so I was much better rested and more productive during the day. I was able to learn skills that were relevant to me and I had slightly better social life in the city I was in since I no longer worried about my commute. I was also driving less, so I was spending less on gas. I also managed to pay off my loans and help my parents out since I was able to save so much.

Nobody knew about this. I would tell my parents I was staying with a friend who charged me cheap rent for staying the week. Since I worked for a big company in a minor role, no one really knew or cared who I was. Not once was my car ever ticketed or towed nor did anyone ever investigate my car at night.

This went on until I resigned two months ago. I had interviewed and accepted a job offer out of state for role I specifically wanted and had been developing myself for. My new firm offered helped pay for relocation and my salary went from $18 to $35 an hour. The job is fantastic and with the money I saved I was able to buy a "newer" used car and get my own studio close to my job. My commute is now 15 minutes max.

EDIT: WOW! I did not expect this to blow up as it has and I sure as hell did not expect all the positivity. I was expecting more people to get mad at me for doing something that errs on the illegal side. But thank you everyone! Please be advised I do not encourage this though.

For anyone who was wondering I was living in Thousand Oaks and my job was in LA. Let's just leave it at that.

For anybody here still in college, the reality is your bachelors alone is not enough. You're also going to need experience or you have to know someone. Internships, connections, clubs, even a high GPA (yes some places did check my grades and I got screwed because of that) does help. Hit up alumni or go to networking events and try to learn practical skills. It's a highly competitive world out there and the world doesn't owe you a thing.

And yes I considered myself very lucky to work for a company with all those perks. And that was one of the reasons why I really thought I could move up here and took the job despite the commute. But instead I was basically a clerk and pretty much everyone outranked and made more than me and treated me as such. What was worse was most of the people there were my age, so the environment was really cliquey and toxic.

And for those who think this is fake due to my account. Well obviously this isn't my main account. Like most people on reddit I have several accounts for different interests. I couldn't post this on my main account because some people know me. I used this one due to it being the most anonymous and because it's my favorite account name.

Comment

back in 07 I think it was i used to commute 6 hours, 3 hours to and 3 hours from. Was a temp job they needed some labor for something in the middle of the desert, after my first check I just rented a hotel in the area with a homie and we just lived in some shitty ass lil town for lil over 3 months then when the job was over we was OUT!

I cant imagine doing that shitty commute everyday for years! was great fucking pay though was racking out over a grand a week take home thats why we did it.

Since we didnt have a family at the time it was no biggie to NOT go back home and just live out a hotel for the time being but I can see peopel who have family where something like that wont be feasible. Because depending on how much you makaing 60 bucks a night for a hotel aint that bad. 30 if you split it with someone.
            Last edited by .!WAR MIKEY!.; 11-10-2019, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
              He spends more money on his commute than boxingscene posters make working at Wendys.
              I get a free lunch so whatevs brah

Comment

Think about all that travel time. Thayst time he'll never get back. No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
                  Think about all that travel time. Thayst time he'll never get back. No thanks.
                  I work with people who commute two hours each way to work. That is four hours per day they are not getting paid for, f*** that.

Comment

That’s what u get for living in the boonies

Comment

Working...
                    X